The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrew's and GCSE's?

Okay, so first of all I am so sorry if I've posted in the wrong place! I still get things mixed up when using this website!

But basically I want to be a translator, and I have been attracted to St. Andrews for so long now that I am dying to apply there in two years time!

So I got my GCSE results today, and this is what I got:

Geography: A
Spanish: A
French: A
English Language: A
Religious Education: A
Art: A
English Literature: B
Science: B
Additional Science: C
Maths: C

So my question is:
Are these grades good enough for St Andrew's? I have read somewhere that that a minimum grade of a B in English and Maths is required to get into St. Andrew's, and I was so devastated when I discovered that I only got a C in Maths, considering I tried so hard.
So is this true? and do you think that this will affect my chances of getting in?

Thank you so much in advance guys, and I hope that everyone who got their results today are happy with them! :smile:
Unfortunately that appears to be the case (here's the link to the faculty requirements page )

Without a B in maths you won't get in (unless the grade was due to extenuating circumstances). I would suggest resitting maths if St Andrews is what you really want or looking at other unis that will have lower requirements.
(edited 10 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by monkyvirus
Unfortunately that appears to be the case (here's the link to the faculty requirements page )

Without a B in maths you won't get in (unless the grade was due to extenuating circumstances). I would suggest resitting maths if St Andrews is what you really want or looking at other unis that will have lower requirements.

I don't think that's definite - it does, after all, state that the dean of faculty has the authority to exempt applicants from one or more of the faculty requirements, presumably if the rest of their application is up to scratch. :smile: I emailed St Andrew's about a similar issue (I got AAAAB in Highers, am thinking of applying for modern languages, yet only got a 3 (ie a C) in standard grade maths) and received this response:
"We would recommend that narrowly missing the faculty requirements does not stop students applying to St Andrews, as the Dean of Faculty has the authority to exempt applicants from certain faculty requirements, if their application is otherwise competitive."
So, don't be put off if the other parts of your application are up to scratch. :smile:
Edit: I realise your post was made 3 weeks ago, but just wanted to add something. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Highflyinbird
Okay, so first of all I am so sorry if I've posted in the wrong place! I still get things mixed up when using this website!

But basically I want to be a translator, and I have been attracted to St. Andrews for so long now that I am dying to apply there in two years time!

So I got my GCSE results today, and this is what I got:

Geography: A
Spanish: A
French: A
English Language: A
Religious Education: A
Art: A
English Literature: B
Science: B
Additional Science: C
Maths: C

So my question is:
Are these grades good enough for St Andrew's? I have read somewhere that that a minimum grade of a B in English and Maths is required to get into St. Andrew's, and I was so devastated when I discovered that I only got a C in Maths, considering I tried so hard.
So is this true? and do you think that this will affect my chances of getting in?

Thank you so much in advance guys, and I hope that everyone who got their results today are happy with them! :smile:

Don't listen to those who say you won't get in. I had a C in maths and still got an offer from St Andrews (although I did take AS maths to prove that the C was an accident).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending