The Student Room Group

Need help with what to cash in please!!!

I finished my maths A Level in one year and now I have to fill out my UCAS application. Do I put the whole A Level result on it? Or just the AS Level? Which combination of my modules would be best to make up the AS Level?
C1 - 100
C2 - 98
C3 - 100
C4 - 90
M1 - 93
S1 - 97
I'm going to apply for NatSci at Cambridge and probably straight physics courses at other universities if this will influence the answer to my question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mjmmwoohoo
I finished my maths A Level in one year and now I have to fill out my UCAS application. Do I put the whole A Level result on it? Or just the AS Level? Which combination of my modules would be best to make up the AS Level?
C1 - 100
C2 - 98
C3 - 100
C4 - 100
M1 - 93
S1 - 97
I'm going to apply for NatSci and Cambridge and probably straight physics courses at other universities if this will influence the answer to my question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't get any say in aggregration. Your AS is C1, C2, S1 and your A2 is the whole lot.
C1 - 100
C2 - 98
C3 - 100
C4 - 100
M1 - 93
S1 - 97
I'm going to apply for NatSci and Cambridge and probably straight physics courses at other universities if this will influence the answer to my question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't agree with the previous poster, S1 or M1 can be in the AS but it really doesn't matter because either way you get an A at AS and A* at A2 ( because A2 is only based on C3 & C4 grade)
Reply 3
You have an A level - all of those modules are included

Given that you have an A level - you do not have an AS
Original post by dotty_but_good
I don't agree with the previous poster, S1 or M1 can be in the AS but it really doesn't matter because either way you get an A at AS and A* at A2 ( because A2 is only based on C3 & C4 grade)

It doesn't really matter whether you agree with me or not. His AS combination is C1 C2 S1 because of the maximisation of uniform mark total rule. There is no debate about it.
Original post by TenOfThem
You have an A level - all of those modules are included

Given that you have an A level - you do not have an AS

I expect his school/college certificated AS and A2 (not that it matters).
C1 - 100
C2 - 98
C3 - 100
C4 - 100
M1 - 93
S1 - 97

I'm surprised that someone with such great scores is asking which modules would best make up his/her AS Level when he/she has completed the full A2 (and nothing more i.e. no additional modules that could further maximise his/her marks), thereby nullifying the question in question. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
I expect his school/college certificated AS and A2 (not that it matters).

Indeed

I just find it worrying that many students seem to think they have both qualifications - I spend too much time on the Applications Forum where they list both when telling us how many UCAS points they have - so I wanted to be sure the OP realised this
Original post by TenOfThem
Indeed

I just find it worrying that many students seem to think they have both qualifications - I spend too much time on the Applications Forum where they list both when telling us how many UCAS points they have - so I wanted to be sure the OP realised this

I didn't realise students double count qualifications!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
I didn't realise students double count qualifications!

They try to - lol
Reply 10
Guys I know that I only have an A Level. What I'm trying to say is that I have a choice of whether to cash in the AS or A Level for my UCAS application. I can either submit my AS and be predicted an A* or put my whole A Level down and then perhaps universities would ask me for another A* in any offers I receive. I hope this clarifies my problem.
Guys I know that I only have an A Level. What I'm trying to say is that I have a choice of whether to cash in the AS or A Level for my UCAS application. I can either submit my AS and be predicted an A* or put my whole A Level down and then perhaps universities would ask me for another A* in any offers I receive. I hope this clarifies my problem.

I would go with the AS cash in and A* prediction seeing as it could potentially make your offers easier to meet. Most Universities won't split hairs over obtained and predicted grades - especially if you are predicted As and A*s in your other subjects. And Cambridge will see that you have already effectively"got" an A* due to the SAQ form, so your decision will not affect your Cambridge application whatsoever.

But the universities will see that you have done all 6 modules when you list them
Reply 13
Best not to try and be deceptive IMO. I would cash in the AS and the A2.

Quick Reply

Latest