The Student Room Group

Jack Jebb, Arsenal Youngster, Banned For Using Racist Language

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/02/jack-jebb-racist-language_n_4029463.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&ir=UK

Jack Jebb, the Arsenal youngster, has been suspended for four matches for using racist language.

The 18-year-old, billed as a "technically-gifted central midfielder" by his club, was found guilty of "using abusive and/or insulting words, including a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race".

The incident happened in a match against Norwich City last season and match officials are said to have lodged the complaint.

Any discriminatory abuse must be met with a minimum five-match ban, according to the Football Association, but because the incident occurred in the 2012-13 campaign Jebb was instead handed a four-match ban and a fine of £1,800.

Jebb is also an England youth international and has been capped at both Under-16 and Under-17 level.

He is yet to make his Arsenal debut.

Thoughts on this? I think it's only fair, to show that racism is not tolerated in football at all. He may be young, but he should still know better.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wanna know what he said.
I'd laugh if it was one of those words used in rap songs legally sold in this country.
Reply 3
Racism has no place at Arsenal it goes against all our principles. I don't care how talented he is, I hope Arsenal release him he'd be better off at Chelsea
Reply 4
It's standard workplace policy for racist language to be grounds for disciplinary action. No reason why sports should be any different.
Reply 5
Original post by Psyk
It's standard workplace policy for racist language to be grounds for disciplinary action. No reason why sports should be any different.

Depends upon what he said.
Reply 6
Original post by Kiss
Depends upon what he said.

I suppose, but I'd expect most workplaces to be pretty strict on it.
A four-match ban and a fine of £1,800 doesn't seem that much.
I see nothing wrong. 4 match band and a fine. Just because hes a footballer doesn't mean he should get any special treatment. Racism has no place anywhere.
Reply 9
Original post by thunder_chunky
A four-match ban and a fine of £1,800 doesn't seem that much.

for using a few words someone didn't like? Would someone with Tourette's or a talking parrot get the same penalty?
So it's a 5 match ban for racist abuse but a 3 match ban for a a potentially dangerous tackle that could finish someone's career?

Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous.
Reply 11
what did he say
Original post by thesabbath
Would someone with Tourette's get the same penalty?

Apples and oranges. Someone with Tourette's has clear mitigation.

or a talking parrot

What, someone with a parrot or an actual parrot? I don't think they allow parrots on football fields
Original post by Heliosphan
So it's a 5 match ban for racist abuse but a 3 match ban for a a potentially dangerous tackle that could finish someone's career?

Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous.

I agree, dangerous tackle should get a 10 match ban,
Original post by MostUncivilised
Apples and oranges. Someone with Tourette's has clear mitigation.

What, someone with a parrot or an actual parrot? I don't think they allow parrots on football fields

So the crime is not the production audibly of the words themselves, but the thoughts of the person out of whose mouth they emerge. Heresy against the Multi-Kult, or Thoughtcrime, in other words. Politically motivated "hate speech" laws need scrapping for a free and open society.
(edited 10 years ago)
Heresy against the Multi-Kult

Why do you suddenly break out into German? Interesting choice of language given your views on immigrants. Just sayin'

[video="youtube;vlmGknvr_Pg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmGknvr_Pg[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
for using a few words someone didn't like? Would someone with Tourette's or a talking parrot get the same penalty?

Well obviously not since it isn't the same for someone with tourettes is it? Anyway how many pro, semi pro, or soon to be pro players have tourettes? We aren't even talking about people who can't help it, we are talking about people who know what they are saying and doing. Moot point.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Why do you suddenly break out into German? Interesting choice of language given your views on immigrants. Just sayin'

[video="youtube;vlmGknvr_Pg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmGknvr_Pg[/video]

Like many of your Leftist brethren when you encounter an inconvenient point you resort to reductionism to change the subject (be it grammar, spelling or a word you pick out). How about commenting on the body of my post?

Not that there is any contradiction between supporting border controls and the right of the UK's population to not be rapidly made a minority in their own country by foreign imports, and the employment of cosmopolitan language to illustrate an oft-made point.
You would have to be really obtuse and narrow-minded to believe otherwise.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well obviously not since it isn't the same for someone with tourettes is it? Anyway how many pro, semi pro, or soon to be pro players have tourettes? We aren't even talking about people who can't help it, we are talking about people who know what they are saying and doing. Moot point.

So it's the mind of the person making the sounds which are understood to be "racist language" then, Okay. Anything else you would like the Thought Police to take a look at?
Reply 19
So it's the mind of the person making the sounds which are understood to be "racist language" then, Okay. Anything else you would like the Thought Police to take a look at?

Well obviously it's largely only frowned upon if there is clear intention behind it. I could sit in public and utter long strings of random syllables and I would at some point say some very strongly disliked racist words by chance - no-one's going to prosecute me for it though.

No-one's being punished for thought crimes though, what a stupid point you insist on keeping on trying to twist people's posts to make. If he hadn't come out and said it, he wouldn't be being disciplined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending