The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Honest opinions on Cardiff University?

I’ve seen some say Cardiff University along with Queen’s University Belfast and Liverpool are at the bottom of the RG and are on par with Leicester and UEA etc..
Is this true? Brutal honesty please. The ranking matters for my course unfortunately (I’m not an elitist LMAO) and I applied through clearing.
Also, I saw Nottingham got a b tier / mid tier rating as opposed to the other universities. Is it better than Cardiff and Liverpool?
Ranking universities isnt really of any use and is subjective anyway. The high ranking RG wouldnt be in clearing anyway. Most would say places like Cardiff, Liverpool, Queen Mary and a few others would class as the lower RG universities whereas the likes of Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial are the top. However none of those would be in clearing. Having said all those places like Cardiff and Liverpool are still excellent universities
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve seen some say Cardiff University along with Queen’s University Belfast and Liverpool are at the bottom of the RG and are on par with Leicester and UEA etc..
Is this true? Brutal honesty please. The ranking matters for my course unfortunately (I’m not an elitist LMAO) and I applied through clearing.
Also, I saw Nottingham got a b tier / mid tier rating as opposed to the other universities. Is it better than Cardiff and Liverpool?

It's still a great and respected university. In terms of 'where it is' in the RG group it really depends on the course. Cardiff for example is known to be quite good at Medicine (albeit not as high as Oxbridge).
Reply 3
Original post by study23!
It's still a great and respected university. In terms of 'where it is' in the RG group it really depends on the course. Cardiff for example is known to be quite good at Medicine (albeit not as high as Oxbridge).

would you say Cardiff is on the same level as Nottingham?
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Ranking universities isnt really of any use and is subjective anyway. The high ranking RG wouldnt be in clearing anyway. Most would say places like Cardiff, Liverpool, Queen Mary and a few others would class as the lower RG universities whereas the likes of Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial are the top. However none of those would be in clearing. Having said all those places like Cardiff and Liverpool are still excellent universities

Reply 5

According to the Complete University Guide (below) Cardiff is better in general, but that really depends on the course you're applying for.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/russell-group

Hi there

Cardiff uni student here!

I'm aware that I'm slightly biased in my advice so I think that it would be helpful for you to definitely do more research, however, the key to Russell Group universities is the research that takes place there. At Cardiff, the people teaching you are active in their fields and this can lead to some great opportunities and internships.

Can I ask what you aim to study? The ranking really does depend on the subject, though I would argue that it's more valuable to check out the modules of what you will be specifically learning on the course, then you can compare this to the other universities you are interested in to find the course that's more relevant and beneficial to your interests.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions specific to the university.

All the best

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Everybody will have different feelings. The bottom line is any difference will be minute and wont matter.
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

I'm aware that I'm slightly biased in my advice so I think that it would be helpful for you to definitely do more research, however, the key to Russell Group universities is the research that takes place there. At Cardiff, the people teaching you are active in their fields and this can lead to some great opportunities and internships.

Can I ask what you aim to study? The ranking really does depend on the subject, though I would argue that it's more valuable to check out the modules of what you will be specifically learning on the course, then you can compare this to the other universities you are interested in to find the course that's more relevant and beneficial to your interests.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions specific to the university.

All the best

this is sound advice
you need to say what your subject is and which modules you hope to take in it
listen to Jaz!
Reply 9
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

All the best

Hi thanks for your response :smile:
Modern languages
Reply 10
Original post by MedMama
this is sound advice
you need to say what your subject is and which modules you hope to take in it
listen to Jaz!

Do modules make much of a difference?
I’m the first in my family to go to uni so I wasn’t aware that this is something to consider
Do modules make much of a difference?
I’m the first in my family to go to uni so I wasn’t aware that this is something to consider

In my opinion as someone who is also the first in their family and has little previous insight into uni before coming, what modules you study are arguably more important that the name or anything else of your course. These are what you spend your day-to-day life studying and are what inspired your career choices (based on what you're learning). This can have more impact than rank if you're actually enjoying what you are studying and see a path through that.

I hope that makes sense. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending