The Student Room Group

Would it be possible re-applying for the same sixth form I’ve been withdrawn from?

I have been withdrawn from my sixth form a few days ago and I would like to re-apply for a different course in the same sixth form in September 2023. The only college that offers the same course I would like to apply for is around 40 minutes away from where I live by train, which is why I’m wondering if it is a realistic possibility being accepted after going through the process of re-applying again.
Original post by solepieno
I have been withdrawn from my sixth form a few days ago and I would like to re-apply for a different course in the same sixth form in September 2023. The only college that offers the same course I would like to apply for is around 40 minutes away from where I live by train, which is why I’m wondering if it is a realistic possibility being accepted after going through the process of re-applying again.

Why were you withdrawn? If it was down to poor attendance, poor behaviour, or similar then I suspect they'd be unwilling to re-accept you.

However, if it down to poor results (i.e. the academic side of things), and if you could convince them that you're likely to do much better on the new course, then you might be OK
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply!

It was down to both irregular attendance and poor results. I ended this year with my attendance being at 82%, which technically was fine since the college told me attendance needs to be at least at 80% and above. However, towards the end of the year my attendance became more irregular as there were strikes three days a week and I was unwilling to attend those few lessons since I wasn’t learning anything new, and we were only independently working on our assignments in class, which I could’ve done at home. Not the wisest move from my end but, despite my irregularity, my attendance was still above 80%.

On the other hand, I have met the pass criteria for all my assignments and exams; however, I handed in two of my assignments late, which could be the cause of my downfall, even though I still achieved pass. My performance throughout the year was mediocre and all I did was the bare minimum to achieve pass and get through the year.

To be honest, the reason why I have been withdrawn is not clear, the letter states that it could be due to poor attendance, insufficient submission of work and/or not meeting the pass criteria after resubmission; but I do not really check all the boxes since I have actually passed all my assignments and my attendance was barely acceptable.

I have already tried to contact my tutor, who told me to email the vice-principal to have a clear explanation of what led to my withdrawal, but I have received no response, and it has already been a week since then. I was considering to email the head teacher of my subject area now, so I hope this will lead me somewhere. Other than that, I’m not sure what else to do at this point, I’m feeling quite disappointed in myself for digging myself into this hole.

PS. I really appreciate it if you have come this far to read my story.
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply!

It was down to both irregular attendance and poor results. I ended this year with my attendance being at 82%, which technically was fine since the college told me attendance needs to be at least at 80% and above. However, towards the end of the year my attendance became more irregular as there were strikes three days a week and I was unwilling to attend those few lessons since I wasn’t learning anything new, and we were only independently working on our assignments in class, which I could’ve done at home. Not the wisest move from my end but, despite my irregularity, my attendance was still above 80%.

On the other hand, I have met the pass criteria for all my assignments and exams; however, I handed in two of my assignments late, which could be the cause of my downfall, even though I still achieved pass. My performance throughout the year was mediocre and all I did was the bare minimum to achieve pass and get through the year.

To be honest, the reason why I have been withdrawn is not clear, the letter states that it could be due to poor attendance, insufficient submission of work and/or not meeting the pass criteria after resubmission; but I do not really check all the boxes since I have actually passed all my assignments and my attendance was barely acceptable.

I have already tried to contact my tutor, who told me to email the vice-principal to have a clear explanation of what led to my withdrawal, but I have received no response, and it has already been a week since then. I was considering to email the head teacher of my subject area now, so I hope this will lead me somewhere. Other than that, I’m not sure what else to do at this point, I’m feeling quite disappointed in myself for digging myself into this hole.

PS. I really appreciate it if you have come this far to read my story.

I assume you will be appealing this withdrawal - it's only legal if it's on behaviour grounds.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
I assume you will be appealing this withdrawal - it's only legal if it's on behaviour grounds.

Yeah, I think this is what I am going to do next if I don’t get any response.

Could I ask you to explain me how appealing works?
Reply 5
Yeah, I think this is what I am going to do next if I don’t get any response.

Could I ask you to explain me how appealing works?

The letter should have told you. Who was it from?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
The letter should have told you. Who was it from?

It was from the Vice-principal, but it doesn’t say anything about appealing
Reply 7
It was from the Vice-principal, but it doesn’t say anything about appealing

Reply and say you wish to appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending