The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine

I have a fairly good score in my UKCAT (765 average), my GCSE's and predicted A-levels are good too but would it be silly to apply for Liverpool as they don't look at UKCAT at all? Is Liverpool even more oversubscribed than other universities as a result of getting everyone who scored poorly in UKCAT applying there? Thanks
I think Liverpool have now introduced the GAMSAT. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Reply 2
Original post by RainBow_xo
I think Liverpool have now introduced the GAMSAT. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm not applying to Liverpool but as far as I'm aware GAMSAT is only used by a few universities as a graduate alternative to UKCAT
Reply 3
Original post by Ruairi_m
I have a fairly good score in my UKCAT (765 average), my GCSE's and predicted A-levels are good too but would it be silly to apply for Liverpool as they don't look at UKCAT at all? Is Liverpool even more oversubscribed than other universities as a result of getting everyone who scored poorly in UKCAT applying there? Thanks

Well I know some exceptional candidates applying to Liverpool. It was my first choice uni but then I got 815 in my UKCAT and decided against it. I couldn't afford to blow the spot with such an advantageous score. I only just got full GCSE points for Liverpool (my GCSEs weren't great at all).

I don't think the caliber of student applying there is particular to their UKCAT score. It is very oversubscribed because lots of weaker UKCAT candidates use it as a 'safe-haven', but in my opinion it's anything but. Unless your PS is strong you've got really tough competition there.

If I had 765, I'd seriously consider applying there, but at 790 I'd step back and reconsider that position.
Reply 4
Original post by AdamskiUK
Well I know some exceptional candidates applying to Liverpool. It was my first choice uni but then I got 815 in my UKCAT and decided against it. I couldn't afford to blow the spot with such an advantageous score. I only just got full GCSE points for Liverpool (my GCSEs weren't great at all).

I don't think the caliber of student applying there is particular to their UKCAT score. It is very oversubscribed because lots of weaker UKCAT candidates use it as a 'safe-haven', but in my opinion it's anything but. Unless your PS is strong you've got really tough competition there.

If I had 765, I'd seriously consider applying there, but at 790 I'd step back and reconsider that position.

How did you prepare for the UKCAT?
Reply 5

My friend.. always apply to your strengths.. there are universities out there which love high UKCAT and you really should be predicted AAA (one being chem). Liverpool don;t look at ukcat but like a good PS and grades so if you have both then it'll be worth applying to atleast one non-ukcat.. even though I feel you should apply to those which love UKCAT as 765 is a pretty high score.
Reply 6
Hi everyone,
I am an international student in my final year of the IB with predicted scores of:
English HL: 6
French HL : 6
Chemistry HL: 6
Biology HL: 6
History SL: 5
Math SL:5

I have a UKCAT score that is quite average unfortunately, 660 and I am only applying to Edinburgh for medicine... is there any point in me applying?
Reply 7
Original post by sport999
How did you prepare for the UKCAT?

3.5 weeks of 2-4 hours a day (with a few days off, mind) using primarily the Kaplan book and MEDIFY. Didn't like the 600Q book. Out of date and totally unrepresentative.
Reply 8
Original post by AdamskiUK
3.5 weeks of 2-4 hours a day (with a few days off, mind) using primarily the Kaplan book and MEDIFY. Didn't like the 600Q book. Out of date and totally unrepresentative.

What would be your top 1 tip?
Reply 9
Original post by sport999
What would be your top 1 tip?

Honestly and truly *do not* forget to flag and move on. I trained myself to do it before the exam perfectly and then just got flustered and didn't do it in QR. I got 730 but it was my lowest score because I didn't spend time on easier questions.

It's so, so easy to say before you walk in that you'll flag and move on but when faced with a question that you *KNOW* you can do, you can get quite obsessive and end up getting a lower score.

On a side note, eat a good breakfast with high protein, low carbs and no refined sugar (no muffins, cake, chocolate or heaps of nutella/jam then!)
Original post by emma201295
I'm not applying to Liverpool but as far as I'm aware GAMSAT is only used by a few universities as a graduate alternative to UKCAT

Ohh I'm sorry! I was only thinking of graduate entry 😋
Reply 11
Original post by SiMan
My friend.. always apply to your strengths.. there are universities out there which love high UKCAT and you really should be predicted AAA (one being chem). Liverpool don;t look at ukcat but like a good PS and grades so if you have both then it'll be worth applying to atleast one non-ukcat.. even though I feel you should apply to those which love UKCAT as 765 is a pretty high score.

Thanks for your advice, I think I will apply to Liverpool anyway as it has long been a city which I have liked the idea of living in and I have strong work experience, extra-curricular, voluntary work and predicted grades so it can't hurt to pick 1 non-ukcat university :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks for your advice, I think I will apply to Liverpool anyway as it has long been a city which I have liked the idea of living in and I have strong work experience, extra-curricular, voluntary work and predicted grades so it can't hurt to pick 1 non-ukcat university :smile:

Good on you. go for it. :smile:
Hi! Im applying for 2014 entry as a uk student to edinburgh, imperial, bristol and bsms

Can anybody tell me my chances?
I got a terrible UKCAT score of 620 (hence application to bristol who have no tests and imperial who use the bmat)
But my AS results were AAAB and im predicted A* in biology A in chemistry and an A in english lit'
My gcses were 6A*s 3As and 2Bs however i did get a B in maths gcse as i had a tendency not to care very much at the time..

I have 5 years volunteering with red cross doing first aid and 6 months at an old peoples home
I have 2 weeks work experience in a hospital and a week with a GP. I also have loads of extracurriculars!

Im very confident in my personal statement :smile:

Anybody have an help or advice? what are my chances? is my ukcat too low? :frown:'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending