The Student Room Group

British scientists claim to have found proof of alien life

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachel0
That's kinda awesome, I would love for it to be true!

It would be in regards to human development a bad idea to meet "alien life" because whether it is hostile or not, it would almost certainly give us diseases and we would give it diseases, that both parties immune system would not be prepared for.
Reply 21
Original post by Rational Thinker
It would be in regards to human development a bad idea to meet "alien life" because whether it is hostile or not, it would almost certainly give us diseases and we would give it diseases, that both parties immune system would not be prepared for.

While that is true, think of all the things we could learn from it!
Original post by Rachel0
While that is true, think of all the things we could learn from it!

That is true. However it would have to be closely contained.

Most diseases have trouble jumping between different species as it is, and we are all made from the same stuff. An alien species that likely has a different biochemical makeup would be even more difficult to trade illnesses with.
This is old news. We found bacteria in space years ago, and this is barely out of the planet. Anyway, bacteria in space =/= intelligent extra-terrestrial life. This isn't proof of aliens.
Original post by betaglucowhat
Most diseases have trouble jumping between different species as it is, and we are all made from the same stuff. An alien species that likely has a different biochemical makeup would be even more difficult to trade illnesses with.

Considering the impact of Aids which I believe was transferred from another species (admitted one that was relatively similar to us) I don't think that the impact of potential diseases can be overstated, this is not to discourage searching for "alien life" but merely a caution that problems can arise.
Reply 26
Considering the impact of Aids which I believe was transferred from another species (admitted one that was relatively similar to us) I don't think that the impact of potential diseases can be overstated, this is not to discourage searching for "alien life" but merely a caution that problems can arise.

HIV* 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I'd rather read about science in science journals. Almost all of the normal newspapers use sensationalist titles and articles.
Original post by StephenNaulls

Conceeded, altough Aids is merely HIV in an untreated form.

HIV is a good example. Alien life might not even use DNA, and if it did, it would almost certainly be encoded in a different way to our own, have different regulatory mechanisms, packaging, etc. HIV wouldn't know what to do with it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be something to prepare for, but it's unlikely. Definitely not a certainty.

Original post by Pinkhead
I'd rather read about science in science journals. Almost all of the normal newspapers use sensationalist titles and articles.

You might not get that chance with this one, the Journal of Cosmology is a bit of a joke.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by betaglucowhat
HIV is a good example. Alien life might not even use DNA, and if it did, it would almost certainly be encoded in a different way to our own, have different regulatory mechanisms, packaging, etc. HIV wouldn't know what to do with it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be something to prepare for, but it's unlikely. Definitely not a certainty.

You might not get that chance with this one, the Journal of Cosmology is a bit of a joke.

Yeah the whole Hoover incident, right? The International Journal of Astrobiology is more trustworthy.
Reply 31

AIDS is the illness (acquired immune deficiency syndrom) whereas HIV is the virus, therefore HIV is spread and the person gets AIDS as a consequence of the infection.
Reply 32
Even if it is it's probably not going to be revealed in details.
Reply 33

You still can't catch AIDS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending