The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

A levels needed for St Andrews economics

On the St Andrews website, both MA/BSC economics don’t require maths, with the subject requirements just being AAA at a level. Is this really true? I’m doing Spanish economics and politics at A level and am predicted A*AA, will not doing maths affect my chances of getting in? Thanks
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mahis06
On the St Andrews website, both MA/BSC economics don’t require maths, with the subject requirements just being AAA at a level. Is this really true? I’m doing Spanish economics and politics at A level and am predicted A*AA, will not doing maths affect my chances of getting in? Thanks

This is the University of Edinburgh section.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I'd say that actual offers are nearly always above the grades, as they are skewed by tactical low offers to outstanding candidates who might well also be applying to Oxbridge. The lower offer encourages them to put St Andrews as their security choice, but in effect unless contextual or applying for an undersubscribed subject is likely to be A*AA or higher. My older daughter just graduated from there, and she had A*A*A at A- level, which was fairly standard in MMaths at least. My younger was rejected for Philosophy at St Andrews with A*A*A last year (9's in REAL GCSE's in those subjects as a gap year applicant, so not inflated lol) and is at Edinburgh. You are predicted A*AA, so might as well try if you like it. What subject is predicted the A* , as it should ideally be Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending