The Student Room Group

I want to quit uni cause of anxiety, advice please!

I suffer from anxiety and moved back to uni. I am living with a group of 4 girls, they are really nice. However I get really anxious and have panic attacks from the smallest thing, I also get really anxious in lectures and seminars. So I usually want to go back to somewhere to escape from it all, but I dread going back to the house I share with the girls. I get anxious at home but it feels more manageable there, but then again it happens anywhere. So I would like to know if I am overreacting, would it better if I found place to share with one person, or will my anxiety be the same. I would like to commute from home which would make my life so much easier but it will take way too long, so I can't do it on a daily basis. So am trying to decide 1) stick it out and continue living with the group of girls 2) find another place to live where I don't have to deal with many people 3) defer my year until I get better -which I really don't want to do but I might have to.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
just relax, after youve been there a while youll get used to it. its only natural to be worried at first but it soon wears off.
Reply 2
anyone please?
Put yourself in compromising scenarios so that other ones don't bother you, an example would be to walk into your lecture theatre naked. That way you won't feel nervous about doing anything else.
Reply 4
Nope don't do it. I suffered the same during my undergrad. It sucks to feel like you're going to clam up in front of everyone. Then you start ducking and avoiding classes where you have to present. It's not the end of the world. After doing the valedictorian speech at my high school I got a bad case of anxiety around presenting and exams. But trust me you can overcome this.

Establish a rapport with your professors. Go to their office hours (do they have office hours in the uk?) and talk to them. I had one professor ask me just to do my presentation right there in his office haha.. Another professor made tea and really encouraged me to do it with no pressure.. Do whatever I had to just to stand up there. And I did. It felt great. So tell them what you're experiencing.

Also, remember to breathe deep all the way down. This is huge. I'm now in undergrad and am really outgoing around presenting and exams etc. Breathing slows your heart, allows your muscles to relax. It helps immensely to ground you.

Good luck, don't quit. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Keenanp
Nope don't do it. I suffered the same during my undergrad. It sucks to feel like you're going to clam up in front of everyone. Then you start ducking and avoiding classes where you have to present. It's not the end of the world. After doing the valedictorian speech at my high school I got a bad case of anxiety around presenting and exams. But trust me you can overcome this.

Establish a rapport with your professors. Go to their office hours (do they have office hours in the uk?) and talk to them. I had one professor ask me just to do my presentation right there in his office haha.. Another professor made tea and really encouraged me to do it with no pressure.. Do whatever I had to just to stand up there. And I did. It felt great. So tell them what you're experiencing.

Also, remember to breathe deep all the way down. This is huge. I'm now in undergrad and am really outgoing around presenting and exams etc. Breathing slows your heart, allows your muscles to relax. It helps immensely to ground you.

Good luck, don't quit. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I totally relate am always worried about clamming up in front of everyone. But am slowly finding ways to cope with it, I just realized by sitting right in front at the lectures where I don't see everyone, helps me calm down. We do have office ours but I luckily don't have to do any presentation this year as far as I know. I am slowly dealing with the lectures and I informed my tutor just in case in a later date I miss a deadline cause of my anxiety. But my main worry is living at the house, seriously whenever am there I just hate it and just so anxious but am scared I might just have to stick it out.
Reply 6
Original post by ontrack7
Thanks for the advice, I totally relate am always worried about clamming up in front of everyone. But am slowly finding ways to cope with it, I just realized by sitting right in front at the lectures where I don't see everyone, helps me calm down. We do have office ours but I luckily don't have to do any presentation this year as far as I know. I am slowly dealing with the lectures and I informed my tutor just in case in a later date I miss a deadline cause of my anxiety. But my main worry is living at the house, seriously whenever am there I just hate it and just so anxious but am scared I might just have to stick it out.

That's great dude/girl? Regardless. Keep doing what you have to do to get it done. People will understand. Anxiety is usually due to reasons you can't help. It's an accumulation of things in your life. :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by Keenanp
That's great dude/girl? Regardless. Keep doing what you have to do to get it done. People will understand. Anxiety is usually due to reasons you can't help. It's an accumulation of things in your life. :colondollar:

thanks, am a girl btw.
Reply 8
anyone please?

you cannot let your emotions dictate your life

only drop out if you dont enjoy the course content.

you need to fight this, see a gp
Reply 9
I'd say speak to a GP and look into counselling. Also, maybe explaining to your housemates that you suffer with anxiety will make you feel better? That way they'll be aware and will be better equipped to help you deal with things.

I identify with your lecture/seminar issues so, so much. I also sit near to the front and also on the end whenever I can. I have friends who sit with me and they just know that I don't like not being near the front or on an end. This time last year, I'd never have spoken in a tutorial group of about 10 people, let alone in a lecture in front of goodness knows how many people. I'm on medication now and have had counselling and even though I definitely still get a bit nervous about speaking in these situations, I choose to do it when I have something to contribute and slowly but surely, it's getting better.

Even if you don't have to do any presentations, I'd still recommend speaking to your lecturers/teachers one-on-one. I had one tutor last year who I told about my problems and he was so understanding and made a point of checking how things were going every now and then.
id suggest seeing the uni councellor or psychiatrist or visit the local gp
I suffer from anxiety and moved back to uni. I am living with a group of 4 girls, they are really nice. However I get really anxious and have panic attacks from the smallest thing, I also get really anxious in lectures and seminars. So I usually want to go back to somewhere to escape from it all, but I dread going back to the house I share with the girls. I get anxious at home but it feels more manageable there, but then again it happens anywhere. So I would like to know if I am overreacting, would it better if I found place to share with one person, or will my anxiety be the same. I would like to commute from home which would make my life so much easier but it will take way too long, so I can't do it on a daily basis. So am trying to decide 1) stick it out and continue living with the group of girls 2) find another place to live where I don't have to deal with many people 3) defer my year until I get better -which I really don't want to do but I might have to.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, I'm Gemma. :smile:
You're at university, and well done for getting there!! This whole panic attack and anxiety situation may be temporary, and sure, it's hard, I know how you feel, and I'm here for you also!! But please do not quit university. You've made it so far, and the degree at the end of it will for sure make you stronger as a person because you've achieved something that you've pretty much set out to do! That'll make you happier with yourself. Maybe the whole thing with those 4 girls is a confidence thing? :s-smilie: Please feel free to talk to me whenever, and stay strong.
Hey :smile:
Anxiety can be such a pain I know, but maybe rather then feeling like you have to deal with it, why don't you take a whole new approach toward your feelings to actually help yourself ?? This website has become my absolute rock, I think it might be helpful if you have a peek, it's just information on how to cope, written by someone who's had it
Also I think you should stick with it, you shouldn't have to compromise your dreams because of anxiety, don't let it define you !! I know it sounds easy for me to say, but maybe with some understanding of what's happening things could improve, of course being thrown into a new enviroment is going to provoke the natural anxiety that every one gets, however you feel it more than others, but the most rewarding approach is to face anxiety as head on as possible, say yes to things and feel the fear, look at every bout of anxiety as an opportunity, an oppertunity to learn more about it, and realise that it won't hurt you, again I know it sounds easy but I've been there and done it, and at first it was hard but the months went by and I really have gained more more confidence, I really hope you do whatever you feel is right, and good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Let me tell you about me.

At the start of 2011 I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder. It got to a stage when I just got so anxious I couldn't leave the house in fear of something bad happening. So I had counselling, and this changed my life. Now I live abroad and am at university and my life is much better than it was in the dark days. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. And whilst I'll always had GAD and be a worrier, I can now live life knowing I am in control again.

I would like to recommend you a book. Dale Carnegie - How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. It was written in 1948 and it's one of the best books ever. Once you get over worries, you realise the world is yours, you can do anything you want to do.

Best of luck.
Reply 14
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I am trying as hard as possible to push myself, but I need to take into account that I don't push myself so much that end of damaging my health. Right now am trying as hard as possible to continue at university. I am actually a person who usually pushes my self as I am a shy person and put my self into situations where-by i can be vocal. But right now anxiety puts me in a position where i can't do this as i cant even handle normal situations but am working on getting there. If i overcome speaking in public before i tell myself surely i can handle this normal everyday ssituations. I've seeked all the help I can get so i'll just see how it goes.
Reply 15
I have panic attacks from everything usually, but now I have panic attacks from uni from my lecturers and lessons I escape from them I don't wanna go to university I have many absentees and now I don't knew what to do I am in 4th grade student my father had paid so much money for my lesson and we are in a bad situation now my father's business is going to be so bad we have financial problems in our country Armenia is in a bad situation now every second can be war and I am so scared from this reality I don't know what to do I can't go university but at the same time I am afraid from my absentees I want to leave uni but my parents don't let me Really I am in a very bad situation my panic attacks are so much from everything.

Quick Reply

Latest