The Student Room Group

Bills problem with previous tenancy

So I moved out of a flat in July and my energy account was closed immediately afterwards. However, my supplier British Gas sent me additional bills for the period after my tenancy has ended and demanded me to pay since the account is still under my name (Although i have closed it). British Gas has urged me to contact the landlord to create account with British Gas so they can bare the cost; however I tried contacting my previous flat agency and they just refuse to cooperate or showing any tendency to bare the bills that was incurred after my tenancy ended. The current tenant of the address did not move in when bills accumulated and they have switched landlord agency, as well as energy supplier after the moving. This means the property was vacant, and it would 100% be the landlords liability, but I'm struggling to take actions as my previous landlord refuse to respond; any advice?
Original post by Papafrankuu
So I moved out of a flat in July and my energy account was closed immediately afterwards. However, my supplier British Gas sent me additional bills for the period after my tenancy has ended and demanded me to pay since the account is still under my name (Although i have closed it). British Gas has urged me to contact the landlord to create account with British Gas so they can bare the cost; however I tried contacting my previous flat agency and they just refuse to cooperate or showing any tendency to bare the bills that was incurred after my tenancy ended. The current tenant of the address did not move in when bills accumulated and they have switched landlord agency, as well as energy supplier after the moving. This means the property was vacant, and it would 100% be the landlords liability, but I'm struggling to take actions as my previous landlord refuse to respond; any advice?

You say "my energy account was closed immediately afterwards". The account was closed. Your tenancy ended. You are no liable for any further costs.

British Gas don't want the hassle of trying to work out who's liable for the costs incurred since you left. Nor do they care. They just want someone to pay. They have your details, so they're chasing you.

Write to them, enclosing proof that the account was closed (I assume you received something in writing from them when you closed the account?) and proof that the tenancy ended (likewise, I assume you have some evidence of this?). Explain to them that you are not responsible for the charges they are seeking payment for and provide contact details of the landlord. You need to be very clear, precise and firm with them. They need to understand that you will not be bullied into paying a bill for which you are not responsible.

If that doesn't do the trick, then you need to follow their formal complaints procedure, making it clear that their behaviour is neither professional nor acceptable.

If you're not satisfied with their response, then after eight weeks you can contact the Energy Ombudsman.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending