The Student Room Group

Is this a decent university

Ok so on results day I was very pleased that I achieved:

Law - A
Politics -A
Economics - B

And that I got into Surrey university to study law! After all I thought they were a great UNi, ranked 8th in the guardian league table. But recently I've been told by people that surrey is just an average university; nothing special. I didn't get those grades to go I nothing special so did I sell my self short or is surrey a great place to be?
Reply 1
League tables are worthless, go for where you want to go. You picked Surrey, why? Because you thought it was a great uni, don't be influenced by league tables etc. Everyone has positive and negative things about all unis, and what you make of your time there is important :smile:
Congrats on AAB - great results!
Reply 2
Where would you like to go ? bearing in mind your 2 of your A levels are regarded as non traditional
Reply 3
Original post by TheBigJosh
League tables are worthless, go for where you want to go. You picked Surrey, why? Because you thought it was a great uni, don't be influenced by league tables etc. Everyone has positive and negative things about all unis, and what you make of your time there is important :smile:
Congrats on AAB - great results!

Well Said, thank you. You sometimes feel so crappy about your results on this website when everyone has to undermine each others achievements no matter how minor/major like the douche above me.
Reply 4
Original post by Zenomorph
Where would you like to go ? bearing in mind your 2 of your A levels are regarded as non traditional

Non traditional, what does that even mean? Not like they are 'soft' subjects!?
Reply 5
Original post by Markg125
Non traditional, what does that even mean? Not like they are 'soft' subjects!?

Yes some unis consider politics and law to be soft
Reply 6
Yes some unis consider politics and law to be soft

Ha I can tell by your rep you are deliberately being antagonistic and bitter. bye :biggrin:
Reply 7
I got into Exeter with no 'traditional' A-Levels. I did Psychology, Sociology and Art and had an AS in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ha I can tell by your rep you are deliberately being antagonistic and bitter. bye :biggrin:

Don't listen to them mate. AAB is a great achievement in those subjects - congratulations! As far as I know, Surrey is a well respected uni and is great for law. It's not Russell Group, but I believe it is still highly regarded and will definitely be worth pursuing a law degree at. Good luck!
Reply 9

I think you'd better check out what A levels top unis prefer before being deliberately being antagonistic and bitter. bye . You're on ignore / ban
Ok so on results day I was very pleased that I achieved:

Law - A
Politics -A
Economics - B

And that I got into Surrey university to study law! After all I thought they were a great UNi, ranked 8th in the guardian league table. But recently I've been told by people that surrey is just an average university; nothing special. I didn't get those grades to go I nothing special so did I sell my self short or is surrey a great place to be?

Congratulations on your results! League tables aren't everything and Surrey is still a great uni. Who cares if it's not in the top 10? As long as you like it and you're happy there then that's all that matters.

I think you'd better check out what A levels top unis prefer before being deliberately being antagonistic and bitter. bye . You're on ignore / ban

From my politics class this year people went to places such as Warwick, Bath, Manchester etc and one person got into Oxford. So no, top unis will still accept Politics, especially in combination with more traditional subjects.
Reply 11
Surrey is fantastic. I love that they emphasize the importance of placements and sandwich courses, the campus is also wonderful IMO.
Reply 12
Original post by pink pineapple

From my politics class this year people went to places such as Warwick, Bath, Manchester etc and one person got into Oxford. So no, top unis will still accept Politics, especially in combination with more traditional subjects.

Really ? on what basis ? just because you have an attitude and you insist ? Did you do politics too?

No prizes for guessing who's on ban / ignore.
Reply 14

Well I'd say that he's right about Law, though maybe Politics is a bit better but still rather new.

Anyway, Surrey is a good uni. I don't know about its history but it's certainly doing ok at the moment. People on this website love to say 'uni tables don't mean anything' but they rarely have any evidence to support this. Besides, if you picked it because you like it at least you'll enjoy yourself for a few years too.

Quick Reply

Latest