The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mutantgerbil, i applied to similar unis to u 4 law, and got rejected by most, only have one offer so fa from birmingham + i applied to oxford.

what wer ur GCSE grades?
PhilipsCDRW
What are you going to study Hornblower?

Chemistry.
Reply 22
FACT - Uni's are not told which other uni's that you have applied to.

They may be able to make an educated guess that you are an Oxbridge applicant if they recieve your application before the deadline and you have strings of A's, but even then they would not simply reject you on the basis that you will go elsewhere.

Universities with applicants who have not applied to Oxbridge face the same kind of dilemma. For example someone predicted AAA and not applying to Oxbridge (like me) would apply to places like Notts, Manchester, York, Warwick and probably one uni such as Newcastle as an insurance. Does this mean that Newcastle will reject you because you are likely to chose another uni?!?...I don't think so. They will want the best possible crop of student coming there next year.

I think it is time that people just accepted that some courses are incredibly competative at top uni's and that there are only a limited number of places. They should stop looking for alterior motives on the part of uni's. Admissions tutors have a job to do and they select the most appropriate group students, if you don't fall into this group then don't take it personally and just accept it because you may be exactly the student that another great uni is looking for!!! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Leekey
FACT - Uni's are not told which other uni's that you have applied to.

They may be able to make an educated guess that you are an Oxbridge applicant if they recieve your application before the deadline and you have strings of A's, but even then they would not simply reject you on the basis that you will go elsewhere.

Universities with applicants who have not applied to Oxbridge face the same kind of dilemma. For example someone predicted AAA and not applying to Oxbridge (like me) would apply to places like Notts, Manchester, York, Warwick and probably one uni such as Newcastle as an insurance. Does this mean that Newcastle will reject you because you are likely to chose another uni?!?...I don't think so. They will want the best possible crop of student coming there next year.

I think it is time that people just accepted that some courses are incredibly competative at top uni's and that there are only a limited number of places. They should stop looking for alterior motives on the part of uni's. Admissions tutors have a job to do and they select the most appropriate group students, if you don't fall into this group then don't take it personally and just accept it because you may be exactly the student that another great uni is looking for!!! :biggrin:

well said mate :biggrin:
Reply 24
I agree. I applied to Cambridge (was one of the first to apply - early september) and I got offers from all 6 choices (Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bath, Warwick, Nottingham).
pugnacious
mutantgerbil, i applied to similar unis to u 4 law, and got rejected by most, only have one offer so fa from birmingham + i applied to oxford.

what wer ur GCSE grades?

9 A*s and 3 As. I don't know how they decide who to give offers to but in their defense, with so many good candidates, it must be bloody hard to choose. I know Manchester got about 3,300 applications for law this year. They gave about 600 offers for 121 places. So that means you've got about a 1 in 5/6 chance of getting an offer.
Reply 26
PhilipsCDRW
What are you going to study Hornblower?

Some universities might just pull names out of a hat, or select candidates whose names are easy to spell.

i'm screwed then, no-one can spell my name!

Latest

Trending

Trending