The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Best mobile phone network for Newcastle?

Visited newcastle uni and I couldn't get much signal in buildings. Thinking my phone network may not have the best coverage for the area.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best mobile phone network for the area?
Original post by ~¯_(ツ)_/¯~
Visited newcastle uni and I couldn't get much signal in buildings. Thinking my phone network may not have the best coverage for the area.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best mobile phone network for the area?

I use three, how old is your phone?
https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/newcastle-upon-tyne
(edited 8 months ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by BankaiGintoki
I use three, how old is your phone?
https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/newcastle-upon-tyne

Only about 5 yrs old.

I'm using lycamobile, according to the signal checker it should have good coverage but it definitely doesnt.
Reply 3
Original post by ~¯_(ツ)_/¯~
Only about 5 yrs old.

I'm using lycamobile, according to the signal checker it should have good coverage but it definitely doesnt.

Sometimes the problem can be with the buildings that you're in/near. Some buildings simply block mobile signals due to the materials they're made of. This can mean that no mobile network gets a signal, or perhaps that some can, but depending on where their masts happen to be.

You might find yourself in the uneviable position of finding that a network that gives a decent signal where you live doesn't give a decent signal where you work (and vice-versa).

Some providers offer a service called "Wi-Fi Calling". This where your phone can make/receive calls by connecting securely through a wireless network. It being 2023, it's likely that your university's wireless network will have pretty decent coverage in its buildings at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending