The Student Room Group

The downfall of Blackberry 40% workforce cut worldwide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24182038
"Blackberry has announced it is planning to cut 4,500 jobs, or 40% of its worldwide workforce, in an attempt to staunch huge losses.

The smartphone maker said it anticipated a loss of as much as $995m (£621m) when it reports its second-quarter earnings next week.

Shares in the firm closed down 17% after briefly being halted following the announcement.

In August, the Canadian company said it was evaluating a possible sale.

In a statement on Friday, Blackberry's chief executive Thorstein Heins said: "We are implementing the difficult, but necessary operational changes announced today to address our position in a maturing and more competitive industry, and to drive the company toward profitability."

"Going forward, we plan to refocus our offering on our end-to-end solution of hardware, software and services for enterprises and the productive, professional end user."

It was expected and inevitable. There's only so long that you can survive because of the 'yoot'. Even they are bored of Blackberry now. Their phones are absolutely dated now compared to Android and iOS phones.

When this is the image of your phone...
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/14624000/ngbbs4741d219ed149.jpg
Things are looking bleak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Well there is nothing special about BlackBerry anyway, the only thing people wanted is BBM which also isn't anything special.
Reply 2
Poor poor poor business decisions. Rim are so stubborn.

They should have just continued to make handsets and put an Android OS on them instead. There was only a matter of time before 'the yoot' loose interest in BBM due to Android messaging apps like 'WhatsApp'

They could have had a thing where they use an android type of system... but then you switch to work mode and you get security and it locks out the **** you dont need.... like a secure mode or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ham22
Who uses a keyboard?

A member of a 1980s style band.
Original post by datpiff
There was only a matter of time before 'the yoot' loose interest in BBM due to Android messaging apps like 'WhatsApp'

I've never understood why things like that are so popular, virtually every phone contract these days has unlimited texts. :dontknow:
Reply 5
Original post by sr90
I've never understood why things like that are so popular, virtually every phone contract these days has unlimited texts. :dontknow:

I never understood either, but a lot of young people I know have pay as you go phones. The Blackberry handsets could also be bought cheap as well which helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sr90

for instance , i have no credit on my phone, os i use whatsapp to communicate cause it's free
Reply 7
Now that BBM is cross-platform, Blackberry are well and truly dead in the water. It was their only USP and they're going to find it virtually impossible to monetise. Their handsets business is about to fold, nobody wants their software and their remaining markets are shrivelling up faster than the company can lay off staff.
Bet the management award themselves bonuses for their awful business decisions while making cuts to frontline jobs.
The reason whatsapp is so popular is because it is considered and "instant" messenger. Just like msn back in the day.

People want their messages instantly and texts can't always guarantee that feature.

Also I think soon their will be another craze that overrides iPhones (and Samsung galaxy's) just like they did to blackberrys. Technology just goes through phases like that. We just have to watch and wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending