The Student Room Group

Can I get into Russell Group University to do computer science with A levels in maths

The sixth form I applied for only provides BTEC IT and I was thinking about self-studying for computer science but would doing IT help me get into a Russell Group university?
If you have A level maths in your 3 then you definitely can apply. Computer Science A level is not required (generally because of the very issue you have). You don't need to do the BTech but you can if you would enjoy it. I don't believe you could get into Oxbridge or some London courses with it, otherwise it would be widely accepted.

I've included Birmingham's requirements as an example but have a look round to see exactly what courses your A level choices would access: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/computer-science/computer-science-industry.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Absolutely! I am currently doing Maths, Physics and BTEC IT and am going into year 13. When I was choosing these subjects, I was also worried about how unis would treat the btec. I emailed university of Liverpool and university of Manchester to ask them and both consider applications with BTEC IT. The more important thing is that you do well in maths, as that is what unis value more. If you meet the subject requirements, as long as you do maths, you will be considered for most STEM subjects (including computer science). The good thing about BTEC IT is that the course replicates stuff you'd be doing in a job, which gives you a better insight into work and valuable skills such as research, essay writing and referencing. In summary, don't worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending