The Student Room Group

Question about studying medicine

Hi there,

I am currently studying the first year of college and I am currently studying the following subjects: Chemistry, Product design, Computing and Music Technology. I have been researching into different university courses recently and medicine seems to be one I would like to do as I really enjoy chemistry, its one of my favourite subjects through out GCSE and now in college I love it even more.

My question is if I do really well at AS and A level chemistry will I be able to do a medicine course without another science or maths A level.

If its not possible is there anything I could do to be able to do the medicine course? Because at the moment I am a bit stuck :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by tastybagels
Hi there,

I am currently studying the first year of college and I am currently studying the following subjects: Chemistry, Product design, Computing and Music Technology. I have been researching into different university courses recently and medicine seems to be one I would like to do as I really enjoy chemistry, its one of my favourite subjects through out GCSE and now in college I love it even more.

My question is if I do really well at AS and A level chemistry will I be able to do a medicine course without another science or maths A level.

If its not possible is there anything I could do to be able to do the medicine course? Because at the moment I am a bit stuck :confused:

It is known that most unis want another science ( biology) with your chemistry a-level to do medicine. I am not sure whether there are unis who would accept your a-levels but I might be wrong. You could also do a foundation year and then study medicine which would take 6 years time. This would be an ideal choice for you with that A-levels. Maths a-level is not compulsory to do medicine, so its clearly your choice unless you want to apply to Oxbridge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Medicine is insanely competitive. And i mean INSANELY. Although you have chemistry, your other subjects will be compared to biology and maths of other students, so medicine may be out of reach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Your subjects will unfortunately mean the conventional route isn't open to you. Your options are to start new A-levels that do satisfy the requirements, look into foundation years, or apply as a graduate of a different subject.

Original post by wizard101
Maths a-level is not compulsory to do medicine, so its clearly your choice unless you want to apply to Oxbridge.

Maths is not a requirement for for Oxford or Cambridge medicine.
Reply 4
thanks for the responses guys, I am considering doing a foundation course after college, does anybody know roughly what the entry requirements are for doing a foundation course.

thanks
Reply 5
thanks for the responses guys, I am considering doing a foundation course after college, does anybody know roughly what the entry requirements are for doing a foundation course.

thanks

For the majority of the foundation courses you have to come from a low income family and a disadvantaged (failing) school, and the grades required are usually around BBB. They aren't to replace A Levels, but to build up skills of students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The only exception which I could find is Sheffield which has a foundation year for those with a non-scientific background - they require AAA
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

thanks

There are lots of foundation years about, each targeting different groups of people. Depending on the subject, some are for people who took incompatible subjects, some for people who underachieved due to extenuating circumstances, etc etc

Since I live close to Nottingham I looked there, and they require CCC including chemistry for access to their foundation year, and they also have GCSE requirements of B in chemistry, B in biology (if not taken for A level) and C in maths and English. BB in double science also works. Each university is individual, though. Have a search.
Reply 7
Hi there,

There is plenty you can do. Some unis offer foundation courses for those who have great A-levels in the wrong subjects, or have feeder programs that take bright students from other degree courses in the same uni. It is fiercely competitive, but don't let that put you off. Read the requirements, get some relevant experience and enjoy the ride :smile:
Reply 8
Hi there,

You probably need at least 2 sciences. Also, medicine at uni is not like chemistry. If enjoy chemistry, then apply for chemistry.
You don't need maths, but you definitely need biology. Can't you just ask your sixth form / college if you could drop an AS level and take biology instead?

Just to let you know, application to undergrad medicine will close on the 15th of October...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending