The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Is the University of Liverpool Considered the Working-Class Version of Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sydney_watts
I didn't feel like writing out, M.Phil, so what? The majority of Americans on here (and they do make up the majority, believe it or not) have no idea what an M.Phil is, and I, myself, am of the opinion it sounds pretentious.

The majority of the TSR userbase is American? ****, I better phone up sales and tell them we're marketing towards the wrong audience.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 21
Moved to University of Liverpool.

Can we please keep this on topic and constructive? This is directed at no single individual.

I didn't feel like writing out, M.Phil, so what? The majority of Americans on here (and they do make up the majority, believe it or not) have no idea what an M.Phil is, and I, myself, am of the opinion it sounds pretentious.

No, they really don't, particularly not active, registered users.
Indeed, I do. I hold a BA from one of those 2 universities and I am now pursuing an MA at that same university. And it has been my experience that many of my fellow students, if not the majority in some colleges, were drawn from the upper-middle and the upper classes, including myself. Sure, there were plenty of people you could point to and say, so-and-so's father was a welder, or she comes from the rough edge of Liverpool, but not nearly enough, in my opinion. Besides, because the elites are small in number they obviously can not dominate any institution, so those that are not from that class can easily be pointed to and it can be said: 'See, we're all not Eton/Roedean graduates; most of the students here come from working-class and middle-class families'. Such a phony cop-out! Obviously, there's more room for just accommodating the sons and daughters of the wealthiest 5% of the British population. Ever ask yourself why the top 5% of the economic ladder makes up 45% - 60% of most colleges at Oxbridge, while they take only .02% of places at most of the Redbricks? You see similar trends at the other unis thought reserved for the posh who couldn't get into Oxbridge, such as Durham, Bristol, UCL, Kings, LSE. But go to the Universities of Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham, and Manchester, and nary a PR speaking, boarding school, 'Father works in the City and my horse's name is Cuddles' type can be found. Mind you, a number of the students will be graduate of 'independent schools', but there is a world of difference between a modest fee-paying, provincial, day school compared to super elite boarding schools like Eton, St Swithun's, Winchester or Roedean. Graduates of these places either head to Oxbridge or the select alternates mentioned. If they have serious money than they go to the Ivy League in America or perhaps one of the swish universities in Switzerland or France.

That's a bit rude towards working class and the middle class people. Not every parents can afford a "super elite boarding school" however they do the best they can with that they've got. We can't all be the "wealthiest 5%" in Britain.
Reply 23
Original post by Thisisgirlworld
That's a bit rude towards working class and the middle class people. Not every parents can afford a "super elite boarding school" however they do the best they can with that they've got. We can't all be the "wealthiest 5%" in Britain.

If you are going to wade in with a stinging complaint about something you've read, make sure you know how to read first. I say this because if you could read anything beyond simple sentence structures you would have realised that I was communicating my sympathy toward working-class people for getting the shaft from elitist institutions such as Oxbridge and a small cadre of expensive boarding schools, which serve as feeders to Oxbridge. I was not condescending down toward working-class. On the contrary, I was making a case for breaking down the old walls of a very unfair class system we still suffer with here in Britain.
(edited 10 years ago)
If you are going to wade in with a stinging complaint about something you've read, make sure you know how to read first. I say this because if you could read anything beyond simple sentence structures you would have realised that I was communicating my sympathy toward working-class people for getting the shaft from elitist institutions such as Oxbridge and a small cadre of expensive boarding schools, which serve as feeders to Oxbridge. I was not condescending down toward working-class. On the contrary, I was making a case for breaking down the old walls of a very unfair class system we still suffer with here in Britain.

From the simple title of this thread, it's rude. I can read "beyond simple sentence structure", I wouldn't be an English Literature student if I couldn't however, the way you worded that would make some people feel quite offended. It certainly makes me feel that way.
Reply 25
....Well, that's just you. And for that matter, who cares what you think. Now get lost and stay there.
....Well, that's just you. And for that matter, who cares what you think. Now get lost and stay there.

I could say the same about you.
Reply 27
Yes Liverpool is the working class equivalent to oxbridge. I liked what another poster said about the roots of Bangor and Aberystwyth being working class though. I wonder if there is a truly working class university, perhaps one of the old poly's? Where the majority of students are from working class backgrounds.
Reply 28
Original post by Arketec
Yes Liverpool is the working class equivalent to oxbridge. I liked what another poster said about the roots of Bangor and Aberystwyth being working class though. I wonder if there is a truly working class university, perhaps one of the old poly's? Where the majority of students are from working class backgrounds.

If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of Liverpool's student body comes from a working-class background. Not sure that would apply to the faculty, as academics - particularly in the arts and humanities - usually derive from a upper-middle-class, or even upper-class background.
Reply 29
If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of Liverpool's student body comes from a working-class background. Not sure that would apply to the faculty, as academics - particularly in the arts and humanities - usually derive from a upper-middle-class, or even upper-class background.

Then Liverpool truly is the working class equivalent to Oxbridge.

22% of Liverpool's young first degree students come from socio-economic classes 4-7. That is lower than King's College London.
Reply 31
Original post by nulli tertius
22% of Liverpool's young first degree students come from socio-economic classes 4-7. That is lower than King's College London.

one's at the top? Only know where I am with the abc1 system.

I don't think liverpool uni was ever particularly working class. Probably full of rich merchants kids back in the day, liverpool's only been synonymous with unemployment and crime among the chatterati for a few decades at most, it used to be manchester's richer, better dressed sibling.
Original post by Joinedup
one's at the top? Only know where I am with the abc1 system.

The Higher Education Statistics Agency collects data on under 21s whose parents are in NS-SEC classes 4-7. A weakness is that no data is collected on class 8 but retirees are attributed to the class in which they last worked. Students are attributed to the class of their higher earning parent.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/classifications/current-standard-classifications/soc2010/soc2010-volume-3-ns-sec--rebased-on-soc2010--user-manual/index.html
Liverpool University was once known as the working-class Oxford. Not sure what it's like up there now, but in my father's day, he told me anytime they'd get a University of Liverpool grad applying at his firm they were almost always clever, working-class, grammar school lads from some northern pit town. It was an excellent uni that prepared the cream of the crop of working-class lads for the professions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending