The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil Social Anthropology Applicants 2024

Hi all, I wanted to make this post to see if there are any other applicants to the Social Anth MPhil or the Social Anthropological Research MPhil! Curious if anyone else has submitted yet, if anyone has heard decisions about their admission or funding, etc? Perhaps it's a bit early but I'm really impatient lol and would love to talk to anyone else that's applying! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juliannetet
Hi all, I wanted to make this post to see if there are any other applicants to the Social Anth MPhil or the Social Anthropological Research MPhil! Curious if anyone else has submitted yet, if anyone has heard decisions about their admission or funding, etc? Perhaps it's a bit early but I'm really impatient lol and would love to talk to anyone else that's applying! :smile:

Hello! We talked a little on the general Cambridge postgrad thread but I applied to the program as well! It is a bit nerve-racking to see applicants to other programs start to receive interviews etc. on their applications. Currently I have received an offer from SOAS and I have some insider information regarding a positive offer at the National University of Singapore; but still the SocAn program at Cambridge is still the top choice. Have you received any news yourself? I'm still on the department review stage.

But here's to a very anxious Christmas!!
(edited 4 months ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by theharrisbenji
Hello! We talked a little on the general Cambridge postgrad thread but I applied to the program as well! It is a bit nerve-racking to see applicants to other programs start to receive interviews etc. on their applications. Currently I have received an offer from SOAS and I have some insider information regarding a positive offer at the National University of Singapore; but still the SocAn program at Cambridge is still the top choice. Have you received any news yourself? I'm still on the department review stage.

But here's to a very anxious Christmas!!

Hi, yes I remember us talking! I've seen a few offers for other MPhils in various departments, which is why I was getting nervous - I had to remind myself that our firm deadline is technically much later than most others, so we may not hear back for a while. Congratulations on your other offers! I've only applied here and Oxford, so no news from either yet. I'm also still in the department review stage. I'm half expected us to find out some news in January, fingers crossed, but still need to look into what time of year applicants from the 23-24 cycle got their offers or rejections!
Reply 3
Hello, everyone! I applied for MPhil Social Anthropology at Cambridge University, my application status became "under review by the department" on November 11th, and it's been a full 6 weeks now. I don't think I'll hear anything further until mid-January.
Reply 4
Hi guys! Curious if anyone has had any updates yet? Mine is still under review by department, it's now week six I believe being under review.
Original post by juliannetet
Hi guys! Curious if anyone has had any updates yet? Mine is still under review by department, it's now week six I believe being under review.

I was just wondering! It'll be 6 weeks for me in a few days! I believe we MPhil applicants won't hear anything until early Feb or late Jan! Do you know if we will have an interview?
Reply 6
Hi guys, I'm an international applicant from China. My MPhil Social Anthropology application has been "under review" almost six weeks. Really anxious. I also applied Social Anthropology at Oxford and LSE, but there's been no response. About the interview, I received an invitation from another program (Sociology) at Cambridge last week. However, the interview didn't go well...
Reply 7
I was just wondering! It'll be 6 weeks for me in a few days! I believe we MPhil applicants won't hear anything until early Feb or late Jan! Do you know if we will have an interview?

I think no interview for us, they typically don't interview for Masters degrees in most departments! They may interview if we applied for funding and they want to get to know more about us/our project, but I'm guessing they would've done those already if so. So yeah I think we'll probably be finding out in Feb :/ I'm just hoping soon we'll see if we get moved from under review by department lol, I scanned last year's thread and it seemed like around this time up through the end of Jan most people found out if they were moved from under review!
Where have all of you here in this thread applied to? I have applied to lse, ucl, soas, and a university in my country + what are all of your research interests?
Reply 9
Where have all of you here in this thread applied to? I have applied to lse, ucl, soas, and a university in my country + what are all of your research interests?

I’ve only applied here and Oxford! I’m currently doing an MA in Modern History at Uni of York, so unless I get funding I likely won’t pursue another Masters. My focus area is on masculinities and how sexuality and gender are presented amongst Syrian refugees in Lebanon! Kind of niche so I’m hoping it’s still accepted lol. What about you? 🙂
Very interesting! Niche is great tbh! I'm sure it is an extremely intriguing and meaningful topic; one thing I realised when reaching out to prospective supervisors is that novelty is always very highly sought after, apart from being a good fit for the department!

I'm proposing a sonic ethnography of the auditory cultures of foreign domestic workers in Singapore and using that data to ask how the local population in Singapore organise sound and noise. I'm possibly going to have to tie it to notions of otherness/race!
Reply 11

I seek to examine the formation and maintenance of state power through infrastructure development in southwest China, which involves political anthropology and multi-species ethnography 😃By the way, my application has been under review by the department for a full 10 weeks now.
Reply 12
Those are great topics! Fingers crossed for all us, it sounds like we all have varying interests which is hopefully good for the department. Mine is now on week 7 of being under review, I have a feeling next week or the week after they may start reviewing applications and changing the application statuses, at least based on last year's Social Anth applicants!
Original post by Koitto77
Hi guys, I'm an international applicant from China. My MPhil Social Anthropology application has been "under review" almost six weeks. Really anxious. I also applied Social Anthropology at Oxford and LSE, but there's been no response. About the interview, I received an invitation from another program (Sociology) at Cambridge last week. However, the interview didn't go well...

Hi, was the interview for the MPhil or PhD in sociology? Also, did your status move from "under review" for that application?
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, was the interview for the MPhil or PhD in sociology? Also, did your status move from "under review" for that application?

MPhil in Sociology. It was just an informal meeting from my proposed supervisor. The status is still "under review". The interview didn't go well, and I think I will get reject...
Hi, I just got reject. Hope you guys can be successful!!
Reply 16
I didn't get an email, but I checked the portal and was also unsuccessful. Has anyone progressed? Fingers crossed for you all!
Hey all! So sorry to hear about the unsuccessful applications! All the best with your other applications. @ Julianne let us know if Oxford gets back!

My portal status is still "under department review", and I have not received a rejection email yet. I'm gonna see if I can survive 3 more UK office hour days before I start registering that I've "made" this purge or to see if the department is just takin its time to send out rejections and to reflect them on the portal; in which case I'm not safe.
Reply 18
Hey all! So sorry to hear about the unsuccessful applications! All the best with your other applications. @ Julianne let us know if Oxford gets back!

My portal status is still "under department review", and I have not received a rejection email yet. I'm gonna see if I can survive 3 more UK office hour days before I start registering that I've "made" this purge or to see if the department is just takin its time to send out rejections and to reflect them on the portal; in which case I'm not safe.

I am also still under review by the department. Hope we can hear good news
Reply 19
I hope it's good news for you guys that are still under review! Wishing you the best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending