The Student Room Group

Not entitled to student finance

Hi, not sure if anyone can help me, I've got a bit of a sticky situation.

Ill start at the beginning, I grew up in the UK, and have lived here over half of my life, in 2019 to 2022 because of family circumstances I had to move to Hungary, as I was underage I had no choice in the matter even though I view England as my home and is closer to heart than Hungary as ever been. As soon as I finishes my studies there (which are equivalent to the British A levels) I came back to the UK to work full time, since 2022 October 31 I have been here working while taking 2 gap years.
I planned to start university this September and have had my application ready for a while, but I recently found out that to be able to get student finance I have had to been here for 3 years in a row before, but because I was in Hungary finishing my studies I obviously have not been here. In September it will only have been just under two years I've been back here.
I was wondering, is there anything at all I can do to get SFE, is it worth to appeal it if I don't get it when I apply?

Also does anyone know if SFE does exemptions where the 3 years is concerned?

Many thanks,
GS
(edited 3 months ago)
Are you a uk national/passport holder?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you a uk national/passport holder?

No I'm not, however I've got Settled status
Original post by Goldie05
No I'm not, however I've got Settled status

Can you prove that your stay in Hungary was always intended to be temporary and that your "ordinary residence" remained the UK even while studying abroad?
Hi Goldie05,

You may be eligible if your stay in Hungary was of a temporary nature and you are able to demonstrate this with evidence such as temporary employment, temporary accommodation, return flight tickets and/or UK bank statements with regular transactions that show you maintained a link to the UK.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Can you prove that your stay in Hungary was always intended to be temporary and that your "ordinary residence" remained the UK even while studying abroad?

I'm not too sure, what kind of proof could I use for that?

thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Goldie05,

You may be eligible if your stay in Hungary was of a temporary nature and you are able to demonstrate this with evidence such as temporary employment, temporary accommodation, return flight tickets and/or UK bank statements with regular transactions that show you maintained a link to the UK.

Thanks, Clare

hmm okay I might be able to work with that, thank you for taking time to reply, I appreciate it!
hmm okay I might be able to work with that, thank you for taking time to reply, I appreciate it!

Hi there,

You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew
I'm not too sure, what kind of proof could I use for that?

thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

It would be worth you talking to UKCISA - they offer an advice line for people with questions like yours. It has limited opening hours but they're the experts on the categories and types of evidence that might be acceptable around fee status and student support eligibility
https://ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCISA/Contact-us#layer-6404
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
It would be worth you talking to UKCISA - they offer an advice line for people with questions like yours. It has limited opening hours but they're the experts on the categories and types of evidence that might be acceptable around fee status and student support eligibility
https://ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCISA/Contact-us#layer-6404

Okay, thank you so much for this information, its been so helpful!
Okay, thank you so much for this information, its been so helpful!

Hi there,

You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending