The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil in the Ethics of AI, Data, and Algorithms 2024-25

Anyone else applied to this program? Any sense of the competitiveness/total class size, etc.?

I submitted my app for the Dec. 5th deadline and am hoping to hear back soon!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by milliquas
Anyone else applied to this program? Any sense of the competitiveness/total class size, etc.?

I submitted my app for the Dec. 5th deadline and am hoping to hear back soon!

Hey, yeah I applied for this deadline too! Not sure about the admission rate but have seen some posts on it. Looks like around 20%
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by Georgiaroseb
Hey, yeah I applied for this deadline too! Not sure about the admission rate but have seen some posts on it. Looks like around 20%

Best of luck to you!! Fingers crossed 🙂
Hi, I have applied for this course as well! What is everyone's background?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I have applied for this course as well! What is everyone's background?

Best of luck!! I'm an international applicant (from the US), studied AI in undergrad and have worked on responsible AI/related topics postgrad 🙂

How about yourself?
Original post by milliquas
Best of luck!! I'm an international applicant (from the US), studied AI in undergrad and have worked on responsible AI/related topics postgrad 🙂

How about yourself?

Your background sounds amazing! I am currently studying International Relations at UK uni and have professional experience working in early stage venture capital funds in Europe investing in AI. Dabbled with AI ethics in defence and national security!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Your background sounds amazing! I am currently studying International Relations at UK uni and have professional experience working in early stage venture capital funds in Europe investing in AI. Dabbled with AI ethics in defence and national security!

So does yours! AI + defense is fascinating, especially because the topic is so rife with ethical concerns. Best of luck, friend, hope it goes well for us both :smile:
Reply 7
Hi,

To answer your earlier question: last year they had around 100 applicants and wanted to enroll 20-ish students but ended up with close to 30.

But this year, as it’s the first after ChatGPT and their second cohort, they might have more applicants.

Keep us updated on your Applicant Portal status. 🤓
Original post by Dranox
Hi,

To answer your earlier question: last year they had around 100 applicants and wanted to enroll 20-ish students but ended up with close to 30.

But this year, as it’s the first after ChatGPT and their second cohort, they might have more applicants.

Mine currently says it is under review by the department. I submitted my application couple of weeks back. What does your status say?
Reply 9
Same, I submitted it before the funding deadline and it remains under review. :smile:

It’s been barely 2 weeks and Christmas is around the corner so I guess it’s unlikely to get any status change before new year 😛

They did mention it might take until February for an answer but one can always be hopeful for a surprise Christmas present. 🎄🎅
Just curious, what are the different statuses? There is under review by the department (which we are currently in right now), under review by the degree committee, PAO and finally offer/rejection? Am I missing something?
Reply 11
That’s about right. Except you can get a rejection without ever getting to PAO.
The department itself might make a rejection and then there’s no need for it to go to PAO.
If it does go all the way to PAO then there’s generally a high chance of getting an offer.
Reply 12
Original post by Dranox
Hi,

Super helpful numbers. thank you!! I also wonder how gen AI might change these stats.

My status still says under review by Dept. 🙂 Guessing unlikely to be a change before some time in the New Year.
Reply 13
Did you get an update on your status?
I also applied for this MPhil by the December deadline, still the department reviewing. I hear many people say that it overlapped with the interview round for undergrads.
Still under review, dont think we will hear back before mid Feb
Reply 15
Original post by AndGab22
Did you get an update on your status?
I also applied for this MPhil by the December deadline, still the department reviewing. I hear many people say that it overlapped with the interview round for undergrads.

Mine is still under review by Dept as well.
Reply 16
It would be cool to start a discord group, whatsapp or some other way to stay in contact, especially if there are more people 😉

Mine is also under review by the dept.

I would say the undergrad interview overlap is probably not super important as CFI doesn't teach undergrads. In the end it comes down to when the appointed CFI admission committee members can find time to look through the application documents in their busy schedule. I think it's worth noting that they are human 😜, just like us. It's pretty easy to notice by looking through the forum that a huge number of people apply at the very last moment before the deadline. There's good reason to believe that the CFI people will be no different. In other words, they might be postponing this, since it's not their highest priority on their agenda until they really have to deal with it.

Also, I talked to one MPhil student recently and was told that CFI people haven't really started dealing with the applications. To be fair, I have no idea how reliable is this information but it kind of pushes me to chill out, stop frantically checking the email/portal and just let it go until at least February. 🤣
Having said all of that, I'm just as anxious as everybody else. 😂

Cheers!
(edited 1 month ago)
Just a quick question, is everyone applying to this course intend to pursue a research career after? Or is it ok to have non-research career aspirations if you are applying to this particular degree?
Reply 18
It should be totally okay, I believe that in the current cohort they have a journalist and a lawyer, among many others. They look for people from all types of backgrounds that might be interested in AI Ethics. You should be fine. 😉
Reply 19
Did anyone get an update?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending