The Student Room Group

Considering my options (access /a levels)

So, I recently applied to a college for next year and had my interview for the Access to HE diploma(humanities). Now my problem is they may not offer the modules I am after(English), because of lack of interest in the subject. The way they run their course is you study either English or Law modules with history and sociology. I was told at the interview that they won't know whether they will offer English modules for next year. It poses a problem for me, because I wish to progress and study English Literature/history at undergraduate level.

There is another college(Liverpool) in one of the cities near my location that offers the same diploma with English; however, I may struggle with the travel costs as I would have to take a bus and then a train into the city center(I am on ESA & PIP). The same college also offers a levels, but I was told by my careers advisor that they would likely sway me in the direction of sitting an access course.

The realistic option for me(financially) would be to take the offer from St Helens and maybe apply for English with a foundation year at the institutions that offer it. Another option I did consider was maybe sitting an a level in English Literature alongside the access course. I did discuss this with my English teacher and she advised me to focus on the access and work towards hitting the 45 distinction criteria, which she believes I can do.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, my aim is to get into Oxbridge(Leaning to Cambridge due to the Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic course), but I would also like to keep my options open so I have something to fall back on. Should I go ahead and apply for the access course at Liverpool just in case the other college doesn't offer the modules I need for progression? Or should I wait it out?

I am currently resitting my math GCSE(higher tier) and will be aiming for a B/6(anything higher than that will be a bonus).
How'd it go?
Original post by zcphyr
So, I recently applied to a college for next year and had my interview for the Access to HE diploma(humanities). Now my problem is they may not offer the modules I am after(English), because of lack of interest in the subject. The way they run their course is you study either English or Law modules with history and sociology. I was told at the interview that they won't know whether they will offer English modules for next year. It poses a problem for me, because I wish to progress and study English Literature/history at undergraduate level.
There is another college(Liverpool) in one of the cities near my location that offers the same diploma with English; however, I may struggle with the travel costs as I would have to take a bus and then a train into the city center(I am on ESA & PIP). The same college also offers a levels, but I was told by my careers advisor that they would likely sway me in the direction of sitting an access course.
The realistic option for me(financially) would be to take the offer from St Helens and maybe apply for English with a foundation year at the institutions that offer it. Another option I did consider was maybe sitting an a level in English Literature alongside the access course. I did discuss this with my English teacher and she advised me to focus on the access and work towards hitting the 45 distinction criteria, which she believes I can do.
As I mentioned in my previous posts, my aim is to get into Oxbridge(Leaning to Cambridge due to the Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic course), but I would also like to keep my options open so I have something to fall back on. Should I go ahead and apply for the access course at Liverpool just in case the other college doesn't offer the modules I need for progression? Or should I wait it out?
I am currently resitting my math GCSE(higher tier) and will be aiming for a B/6(anything higher than that will be a bonus).

If you are aiming for Oxbridge, then you are taking a massive risk if you don't take A levels.
Original post by threeportdrift
If you are aiming for Oxbridge, then you are taking a massive risk if you don't take A levels.

Why do u say that im curious
Reply 4
@threeportdrift A levels would be my preference when it comes down to a level three qualification. I have considered sitting them as a private candidate, pay to sit the exams & source the course materials myself via online resources. I have also considered sitting an a level(English Literature) alongside an access course.

I am going to an open day at Liverpool college in May, so I will speak to their a level staff too, to see if they would accept a mature student in their program. The best thing I can do is ask.

@ImmortalSnail20 the interview went well. I did also apply to UCEN & Liverpool for their access program. I MAY shoot Liverpool an application for their a level courses(English literature, history & politics).
Original post by ImmortalSnail20
Why do u say that im curious

Because it isn't as rigorous a qualification and it doesn't, of itself, give as strong a foundation to the course. If it did, then it would be cited as one of the primary entry qualifications. Only A levels and IB are cited as the primary entry qualifications.

Cambridge actually says

The Access to HE Diploma is accepted for the Foundation Year, with no specific subject requirements.
If you're applying to any other course with an Access to HE Diploma, you should contact a College admissions office to discuss your options.
We may accept an Access to HE Diploma (with Distinctions in all relevant subject units) for:

most undergraduate arts courses (excluding Economics)

You can read that as "so it is possible", and the answer is yes, it is possible, but that's not the same as "it's likely' or "it's as competitive a route as A levels".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending