The Student Room Group

Retake A levels or do pharmacy

1. Hi, basically I have been offered a place to study pharmacy at Uni of Portsmouth, however I am aware that Portsmouth is not the best uni, and so I was wondering that even if I did a lot of placements and volunteering at hospitals/pharmacies, gaining lots of work experience in the industry, would my place of doing my degree hold me back from getting the good (and high paying) jobs in the industry, especially since I’ve heard that Pharmacy is getting more and more competitive and that there is a surplus of graduates. (ie are the students from the better unis given priorities for the jobs)
2. Also, I’m the kind of person that like to study and stay focused, and doesn’t like drinking or clubbing at all, and hence was wondering if I would be able to find people like me on my course at Portsmouth (Any advice from current students/graduates of the Uni would be very helpful)
3. Also, I got a bbc in chem bio maths for A levels and so I’m very scared that that might affect my chances of getting a good job in the future, so I’m thinking weather I should just retake my a levels and apply next year to other courses.
Thanks for the help and any advice would be much appreciated!!
(edited 1 year ago)
If you can go this year, then I would as from next September I read they are changing the student finance loans rules. Have a look on www.moneysavingexpert.com
1.)
Pharmacy is a strange course, that unlike something like Law, it doesn't matter where you study. The regulatory body the GPhC sets the syllabus, and the pre-reg exam. So the courses only differ on teaching styles, and may go more in depth maybe in some areas. Have a read and see how Portsmouth structures their course.
I know someone who went there and she hasn't a bad word to say about it, I think she liked it. Yes, it's not a top 5 school like say Nottingham but it doesn't matter. Employers only care about 2 things. You have a degree in pharmacy, and you have passed the pre-reg exam and your name is on the register. So no, it won't hold you back. Pharmacy is no where as near competitive as there are now 30 schools of pharmacy. This summer about 13 of them were in clearing! Last summer it was 18 out of 30 ! (60%) !!
The only time it gets a bit competitive is with trying to get a hospital pre-reg in a popular place, and keep in mind that around two-thirds of grads work in community or retail pharmacy like Boots/Tesco/Lloyds, etc Make sure you do at least ONE day in a community pharmacy so you can see what goes on. Some find it too mundane and dull/boring. You must like the general public, and you must be prepared to stand up to them, for example : refusing the sale of a medicine. You need to be able to deal with conflict, which obvs you will be taught these skills, but if you're a very shy, or anxious person, or not very fit (as you'll be standing for mostly 8 to 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week!) or have any mental health problems, then you might want to think if pharmacy is really for you, as it can be very draining physically, and mentally.
Also the unis talk up GP surgery work a lot, but this is still a new, niche market making up only about 5% of pharmacists doing that, but it is growing.

2. Yes, there are all types of people, quite a few muslims do pharmacy, so my friend had a cinema night club, while others of us went into town for student night at the local nightclub, but no, drinking and going out is not compulsory, although I would encourage you to get to know as many people on your course as you can. Especially as you go into Year 2, that can be when you lose quite a few people, end of year 1, who find it too hard, or failed the first year and don't want to re-sit or have decided pharmacy isn't for them.

3. Nobody will ever ask you about your A levels after Fresher's week! Honest.
Like I said at the start, you need the degree and to pass the exam and be on the register, that's it.
I'm just shy of being on the register nearly 30 yrs, and nobody has ever asked me what A levels I did, I have been asked where I did my degree, but that was about it. I can't even recall being asked what I got!! (a 2:1 ).

Hope this helps
But look at the changes to student finance and try and go this year if you can, and you may save money in the very long term.
Try really hard to get a day in a pharmacy. Or at the very least go and ask if you can make an appointment to speak to a pharmacist in Boots, Tesco, Asda, Mr Singh's Chemist (independent) etc. Ask them if they like their degree, do they like their job, would they recommend doing a pharmacy degree, etc, etc Make a list before you go. Ask about what they don't like about the job! What are their career plans, do they regret doing pharmacy? was it their original choice, like are they a 'failed' medic or dental student, and are they going to look into Fast-track Graduate entry. Ok, so just a few hints there, and try and do High Street, pharmacies next to or within the Dr's surgery. supermarket, just to get a feel for the different type of atmosphere, like supermarkets can be very noisy if you're right in the middle of the store. Pharmacies attached to a Dr's can be stressful bc a lot of people may want to wait, especially if there aren't any other shops nearby for them to go to, to get their paper, etc. High St, like a big Boots might be a bit slower on scripts, but you might have a big OTC, over-the-counter business so there could be lots of people wanting to buy medicines and they want advice about side-effects, or interactions. Again, this can be a noisy place.

Do let me know if this helps, and if anything else you want to ask.
Don't be surprised if you get mixed reactions when you talk to some pharmacists.
(I always wanted to be a GP but wasn't good enough for med school, so....!!)
And just to check, are you a medic who missed their grades? because this would be where I need to bring in ecolier to talk to you!
Original post by Hdjysbhd
1. Hi, basically I have been offered a place to study pharmacy at Uni of Portsmouth, however I am aware that Portsmouth is not the best uni, and so I was wondering that even if I did a lot of placements and volunteering at hospitals/pharmacies, gaining lots of work experience in the industry, would my place of doing my degree hold me back from getting the good (and high paying) jobs in the industry, especially since I’ve heard that Pharmacy is getting more and more competitive and that there is a surplus of graduates. (ie are the students from the better unis given priorities for the jobs)
2. Also, I’m the kind of person that like to study and stay focused, and doesn’t like drinking or clubbing at all, and hence was wondering if I would be able to find people like me on my course at Portsmouth (Any advice from current students/graduates of the Uni would be very helpful)
3. Also, I got a bbc in chem bio maths for A levels and so I’m very scared that that might affect my chances of getting a good job in the future, so I’m thinking weather I should just retake my a levels and apply next year to other courses.

Martin Lewis: 'This is a big increase to the cost of uni' Government makes sweeping reforms to the student loan system in England

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/02/student-finance-loans-changes-education/
Reply 3
Hello, thank you very much for your reply, it really helped, I’ve completed the first year for pharmacy and I really enjoyed, and I’m so glad that I took up the offer when I had the chance, cause I don’t regret it one bit.

I also ended up finding great friends just like me, and were actually living together this year!
Thank you for your really helpful message
Reply 4
Original post by Hdjysbhd

It doesnt matter WHERE you do your MPharm degree.
All MPharm are accredited by the GPhC as equal - literally equal, the same, no difference.

You will see so much silly snobbery on here about UCL etc - and it is all total nonsense.
'Posh' Uni is actually meaningless.

The NHS and other future employers are not going to ask 'which Uni' - you are a qualified Pharmacist, that is all they want to know. And your future patients/customers wont care either.

You will see the same silly nonsense about 'Medicine' on TSR - that somehow there is a 'better' Med degree out there somewhere. Think about it - when was the last time you asked your doctor or pharmacist 'where did you train'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending