The Student Room Group

EU students departure help

Hey,

I am a mother of a Catz fresher and I'm trying to help him prepare for his departure, meaning help him with baggage, plane tickets, etc. So I'd like your opinion on several aspects:

1. When and how do you insure your laptop, phone? He's EU/International student so the parents' insurrance is not available.
2. How much time does it take until he can pay stuff? I'm asking this because I'm worried that he has to pay for the battels before the card arrives.
3. How is the UPay system tied to his bank account? Are there commissions for transfering money from the bank account to the UPay account?
4. For Catz people, is there a room where he can keep his stuff for summer, besides the locker which is available?
5. Is it usual for parents to go to the informal setting?
6. I've seen that Lloyds TSB has two kind of account types: one for students and one for economies. Are there any commissions for transfering money between these accounts?
7. Could you please recommend a bank with cheap international transfer commissions and cheap international card usage taxes?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Adriana
Reply 1
Could anyone try to answer at least some of the questions? I really need the answers fast as there are only 3 days left until he has to leave.

Thanks!
Reply 2
Hi,

I can answer a couple of those questions.

1. There are lots of companies that offer student insurance - but Endsleigh are the most well known, I even think they offer cover specifically for international students.

3. UPay - there's no cost to transfer money from a UK bank account to the UPay account e.g. if your son loads £10, then only £10 will be taken from his bank account. I don't know what the case is with transferring from a non UK account.

I can't answer the more Catz specific questions - but i'm sure there's a facebook group for Catz freshers where your son could ask questions (and I doubt he's the only one with questions about when payments are due and storage).
Original post by musca-n lapte
Hey,

I am a mother of a Catz fresher and I'm trying to help him prepare for his departure, meaning help him with baggage, plane tickets, etc. So I'd like your opinion on several aspects:

1. When and how do you insure your laptop, phone? He's EU/International student so the parents' insurrance is not available.
2. How much time does it take until he can pay stuff? I'm asking this because I'm worried that he has to pay for the battels before the card arrives.
3. How is the UPay system tied to his bank account? Are there commissions for transfering money from the bank account to the UPay account?
4. For Catz people, is there a room where he can keep his stuff for summer, besides the locker which is available?
5. Is it usual for parents to go to the informal setting?
6. I've seen that Lloyds TSB has two kind of account types: one for students and one for economies. Are there any commissions for transfering money between these accounts?
7. Could you please recommend a bank with cheap international transfer commissions and cheap international card usage taxes?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Adriana

Hi! Catz student here, happy to help :smile:

1. The room comes with basic contents insurance, i.e. if something gets stolen from it (as long as there is evidence that the room was secure beforehand) the college will pay. This doesn't cover stuff outside the bedroom or forgetting to lock your door, so you might want to look at other insurance options! Endsleigh are the usual student choice.

2. Your battels bill will come probably a week or so after you arrive, and you will be expected to pay about a week after that. If there is a reason you can't pay right away, I'm sure you can contact the college office and explain - they are human, and very nice actually.

3. Upay is a pay-as-you-go system, you can either top up manually every time you need money, or set up an auto top-up of a set amount (up to £50) every time you run out. The latter choice is obviously a risk, but very useful, as it means you will never have to borrow someone else's card to pay for hall.

4. International students have access to several storage rooms that others do not, which get quite full but should be enough for your needs. The locker is also very generous, I've easily fitted all my stuff in there before. So it's not really a problem.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by 'informal setting'. If you mean the informal sitting of dinner, known as scaf, then yes parents do come now and again - and to hall, the more 'formal' (though not really) meal. They're not seen often, but it's fairly normal for them to come visit. Is that what you mean?

6 + 7. I'm afraid I really don't know. You'll have to contact the specific banks in question for that kind of information, or do some internet window-shopping.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any more questions you might have to me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending