The Student Room Group

Benefits of Futher Maths

Our teacher kept a few of us behind today and said that she thinks that we should do the further maths paper in the summer. This would mean doing our unit 3 in January so staying after school to finish the course. After this the class would be split in 2 with some carrying on with the unit 3 work and others doing further maths, same room but different work.

What in your opinions are the pros and cons of studying further maths?

I would to it as I have nothing to lose, but I'm not really comfortable with this teacher's teaching methods so I'm a bit unsure.
Any advice?
Reply 1
it is well sick init fam i say u best go 4 it init wag1. basically it is well helpful nd it looks 2 sick on ya uni application cus they think u is some math wizard get me? Best ting to do is take it i say fam it helps u long ting nd it aint even dat hard u know what man means? Hope that helps :biggrin: check it before ya reck it ma G
Reply 2
It better prepares you for A Level maths. I did additional maths and didn't find it to be difficult. :nah:
You might have to actually listen in some of the lessons now, though!
Reply 3
do it op
Reply 4
If you're prepared to work during lessons, then definitely take it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
It better prepares you for A Level maths. I did additional maths and didn't find it to be difficult. :nah:

so how ya find dat den was it alrite, basically me take me maths a yr early nd me smash it up got an A* nothing special fam. so i was wondering would ya like a cup of tea?
Reply 6

Original post by smd4std
do it op

Original post by Tuya
If you're prepared to work during lessons, then definitely take it :smile:

thanks for the replies :smile: I'm definitely willing to work, just thinking does the FM GCSE advance on things already learned in the maths GCSE, in other words around how much of the course is new unlearned material?
Reply 7
Original post by mazda21
thanks for the replies :smile: I'm definitely willing to work, just thinking does the FM GCSE advance on things already learned in the maths GCSE, in other words around how much of the course is new unlearned material?

It follows on from GCSE maths. You'll be looking at some harder GCSE level questions and easier AS level topics, basically. It's a nice bridge :yep:
Reply 8
It follows on from GCSE maths. You'll be looking at some harder GCSE level questions and easier AS level topics, basically. It's a nice bridge :yep:

so far it sounds okay :smile: sorry for all the questions :colondollar: but are there many study guides for FM? It's just that I've founds these useful so far.
Reply 9
Original post by mazda21
so far it sounds okay :smile: sorry for all the questions :colondollar: but are there many study guides for FM? It's just that I've founds these useful so far.

I have no idea. I have never used study guides for any of my subjects. Sorry.
Reply 10
I have no idea. I have never used study guides for any of my subjects. Sorry.

no that's fine, thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by mazda21
Our teacher kept a few of us behind today and said that she thinks that we should do the further maths paper in the summer. This would mean doing our unit 3 in January so staying after school to finish the course. After this the class would be split in 2 with some carrying on with the unit 3 work and others doing further maths, same room but different work.

I would to it as I have nothing to lose, but I'm not really comfortable with this teacher's teaching methods so I'm a bit unsure.
Any advice?

Pro's:

If you like maths it should be enjoyable

It will assist you with your normal maths

If you apply to Uni for a maths related course you will be looked on more favourably than a candidate without it.

If your very gifted at maths it may be easier for you to bag an extra high grade

Con's:

It will require a lot of additional study time (but this is time you would otherwise be spending on an alternative subject)

Loads and loads and loads of maths to learn, though this may be a pro for some.

If you want to study maths at somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge then the vast majority of candidates will have a whole A2 further maths qualifications and you have to sit one of their "special" exams (forgot the names, though not really a con, more of an annoyance)

Potentially neglect other subjects due to the amount of maths

That's all I can think of at the moment
Reply 12
op this will save you:
http://www.examsolutions.net/
Reply 13
Original post by PPPPatrick
Pro's:

If you apply to Uni for a maths related course you will be looked on more favourably than a candidate without it.

If your very gifted at maths it may be easier for you to bag an extra high grade

Con's:

It will require a lot of additional study time (but this is time you would otherwise be spending on an alternative subject)

If you want to study maths at somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge then the vast majority of candidates will have a whole A2 further maths qualifications and you have to sit one of their "special" exams (forgot the names, though not really a con, more of an annoyance)

The OP was talking about Additional maths - the GCSE, not the A Level - so a lot of this is off.
Reply 14
I did this without any extra revision and got an A (no A*s)
Well, I did Further Pure Maths (Edexcel) and from what the teachers said, it was like a couple of the A-Level topics made slightly easier so that we could do them. Although we didn't have enough time to finish the course (and everyone practically just winged the exam), it was actually a good course as it prepared us well for some of the topics in IB SL Maths. If you have the time to do the course, I would highly recommend that you do it as it establishes a good bridge between GCSE and A-Level (and it also means that you have some background knowledge on some of the topics when you start the course in Year 12).
Reply 16
The OP was talking about Additional maths - the GCSE, not the A Level - so a lot of this is off.

Oops, just skim read.

OP, don't bother if it's GCSE's :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by PPPPatrick
Pro's:

Con's:

I agree with the bol part, FP1 is SO SO beautiful:biggrin:
Original post by mazda21

Any advice?

Some students who find GCSE's easy can get a good grade in Maths almost without working. When they start AS Maths in Y12 they struggle because they have dropped out of the habit. Taking Further Maths GCSE keeps you up to speed (and helps you get into AS material as others have said). So if you want to take Maths (and possibly Further Maths) at A level and want a good grade, then go for the extra GCSE now. There is also a benefit in working with the better group - the teacher will go faster and may cover some extra material.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending