The Student Room Group

Eligibility for Student Finance

I have been in the uk for 8 years and currently on a family route visa to settlement, my partner has settled status and my daughter is British. Am I eligible for student finance?

My current visa expires in September 2026

I am 27
Nationality: Nigerian
Looking to apply for University of Central Lancashire
Course: Software engineering
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there,

Do you have limited leave to remain? When are you due to get your indefinite leave to remain? Is your partner an EU national?

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
Do you have limited leave to remain? When are you due to get your indefinite leave to remain? Is your partner an EU national?
Thanks, Drew

I have limited leave to remain, just started my 10 year route to settlement however my partner is an EU national with Settled Status.
Thanks
Hi there,

You would not be eligible for funding as you have limited leave to remain. The only way you would have been eligible is through Long Residency however you would not meet this criteria. As you are 27 you would need to have lived in the UK for at least half your life or 20 years (whichever is the least) without a break in residency. You have only lived here for 8 years which is not half your life.

Thanks, Drew
Thanks Drew. I saw this on the gov website l and thought the last paragraph applies to me.

When you’re eligible for tuition fee-only funding
You can apply for tuition fee-only funding if you have one of the following:

pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and you’re an EU national or the family member of an EU national

Irish citizenship

You must have been living in the UK, the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

You may also be eligible for tuition fee-only funding if either of the following apply to you:

you’ve lived in Gibraltar or the other British Overseas Territories

you’re a person of Chagossian descent and have British citizenship

you’re the family member of a person with settled status and you’ve lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course

Hi there,

Are you and your partner married or not?

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,
Are you and your partner married or not?
Thanks, Drew

We are Married
Hi there,

You may be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan only. Has your partner also been living in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course. The will also still live in the UK when you study? Does the course start in September 2024?

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,
You may be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan only. Has your partner also been living in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course. The will also still live in the UK when you study? Does the course start in September 2024?
Thanks, Drew

Yes she has live for more than 3 years and is currently living in the UK. The course starts in September 2024.
Hi there,

Then you should be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan only as a family member of a settled person. You will need to complete the EU24n form and post it back to us.

https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2425/eu/eu_eu24n_form_2425_o.pdf

Student Finance Services
Student Loans Company
PO Box 89
Darlington
United Kingdom
DL1 9AZ

Thanks, Drew
Thanks Drew, this was really helpful.
You're welcome. I hope you have a nice evening.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending