The Student Room Group

English or Econ at a level?

I currently plan to be doing Bio and Chem and Politics, however our school requires us to be doing 4 A levels. I did intentend on doing Maths, but I don’t fit the Grade Requirement so I either have to do Econ or English. What subject should I do to better my chances at getting in at Oxbridge and am I disadvantaged by not doing maths? Thanks for all the help in advance
Reply 1
Depends, what course do you want to study? I'm assuming biochem, in which case it doesn't really matter, something like physics might be good if you can't do maths but as neither econ nor English are sciences, neither is more advantageous than the other. You may disadvantaged if you apply to Oxford as maths is a recommendation, so something more math-y like physics would be ideal instead.
Original post by zi892
I currently plan to be doing Bio and Chem and Politics, however our school requires us to be doing 4 A levels. I did intentend on doing Maths, but I don’t fit the Grade Requirement so I either have to do Econ or English. What subject should I do to better my chances at getting in at Oxbridge and am I disadvantaged by not doing maths? Thanks for all the help in advance

depends what you’re applying for - cambridge requires a 3rd stem a level for medicine but other than that it shouldn’t be an issue

it won’t really make a difference whether you do econ or english lit as they’re both respected subjects tbh - i do english lit and its defo not an easy a level it’s really intense and difficult to revise for, as well as coursework so if ur gonna do lit you need to love it
Reply 3
Original post by oceanb1ue
Depends, what course do you want to study? I'm assuming biochem, in which case it doesn't really matter, something like physics might be good if you can't do maths but as neither econ nor English are sciences, neither is more advantageous than the other. You may disadvantaged if you apply to Oxford as maths is a recommendation, so something more math-y like physics would be ideal instead.

Yh I am looking to Medicane as a degree; I have performed really well in GCSEs for Bio and Chen (9s), However when it comes to maths based subject i completely fall flat on my face partly due to my strong hatred for them 😭 So even physics has been ruled out and a lot of people have been telling me my chances to oxbridge and even imperial are slim to none. Would I be disadvantaged for US Unis as well?
Reply 4
Yh ur right I mean English Lit does have a load of workload but I am good at English and have a passion for it. Just was thinking that English is more respected of a subject as it’s a “facilitating subject” and thought that if I did it, it may seem more impressive
Original post by vanyaaaaaaaa
depends what you’re applying for - cambridge requires a 3rd stem a level for medicine but other than that it shouldn’t be an issue

it won’t really make a difference whether you do econ or english lit as they’re both respected subjects tbh - i do english lit and its defo not an easy a level it’s really intense and difficult to revise for, as well as coursework so if ur gonna do lit you need to love it

Quick Reply

Latest