The Student Room Group

JACS codes - ChemE

When I was choosing my course I approached a problem. Even though they were named the same they had different characters before them. I found out these are JACS codes. My question is - in some cases chemical engineering is H800 and in others H801 or different. I managed to find that the second one is connected to energy, but because they are called the same on universities pages, does it really matter that much? Also, if I wanted to be product engineer, does it matter which one I choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Any advice, anyone?
Well different codes denote to different chemical engineering degrees. H800 is for the BEng, H801 is for MEng. Other codes like H813, H810 denotes to Chemical Engineering with another subject such as energy, business etc... So the codes do matter in that sense. If the job description asks for a MEng, then you choose the code for it. But usually, you're able to switch mid-degree so don't work yourself up too much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for reply Adele. I was so confused, because I read that H801 stands for chemical & energy engineering and I'd prefer to choose a more suitable course for me. Even though this, I believe it is more about choosing the electives now rather than then core programme.
Original post by Prested
Thanks for reply Adele. I was so confused, because I read that H801 stands for chemical & energy engineering and I'd prefer to choose a more suitable course for me. Even though this, I believe it is more about choosing the electives now rather than then core programme.

Adele? :confused:

Anyway, you are correct. The modules you choose (especially during your final year) is what tailors your degree to the career or profession of choice.
Reply 5
Hah, sorry, was listening to Adele, so I must've read you nickname wrong! :biggrin:
(You might not realize how embarrassed I feel now!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Prested
Hah, sorry, was listening to Adele, so I must've read you nickname wrong! :biggrin:
(You might not realize how embarrassed I feel now!)

Haha. No worries

Quick Reply

Latest