The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City University 2023

Hello 2023 Applicants:hello::hello::hello:

My name is Kelly and i am a second year Adult nursing student at City university of London.

Feel free to ask anything and please mention:

1) course
2) educational background eg A levels or Btecs
3) The year you start your course.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Kelly-CityUoL

My name is Kelly and i am a first year Adult nursing student at City university of London.

1) course

Hello Kelly :smile:

Welcome to :tsr:

What's the best and the worst thing about studying adult nursing as a degree course? :holmes:
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by 04MR17
Hello Kelly :smile:

Welcome to :tsr:

What's the best and the worst thing about studying adult nursing as a degree course? :holmes:

Hey,

The best part of Adult nursing for me would be the amazing patients who really appreciate the care we give. A lot of them are dealing with so much on top of their illness so its really inspiring to see them turn their lives around, and its an honor to be able to help and care for them. I also love learning all the practical skills during placement, because you get to do cool stuff like watch surgery or pregnancy ultrasounds ect.

The worst part would be writing essays whilst on placement because its extremely stressful trying to balance the two. but other than that i love my course.

:h:
Reply 3

My name is Kelly and i am a first year Adult nursing student at City university of London.

1) course

Hi Kelly, I have a question please. I’m a first year at City doing Adult nursing. Which site did you use to site all your references for your essays ? And also when you’re referencing something from the reading list, do you know how to do it? Is there a website we can use to help us? And also with books and journals is there a website you used to help reference it? Or do you know how to reference books and journals? And one last question please , where did you get most of your information for your essays in first year ? Was it just from the reading list? Or was they from online, books and journals etc and if they were books and journals did you get them from the school library or elsewhere please?. Sorry for all the questions it’s just I’m about to start my first essay soon and I just need some help and also for one of our essays we don’t get a sample essay so I’m kind of scared about that and just trying to get all the information I can. Thank you so much in advance !*
Original post by Seyiibs
Hi Kelly, I have a question please. I’m a first year at City doing Adult nursing. Which site did you use to site all your references for your essays ? And also when you’re referencing something from the reading list, do you know how to do it? Is there a website we can use to help us? And also with books and journals is there a website you used to help reference it? Or do you know how to reference books and journals? And one last question please , where did you get most of your information for your essays in first year ? Was it just from the reading list? Or was they from online, books and journals etc and if they were books and journals did you get them from the school library or elsewhere please?. Sorry for all the questions it’s just I’m about to start my first essay soon and I just need some help and also for one of our essays we don’t get a sample essay so I’m kind of scared about that and just trying to get all the information I can. Thank you so much in advance !*

Hello @Seyiibs,

When i had my first university essay i did not know how to cite or reference so i had to learn from scratch. The two major websites I use are Cite them right which you have access to using your City username and password and the other website is Cite this for me which will write the citations and references for you. Cite them right is a guideline website so it shows you the dos and don'ts of writing your references and citations, but it will not write them for you. Have a look at both - at City we use Harvard referencing but always check with your lecturers as some year groups can differ from others. Every book from the library or reading list should be referenced - you can do it yourself or you can use these websites

Looking for books and journals - In first year i used the reading list but most of my literature came from the City online library. you just go to the online library search bar and type in a word related to your essay. For example if you are writing an essay about a mental health disorder you will search up "mental illness" or "depression" or " mental health nursing." you can contact city library via email and ask for a mini tutorial on how to use the uni resources. In nursing we use a lot of guidelines from nursing or health organisations for example NMC, NICE, WHO ect which you can definitely use in your essays if they are relevant. you can find them on google. You can also get access to other libraries for example the RCN library which has many nursing resources and its 89p a month for nursing students; but this wont be necessary its just added resources for you to use. you can get books from the uni library because some books wont be available in the online library. make sure all resources are relevant and up to date eg last 10 years.

Sample essays - its only first year i think where you will get sample essays, so its best to learn how to properly structure an essay as soon as possible. For me the best way to structure an essay is following the assignment objectives and strictly following them. You don't want to go off in a tangent and loosing the aims of your essay. Objectives are your paragraph topics for example your objective is asking you to talk about the importance of maintaining patient safety. One or two paragraphs should be dedicated to why is patient safety important, what is it and how is it maintained by nurses.

hope that helps and goodluck
Reply 5

1) course

Reply 6
Hello @Seyiibs,

When i had my first university essay i did not know how to cite or reference so i had to learn from scratch. The two major websites I use are Cite them right which you have access to using your City username and password and the other website is Cite this for me which will write the citations and references for you. Cite them right is a guideline website so it shows you the dos and don'ts of writing your references and citations, but it will not write them for you. Have a look at both - at City we use Harvard referencing but always check with your lecturers as some year groups can differ from others. Every book from the library or reading list should be referenced - you can do it yourself or you can use these websites

Looking for books and journals - In first year i used the reading list but most of my literature came from the City online library. you just go to the online library search bar and type in a word related to your essay. For example if you are writing an essay about a mental health disorder you will search up "mental illness" or "depression" or " mental health nursing." you can contact city library via email and ask for a mini tutorial on how to use the uni resources. In nursing we use a lot of guidelines from nursing or health organisations for example NMC, NICE, WHO ect which you can definitely use in your essays if they are relevant. you can find them on google. You can also get access to other libraries for example the RCN library which has many nursing resources and its 89p a month for nursing students; but this wont be necessary its just added resources for you to use. you can get books from the uni library because some books wont be available in the online library. make sure all resources are relevant and up to date eg last 10 years.

Sample essays - its only first year i think where you will get sample essays, so its best to learn how to properly structure an essay as soon as possible. For me the best way to structure an essay is following the assignment objectives and strictly following them. You don't want to go off in a tangent and loosing the aims of your essay. Objectives are your paragraph topics for example your objective is asking you to talk about the importance of maintaining patient safety. One or two paragraphs should be dedicated to why is patient safety important, what is it and how is it maintained by nurses.

hope that helps and goodluck

You’re literally the best, you don’t even know how much you’ve helped me ! Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending