The Student Room Group

Student finance help

I’ve recieved an email asking to confirm living arrangements, I’ve called and spoken to sfe asking what they need from me and they said bank statements and tenancy agreement to prove I’m not living with parents,
I don’t have a tendency agreement since I am living with my boyfriend and his parents so we’re renting out one bedroom and what we do is he pays for the bedroom - £250 a month and I pay for little bits like food and toiletries on occasion for the whole household to share and Netflix stuff like that basically and I also send him money ( it equals out to around £250 also a month from me so £500 in total)
But there is no actual proof that I pay rent because we don’t have a tenancy agreement and my bank statements you can just see like the shops and the odd sending of money (sometimes I give his mom cash but again all of this can’t be proven)
Does this mean I’m going to have to pay back my student finance? I’m so scared please help I physically can’t afford to lose my student finance I’m barely getting by as it is let alone if I don’t have it
I’ve been living here since I changed unis in the summer holidays because it was too expensive where I was studying and I had to work aswell just to scrape by, but I can’t afford to work this year because I will literally fail my course hence why I moved unis
Original post by Julia-0
I’ve recieved an email asking to confirm living arrangements, I’ve called and spoken to sfe asking what they need from me and they said bank statements and tenancy agreement to prove I’m not living with parents,
I don’t have a tendency agreement since I am living with my boyfriend and his parents so we’re renting out one bedroom and what we do is he pays for the bedroom - £250 a month and I pay for little bits like food and toiletries on occasion for the whole household to share and Netflix stuff like that basically and I also send him money ( it equals out to around £250 also a month from me so £500 in total)
But there is no actual proof that I pay rent because we don’t have a tenancy agreement and my bank statements you can just see like the shops and the odd sending of money (sometimes I give his mom cash but again all of this can’t be proven)
Does this mean I’m going to have to pay back my student finance? I’m so scared please help I physically can’t afford to lose my student finance I’m barely getting by as it is let alone if I don’t have it
I’ve been living here since I changed unis in the summer holidays because it was too expensive where I was studying and I had to work aswell just to scrape by, but I can’t afford to work this year because I will literally fail my course hence why I moved unis

If you can't provide any evidence of living away from home, then it is likely that your funding will be reduced to the 'living with parents' amount. Your are still entitled to some funding. For example, if you are entitled to the maximum amount and are outside London, your entitlement would reduce from £9,978 to £8,400 for 2023/24.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students
Reply 2
Original post by Julia-0

It might be enough to get your boyfriend's parents to write a letter confirming that you're living in their house with your boyfriend (their son). That would certainly explain the lack of a formal tenancy agreement.

From a "paper trail" point of view, it would probably help in future for any "housekeeping" payments you're making to his mum to be paid via bank transfer rather than in cash.

SFE are being quite cautious here, because obviously there's a risk of people defrauding SFE by claiming they're living away from their parents when they're not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending