The Student Room Group

Asda 'mental patient' costume withdrawn from sale online

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kidomo
i think it's inappropriate to have these sorts of costumes, but then again when has Halloween ever been appropriate?

This. Remember a year or so ago when the Jimmy Saville costumes were making the rounds?
Original post by Llewellyn_J
It's called 'psycho'... not 'people with mental health issues in general.' It's portraying some evil ****ed up guy without making associations to any particular group. You might as well ban all SAW movies and Friday 13th and other movies like that for EXACTLY the same reason. It's PC gone mad once again, except this time most of the TSRians who read this are is falling for it.

The ASDA one was called 'Mental Patient' - it was the Tesco one that was called 'Psycho'.

Original post by ipoop
It was done though after stern criticism from offended parties, I don't agree with them removing because someone was offended. Yiu are right though, It wasn't censorship technically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's no different to stopping sales of anything else because of complaints though.
Reply 82
Original post by ipoop
It was done though after stern criticism from offended parties, I don't agree with them removing because someone was offended. Yiu are right though, It wasn't censorship technically.

Should we censor those that were offended to prevent others being offended by them taking offense?
Original post by Algorithm69
People with mental illnesses have brains that do not work normally. If you want to have some vacuous debate about "WHAT IS NORMAL?" I'm not interested. And I specifically said can be scary. We hear about crazy people committing horrific crimes all the time. All the iconic movie loons have been based on real people. So yes, mentalists can be scary.

Oh so it was the name you disagree with? So why wasn't your first post "Golly gee no need to remove it, just change the name"?

Oh you're one of those who believes normal = majority. Right. That a small minority. You're actually more likely to be a victim of violence if you have a MH condition than commit it. Your precious normals are scarier than us.

Because I thought it was disgusting that these were allowed to go on sale with that name. But yeah if it wasn't called mental patient, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They should be able to sell the costume with a different name of course
Reply 84
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I have a mental health problem myself I'm not some idiot telling you what to find offensive.

You have a mental health problem? Really? I didn't know.
Reply 85
Original post by n00
Should we censor those that were offended to prevent others being offended by them taking offense?

Yes! :tongue: Let's ban them from reproducing while we're at it! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Oh you're one of those who believes normal = majority. Right.

From Wiktionary:

1. According to norms or rules.

2.Usual; ordinary.

3.Healthy; not sick or ill.

All 3 of these definitions would imply that mentally ill people are not normal. Of course, that doesn't mean they should necessarily be treated differently.
Great. That saves me choosing a costume this year. I'll just dress up as a normal person. You're not going to be offended by my disgusting stereotype of normal people are you?

Nothing you said rebutted my statement that mental people can be scary. Because they can be.

No more so than anyone else then.
Reply 88
I have mental health issues and tbh, what a waste of an alright costume :/
Original post by Kiss
Should stop selling zombie costumes since they are offensive to lobotomised individuals.

should stop selling fake blood its offensive to those who have been in an accident.

No seriously its not the outfit that is offensive its the name they used for it. They could have just renamed it as 'zombie killer' or something. Don't know why they had to get rid of all the costumes when they could just change the name lol.
Nothing you said rebutted my statement that mental people can be scary. Because they can be.

Especially the ones with straight-jackets and face masks.
Reply 91
Great so dressing up as a grossly exaggerated stereotype is not a problem. Also, I'm not even sure I agree with your assertion that Halloween is only meant for scary costumes. I mean come on that's liking saying Christmas is only for worshiping Jesus. Who are you to declare what I should and should not do at Halloween? If I want to dress up as pretty princess I can.

Tbh, there's nothing scarier than a guy in a princess costume :hide:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great so dressing up as a grossly exaggerated stereotype is not a problem. Also, I'm not even sure I agree with your assertion that Halloween is only meant for scary costumes. I mean come on that's liking saying Christmas is only for worshiping Jesus. Who are you to declare what I should and should not do at Halloween? If I want to dress up as pretty princess I can.

I meant they're no scarier than anyone else. No you can do what you want but I've never seen anyone just randomly dress up for Halloween other than in American TV?
Original post by thunder_chunky
This. Remember a year or so ago when the Jimmy Saville costumes were making the rounds?

:ditto:

That's Halloween for you. Frankly, i don't even know why we have one? It's not even part of the British culture!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by NB_ide
URGH they should have known better, what a disgraceful insult to mental health patients everywhere! I hope they make a VERY large donation to charities concerned to put right the damage these costumes have caused. My friend is depressed and this is HIGHLY offensive - she's never murdered anyone! Seriously everyone thinks people with mental health issues are serial killers but it is NOT TRUE, I hope someone sues these shops into the ground. Sickening.

I also find it very offensive when people dress up as "sexy nurses" and so on - implying that all nurses are air-headed sluts when in reality it is a very demanding and honourable profession. My aunty was a nurse for many years and I find this highly offensive.

I also knew a girl at school who considered herself to be a witch and there is a sizeable community of self-identifying witches in the UK. I find the typical witch get-up worn at Halloween to be very insensitive and it very much misrepresents these people.

And just how do you think black cats feel about being sloppily represented by 1000s of girls every year? I'm pretty sure they're not happy about it.

And DON'T GET ME STARTED about dressing up as celebrities and all that - THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN IMAGE AND IT IS VERY OFFENSIVE TO IMITATE THEM.

If you are being serious, you are insane. Apologies if thats not politically correct. If your joking, thank god! Out of interest, what will you be dressing up in this halloween? Oh wait, your probably not going, its offensive to pagans.
Reply 95
Original post by ipoop
Tbh, there's nothing scarier than a guy in a princess costume :hide:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, there can be. My boyfriend once dressed up as a fairy. Wings and all.

Considering he's quite hairy, and the skirt was quite short, it was a sight to behold...
Reply 96
Original post by thunder_chunky
That's no way to talk about Man Utd fans.

Oh ho ho ho!!!!

Reply 97
Gonna be controversial and say... I don't see the big offense with the costume? I say this as someone with mental health problems and a grandad who has been sectioned in a straight jacket before.

Halloween is about dressing up as scary things, and the straight jacket is a creepy thing. There are enough representations of this in films, yet no-one really says anything. People in this country are getting too touchy about things. Just because someone wears that doesn't mean everyone is going start thinking mental health = person in straight jacket. To be honest, my psychology A-Level would make me think that more than seeing a creepy mental patient on halloween.
Original post by Kiss
Oh ho ho ho!!!!

I know, I know. I amaze even myself sometimes.
Reply 99
Original post by kidomo
mate you're crossing the line here....

That's offensive to the families of people who got hit by trains.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending