The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 'exercise' and M.Phil to PhD

Hello there. Ridiculous question no.1 - what's an 'exercise' at Cambridge exactly? Is it some kind of exam, rather than just an essay?

And when/how would somebody make it clear that they'd like to upgrade from an M.Phil to a PhD? Specifically an M.Phil Theology and Relig studies.

Thanks.
Reply 1
This sounds like what can also be called the upgrade or transfer process at other universities, where people who are doing a PhD are initially registered either as master's students or probationary students.

From the Faculty of Divinity's website:

First-year assessments for PhD students

Students need to submit two copies of the following:

a summary of their dissertation
outline
bibliography
description of methodology
a chapter of up to 10,000 words
Assessments take place in the Easter Term and students will be informed by letter of the date by which they need to submit their work.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
OP, can you clarify something - at many unis an MPhil is the probationary first year of a PhD but at Cambridge it is a taught masters. Are you aiming to register for a PhD, or are you aiming to register for a masters with the intention of subsequently doing a PhD?
Reply 3
I don't have an MA which is required to begin a PhD at Cambridge, so I'm doing the MPhil, with the intention of doing a PhD.
Original post by loggats
I don't have an MA which is required to begin a PhD at Cambridge, so I'm doing the MPhil, with the intention of doing a PhD.

I know nothing specific about this course, but it's my impression that, as sj27 suggested, you have to apply for the PhD separately after the Cambridge MPhil - as in, I don't think there is a process to 'upgrade' from an MPhil to a PhD, you just have to apply in open competition (as it is not like an MPhil from other universities, but more the equivalent of an MA or MSc elsewhere). Anyway, I'd check with the department, maybe they have some special dispensation for their own students (???).

When you begin a PhD you'll be registered as a Probationary Research Student (or something similar) before you upgrade, maybe this is what 'exercise' refers to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
As others have said, at Cambridge the MPhil and the PhD are two separate degrees, rather than the MPhil being considered the first year of the PhD. If you begin an MPhil in Cam, you will have to apply for 'Leave to Continue' to the PhD, which is usually at the end of the first term of the MPhil. Leave to Continue is basically the same as if you were applying from outside the university- you have to submit references, a research proposal, etc and you are considered alongside everyone else who applies for the PhD, whether external or internal, and it's the same for funding as well. If you begin your PhD at Cam then, in your first year you are registered as a Probationary PhD, rather than as an MPhil.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'exercise', but in the PhD most faculties and departments ask for a first year report and possibly also a chunk of research written up, to use as an exam to determine whether to register you for the PhD, thus ending your probationary period. In the context of the MPhil, I imagine it refers to essays or other assigned work (I believe the religions MPhil requires some language work, for example?).

I hope that cleared some things up for you. I've been through the Leave to Continue process so if you've any other questions, please ask!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending