The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techno836
Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: :wink: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you :h: (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added :h: )

Subjects

Scottish Highers

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths :smile:
http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry :smile:

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM :smile: I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread :h:

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :h: :cool:

OCR A: Biology (self taught), Chemistry, Physics
AQA: Mathematics, Spanish, French

But I'm dropping one of the languages :smile:

Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Oh wow, that must be tiring! Are you self-teaching Biology then? If so I am in awe, you must be very determinated! Ah, I was supposed to be doing Critical Thinking, but our head of year decided that only people who were free in a certain option block could do it, so my friends and I are pretty annoyed :/ Our lunch is only forty minutes, it used to be 45 but got shortened :frown: I may have to, they really need to get books that we can actually use to study from. I looked at my local library too and there weren't any there either, so I may have to order some from Amazon.

It is, but I completely clear out my Sundays of any studying which is fine for me ^_^
Yep I am doing self-taught bio, but I go to the bio teachers whenever I need help with something although this website I use is great! http://asbiology101.wordpress.com/
Wow, that's completely unfair :/ - it really only needs about an hour of teaching a week if it's similar to general studies
Nooo, don't buy them - use the internet! If you're going to buy anything, buy a couple of revision guides for each subject but otherwise keep nagging the librarian until you get better books XD
Hey guys, haven't posted much lately so I'm just dropping by this thread after my first week of sixth form.
So far I love it! I'm doing OCR History, Psychology & Biology and WJEC Sociology. I'll be truthful and say I was not expecting to get so much homework and stuff already (I've had 9 pieces of homework and only been in for 4 days!) but I don't mind because I love all the subjects. I've also done some extra studying as well which I feel like is what is going to stop me from falling behind and getting too stressed.
I hope everyone is enjoying year 12 so far - despite being extra tired along with all the other big changes, we'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might begin writing my Prefect-application ooh, how wonderful.
Original post by Lucas.
German, Psychology and Sociology. :smile: You?

Cool; psychology must be interesting! :smile: I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit.
Oh wow, that must be tiring! Are you self-teaching Biology then? If so I am in awe, you must be very determinated! Ah, I was supposed to be doing Critical Thinking, but our head of year decided that only people who were free in a certain option block could do it, so my friends and I are pretty annoyed :/ Our lunch is only forty minutes, it used to be 45 but got shortened :frown: I may have to, they really need to get books that we can actually use to study from. I looked at my local library too and there weren't any there either, so I may have to order some from Amazon.
I'm doing Tsarist Russia too, and Stalinist in year 13

Don't be most people on TSR would probably agree that General Studies/Critical Thinking are a waste of time-they aren't respected at all by virtually all universities these subjects make Business look a facilitating subject and they are really just league table points boosters for Colleges.
Reply 4645
Original post by JustaDreamer
Cool; psychology must be interesting! :smile: I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit.

Yeah I think it's really interestting. :smile: Oh God, good luck with English Lit hahaha. :tongue:
Reply 4646
Hey guys, I'm desperately looking for 2 tickets for the 1975 at Leeds stylus uni on the 23rd september. Can you all please spread the word and anybody message me if you are selling them or know somebody who is. I'm prepared to pay money!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucas.
Yeah I think it's really interestting. :smile: Oh God, good luck with English Lit hahaha. :tongue:

Jolly good :biggrin: Haha thanks; for some reason I think i'm gonna need it...
Reply 4648
Original post by JustaDreamer
Jolly good :biggrin: Haha thanks; for some reason I think i'm gonna need it...

I'm sure you will too... Or maybe that's just me being biased because I detested English Lit at GCSE. :biggrin:
Original post by Dougieowner
I've not really done loads of extra work yet, but I've done a bit. My subjects are different but I may as well explain some stuff for others too. Today for French I've been writing some grammar notes into neat to put into my huge arch lever file. I will need to refer to these throughout the course so I thought it'd be good to get ahead of it (also it's revision writing them up before we go over them again in class.) And then I wrote some vocab lists too. I might also read ahead in the textbooks/look over what's there so I'm ready before each lesson.

I'm going to do the same for Spanish, and then for English Literature I think I'm going to do some research on the plays we're looking at to get a wider idea of context, and maybe look at some essays online to get a better idea of what mine will need to be like for the coursework. For English Language I don't really know yet, we haven't done much but I think I might go get a revision guide and learn all the technical terminology because the examiners like to see that in the coursework.

I think I might organise into a timetable when I'm going to do independent study for each subject because I want to make sure I do it in every subject instead of just focusing on one or two.

I have a tip for English language - we have to keep a scrapbook of articles and real-life texts that we annotate in preparation for the exam :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone seems to be loving Sixth Form, I already hate it.
I've barely had any lessons and I feel like I'm behind!
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Italian (no lessons on latter, just taking the exams).
I'm not very good with all the frees I got, I can't concentrate but I'll learn, somehow.
I am so glad I'm not doing Business Studies anymore, I completely hated it for the few hours I had it, but I don't understand why some people look down on it? It seems like a hard course so I don't get what all the fuss is about.
Reply 4651
Original post by Katie97
:eek: There's like 30 kids in my year.

Seems we're on the extremes :biggrin: I love having 999 other people in my year though, it's perfect!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Nor
Totalitarian Ideology for unit 1 and Sixties Social Revolution for unit 2 What about you?

Tsarist Russia 1885-1917 and Britain 1902-1918: The Impact of New Liberalism. I wanted to do the unit on Henry 8th and the dissolution of the monasteries though, we did out controlled assessment on it for GCSE and I found in fascinating! The Sixties Revolution sounds really interesting too, as someone who wishes to have lived during that decade :tongue:
Original post by Lucas.
I think I'm going to develop an addiction to collecting records...

A whole week? Why did you need a whole week? Surely a day is enough. Hm, maybe guys are them same, but I don't know, I can sort of start creating 'banter' with a guy straight away, whereas I don't really want to come across as a dick to a girl...

Yeah I FINALLY start tomorrow. You?

Nothing wrong with that! I have a record player and a cassette player in my room alongside my CD player, I’m very retro. I volunteer at a charity shop and it’s great because I have first pick of the records, and they’re all absolute bargains :biggrin:

We didn’t need a whole week, it wasn’t fair. A whole week including ‘alternative sports day’ and player games in our forms, it was a bit of a waste to be honest, I would have rather spent the whole week in lessons (we had three days of lessons). Don’t put the words ‘dick’ and ‘come’ in the same sentence, please. I’m immature. Yeah I guess, I personally just want to come across as well as possible to everyone :biggrin: WOO YAY FOR YOU! Excited?

Original post by Ninjasrule

It is, but I completely clear out my Sundays of any studying which is fine for me ^_^
Yep I am doing self-taught bio, but I go to the bio teachers whenever I need help with something although this website I use is great! http://asbiology101.wordpress.com/
Wow, that's completely unfair :/ - it really only needs about an hour of teaching a week if it's similar to general studies
Nooo, don't buy them - use the internet! If you're going to buy anything, buy a couple of revision guides for each subject but otherwise keep nagging the librarian until you get better books XD

Aww, well that’s good. I was considering moving to a Sixth Form which doesn’t offer German and self-studying it, but there are absolutely no evening classes in the area available and there are no German teachers at the school either. Sad times.
I think it is, yes; I have a friend doing it and she says it’s an hour a week with the head teacher. You’d think they’d timetable it all a bit better :/ I will nag her then, just for you :tongue:

Original post by Dinasaurus
Might begin writing my Prefect-application ooh, how wonderful.

You have prefects?! Oooh, that’s snazzy! Best of luck with your letter :smile:

Original post by Dalek1099
Don't be most people on TSR would probably agree that General Studies/Critical Thinking are a waste of time-they aren't respected at all by virtually all universities these subjects make Business look a facilitating subject and they are really just league table points boosters for Colleges.

There does generally seem to be that attitude, but my head of year claims it’s quite valued by RG universities as an extra A-level; I can imagine that realistically it wouldn’t make much of an effect on an application, but it would be quite interesting and probably useful for an application to a humanities degree as further evidence of essay-writing/arguing skills
For History I'm doing Tsarist Russia, Stalin's Russian and the British Empire in India. Not bad.
Reply 4655
Nothing wrong with that! I have a record player and a cassette player in my room alongside my CD player, I’m very retro. I volunteer at a charity shop and it’s great because I have first pick of the records, and they’re all absolute bargains :biggrin:

We didn’t need a whole week, it wasn’t fair. A whole week including ‘alternative sports day’ and player games in our forms, it was a bit of a waste to be honest, I would have rather spent the whole week in lessons (we had three days of lessons). Don’t put the words ‘dick’ and ‘come’ in the same sentence, please. I’m immature. Yeah I guess, I personally just want to come across as well as possible to everyone :biggrin: WOO YAY FOR YOU! Excited?

I still need to get a record player... :frown: Ah man that must be cool. :frown: There's not a lot of older stuff that I'd like to get on vinyl though. :tongue:

To be fair that sounds alright, I wouldn't mind doing that. :tongue: Hahahah, sorry. :wink: Well, so do I, but hopefully you know what I mean. :tongue: Oh yeah I'm buzzing! :biggrin:
Reply 4656
Original post by Cluck
Seems we're on the extremes :biggrin: I love having 999 other people in my year though, it's perfect!

That would be awesome. You could wear clothes over again and nobody would notice because there's so many of you! :hmmm:

Although, I think it's kinda cute having like 6 people in some of my classes :h:
Reply 4657
Original post by Katie97
That would be awesome. You could wear clothes over again and nobody would notice because there's so many of you! :hmmm:

I hadn't even thought of that! :tongue:
Original post by Red Fox
For History I'm doing Tsarist Russia, Stalin's Russian and the British Empire in India. Not bad.

Tsarist Russia too *nods*
Original post by Lucas.
I still need to get a record player... :frown: Ah man that must be cool. :frown: There's not a lot of older stuff that I'd like to get on vinyl though. :tongue:

To be fair that sounds alright, I wouldn't mind doing that. :tongue: Hahahah, sorry. :wink: Well, so do I, but hopefully you know what I mean. :tongue: Oh yeah I'm buzzing! :biggrin:

Get one man, they're awesome! Mine is very big and chunky and amazing. I have a few Beatles vinyls, an Elvis one, Buddy Holly, some other old artists you won't have heard of :3 It's great. Haha, well I'm just an awkward person me :tongue: Yes, I know what you mean. What are you looking most forward to (other than having frees :wink:)?

Latest