The Student Room Group

Help with living costs

Hi! I am not sure whether I can get a maintenance loan, but I am 100% sure I could get student finance, as I am getting it right now. I want to try my luck though. So when I will re-apply, I’ll apply for both. Could I just get refused for maintenance loan and still get student finance for my studies, or is it now worh it to try my luck?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princesa55
Hi! I am not sure whether I can get a maintenance loan, but I am 100% sure I could get student finance, as I am getting it right now. I want to try my luck though. So when I will re-apply, I’ll apply for both. Could I just get refused for maintenance loan and still get student finance for my studies, or is it now worh it to try my luck?

Hi there, can you clarify are you getting maintenance loan this year for 23/24? If so, you will be assessed when you reapply in 24/25 for this. The amount may depend on your household income (depending on your age). Any further questions please respond to this thread rather than your duplicate ones. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, can you clarify are you getting maintenance loan this year for 23/24? If so, you will be assessed when you reapply in 24/25 for this. The amount may depend on your household income (depending on your age). Any further questions please respond to this thread rather than your duplicate ones. Thanks, Jason

No, I have applied for tuition fee only which I get. That’s why I was asking if I’ll apply in spring again, but this time for help with living costs as well, if I could get it. I have settled status from 2022.
No, I have applied for tuition fee only which I get. That’s why I was asking if I’ll apply in spring again, but this time for help with living costs as well, if I could get it. I have settled status from 2022.

When did your course begin was it September the 1st 2023? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
When did your course begin was it September the 1st 2023? Thanks, Jason

Yes
Reply 5
And another question: as I applied for tuition fees only, I applied through post. Will I need to do that again right now? Or re apply online,
Thanks, Princesa
And another question: as I applied for tuition fees only, I applied through post. Will I need to do that again right now? Or re apply online,
Thanks, Princesa

Thanks. If you had settled status prior to the 1st day of your course (August the 1st, 2023) then you can apply for the full funding. If you sent us an EU23N form this year then when you reapply you can submit the PN1 form if you're requesting maintenance loan. The form for September 2024 is not yet released. This will be released in the spring. Thanks, Jason
Reply 7
Thanks. If you had settled status prior to the 1st day of your course (August the 1st, 2023) then you can apply for the full funding. If you sent us an EU23N form this year then when you reapply you can submit the PN1 form if you're requesting maintenance loan. The form for September 2024 is not yet released. This will be released in the spring. Thanks, Jason

Thank you so much! Yes I applied with the EU23N form. So I can’t apply online directly from my account. I have to submit the PN1 form through post right? But the one for continuing students, not new students as I will be in my second year of studies starting from september 2024. Can you please tell me if this is exactly how I need to apply?
Thank you so much! Yes I applied with the EU23N form. So I can’t apply online directly from my account. I have to submit the PN1 form through post right? But the one for continuing students, not new students as I will be in my second year of studies starting from september 2024. Can you please tell me if this is exactly how I need to apply?

Hi there, It would be the application for new students as this is the first time you are applying as a Home student. Thanks, Angela
Reply 9
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, It would be the application for new students as this is the first time you are applying as a Home student. Thanks, Angela

Hi, so even though I get a tuition fee paid towards my university since september 2023, I was not considered a home student?
Thank you, Princesa
Hi, so even though I get a tuition fee paid towards my university since september 2023, I was not considered a home student?
Thank you, Princesa

If you completed an EU23N form then currently you're being assessed as a non UK student. The PN1 will update and change this via your account so come year 3 in 25/26 you would be able to apply online. Thanks, Jason
Reply 11
If you completed an EU23N form then currently you're being assessed as a non UK student. The PN1 will update and change this via your account so come year 3 in 25/26 you would be able to apply online. Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason, a question just came up to my mind, sorry for the late reply. Hypothetically, if I apply with PN1 and I get refused for the maintenance loan, can I still get tuition fee paid to my university? Like the refusal of one does not make me lose the other one as well right? I was a bit overthinking it😫
Thank you,
Stefania
Hi Stefania,

You would be eligible for the Maintenance Loan as you gained settled status prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course. If for some reason you weren't eligible, you would still be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan as an EU student with pre settled status.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 13
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Stefania,
You would be eligible for the Maintenance Loan as you gained settled status prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course. If for some reason you weren't eligible, you would still be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan as an EU student with pre settled status.
Thanks, Clare
Than you. Do I need to send the PN1 only through post? I have a sfe account currently but only for the tuition fee
Hi Princesa55,

Yes, you need to post the paper PN1 form, I have provided the link to the form below. You will need to provide your Home Office Letter and Share Code to confirm your settled status.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6543a65cd36c910012935c7b/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare
Reply 15
Hi Princesa55,
Yes, you need to post the paper PN1 form, I have provided the link to the form below. You will need to provide your Home Office Letter and Share Code to confirm your settled status.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6543a65cd36c910012935c7b/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ
Thanks, Clare
Thank you so so much! I will wait for the 2024/2025 to be released and I will apply. Thank you.
You're welcome, have a lovely day. :smile:
Reply 17
You're welcome, have a lovely day. :smile:
Hello again. 😀 After checking my account it says that the application for 2024/25 has been submitted I just need to sign it. As I need to send the documents through post, what exactly should I do? Leave that one as it is online and proceed with the posting or? Is the PN1 for 2024/2025 available? Thank you.
Hi Princesa,

This would be for your EU application you would need to sign the declaration and post it back to us for your 2nd year however if you are now applying for UK funding you would not need to do this and just post us the paper PN1 form.

https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2425/ft/sfe_pn1_form_2425_o.pdf

Thanks, Drew
Reply 19
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Princesa,
This would be for your EU application you would need to sign the declaration and post it back to us for your 2nd year however if you are now applying for UK funding you would not need to do this and just post us the paper PN1 form.
https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2425/ft/sfe_pn1_form_2425_o.pdf
Thanks, Drew
Oh okay thank you so much. So I just need the EU application and it will update automatically. Can I do it now even though the first year of uni hasn’t finished yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending