The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6840
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oxford no one got offers below 60% GCSEs :eek: that's crazy, and stupid because they don't account the raw numbers, although they're starting to.

Really? I've discarded Oxford as a choice for my ucas application because they want about 90% A* at GCSE (for medicine); so I have been told. It's really unfair for people who do a lot of GCSEs. I mean mine is like 67% A* at GCSE, and I did 15 GCSEs. It's sad because the ones I didn't get A*s in were additional subjects that my school forced me to take :frown:. That into account I could have had 91% A* at GCSE. :rolleyes::angry:
Original post by a123a
Really? I've discarded Oxford as a choice for my ucas application because they want about 90% A* at GCSE (for medicine); so I have been told. It's really unfair for people who do a lot of GCSEs. I mean mine is like 67% A* at GCSE, and I did 15 GCSEs. It's sad because the ones I didn't get A*s in were additional subjects that my school forced me to take :frown:. That into account I could have had 91% A* at GCSE. :rolleyes::angry:

Aaah. Yeah, I have 50% basically with 16 GCSEs :tongue: and the ones I self taught were the A*s
Reply 6842
Aaah. Yeah, I have 50% basically with 16 GCSEs :tongue: and the ones I self taught were the A*s

Unlucky for us I guess.:redface: I could have done 17 but I chose to start A level Maths in yr 11. Wow how could you do all 16 with the whole of A level Maths and AS History? You must be a very good organiser! How's OCR Chemistry and Physics?
Original post by a123a
Unlucky for us I guess.:redface: I could have done 17 but I chose to start A level Maths in yr 11. Wow how could you do all 16 with the whole of A level Maths and AS History? You must be a very good organiser! How's OCR Chemistry and Physics?

Not really just crammed before the exams. Easy so far :tongue: although failed a test today I think... We shall see on Monday.
Reply 6844
Not really just crammed before the exams. Easy so far :tongue: although failed a test today I think... We shall see on Monday.

That's good. I don't revise for class tests, because I can't revise a unit unless I've learnt all of it. :colondollar:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Out of interest, which unis expect 50% A*s?

I applied for Medicine this year, and can assure you that that's not true. As long as you meet the unis minimum academic requirements, them there's no reason why you won't be considered

I didn't mean you wouldn't be considered at all, sorry if my post was misleading in that sense, I just meant most med schools expect 50% A*s at GCSE or thereabouts, because that's what the majority of medicine applicants have, so having lower GCSE grades would put you at a bit of a disadvantage.
I'm doing them now! Just wish I had them done before.

Oh, wow :O
Original post by a123a
That's good. I don't revise for class tests, because I can't revise a unit unless I've learnt all of it. :colondollar:

I don't either :tongue:
Original post by Georgiecat
Oh, wow :O

Hopefully I'll be fluent in them before uni

Pfft, viel Glück :mmm:

pfft, good luck :mmm:
Original post by MangoFreak
Pfft, viel Glück :mmm:

pfft, good luck :mmm:

When I say fluent, I mean B2 level :tongue:
When I say fluent, I mean B2 level :tongue:

I reiterate: "pfft, viel Glück :mmm:"

Spoiler

I reiterate: "pfft, viel Glück :mmm:"

Spoiler

I think I'm leaving German, I just can't.

Gonna become fluent in Welsh instead :colone:

Good luck! :tongue:
Does anyone else absolutely love 6th year (Year 12)? I think it's fantastic!
Oxford no one got offers below 60% GCSEs :eek: that's crazy, and stupid because they don't account the raw numbers, although they're starting to.

Mentioned earlier that Oxford is the exception.

I didn't mean you wouldn't be considered at all, sorry if my post was misleading in that sense, I just meant most med schools expect 50% A*s at GCSE or thereabouts, because that's what the majority of medicine applicants have, so having lower GCSE grades would put you at a bit of a disadvantage.

But that's just it, I think you'll understand more about where I'm coming from when you apply next year. If you meet their minimum requirements, then 10 A*s has no advantage over 4.. then again this is dependant upon the med school
I think the 7A*s figure comes from the commonly-quoted statistic that average successful Oxford medicine applicant has 6-7 A*s at GCSE. Though your GCSE grades are really good by normal standards, they'd be a bit low for medicine, as most unis look for 50% A*s and above at GCSE, with A*s in maths and the sciences. This does mean you might struggle to get into a medicine course, especially at Oxbridge or other high-ranking unis. However, don't panic - all hope is not lost! Almost any university would be willing to consider you if you showed a significant improvement from GCSE to A-level, so if you get AAAA (with high UMSs) at the end of this year, you wouldn't be in a bad place to apply to medicine at all, especially if you got some work experience under your belt (which it sounds like you're trying to do at the moment). Be aware, however, that although the standard medicine offer is AAA, universities might give you a slightly higher offer next year because of your GCSE grades.
Also, I highly recommend looking at uni websites - they're really useful for finding out answers to the questions you're asking.

Thankyou!!!! Was really helpful!!:biggrin:

I applied for Medicine this year, and can assure you that that's not true. As long as you meet the unis minimum academic requirements, them there's no reason why you won't be considered
good luck!. Which unis did you apply to? btw 4AS at alevel is wow, can you give me some advice so i can maybe do that well haha

Good lick with yoyr application! Which unis did you apply to? And btw how did you get 4AS in alevel, can you give me some advice
Original post by aasvogel
Does anyone else absolutely love 6th year (Year 12)? I think it's fantastic!

I love it :awesome:
I love it :awesome:

Same! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest