The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

1+3 course - Wellcome Trust Infection and Immunity

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone currently on the 1+3 course funded by the Wellcome Trust. I was hoping you might be able to give me more of an insight into the course (past what is on the website) and how you are finding it. Also, what courses did people complete for their UG and with what grade? And any application tips?

I am looking for a course that has the opportunity to work with various bacteria to analyse their method of infection and how they effectively evade the immune system. From what I can see on the course site, this seems to be on offer.

I'm currently in my third year of a Forensic Science course. A large part of the second year was based around Molecular Biology and that is when I really realised what I enjoyed and wanted to do. My third year project is based on identifying certain proteins in bacteria, and expressing and visualising them with a view to understand how a potential target site works in different genera. I've been doing a lot of further study to understand the areas that haven't been covered in the FS course.

I know a lot of people who would apply for courses like this would come from a biology/biomed/biochem background. I partly feel like I may be coming from the wrong UG course, and while I am in the process of writing up my application, I am concerned as to how it'll be received.
Hi there,

I know I am a bit late to answer to you post, since the application process is closed. Did you applied to the program? Do you know anything already?
I am very interested in this PhD program for several reasons, but I am starting to get worried. The interviews will be in 20 days and since I don't live in the UK I will need to book a flight...

Either way, I think that if you have a BSc. with honors and a strong personal statement you will be short listed. On the other hand, I am not so sure about me... I don't have honors in my BSc (I do have in my MSc but I don't know if they even look at that) but I have 2 scientific papers in international peer reviewed journals and an award from an international microbiology society... Lets wait to see! I just hope it doesn't take too long...

If you or anyone did know anything about the interview invitations please let us know!!

Thank you very much
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ThemegaLaliz
Hi there,

I know I am a bit late to answer to you post, since the application process is closed. Did you applied to the program? Do you know anything already?
I am very interested in this PhD program for several reasons, but I am starting to get worried. The interviews will be in 20 days and since I don't live in the UK I will need to book a flight...

Either way, I think that if you have a BSc. with honors and a strong personal statement you will be short listed. On the other hand, I am not so sure about me... I don't have honors in my BSc (I do have in my MSc but I don't know if they even look at that) but I have 2 scientific papers in international peer reviewed journals and an award from an international microbiology society... Lets wait to see! I just hope it doesn't take too long...

If you or anyone did know anything about the interview invitations please let us know!!

Thank you very much

Hi, have you heard anything yet?
Nop.. And you? I sent an email asking if they could already say anything about my application status but they just replied the same thing...
Reply 4
Did you receive the email?
Reply 5
Email? I'm still waiting to hear... when I submitted my application, I was told to wait until the end of January...
Reply 6
Hi, I received an email late friday for interview on the 23/24th. I'm wondering has anyone applied for the Wellcome trust/ CIMR at cambridge?
Reply 7
Yes, what field are you in?
Reply 8
Have you heard back from CIMR yet? Biology, you?
Reply 9
No but I'm not really expecting to, my application wasn't very strong. I'm microbiology.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
to be honest I'm not expecting to either...
Reply 11
Original post by kljj
No but I'm not really expecting to, my application wasn't very strong. I'm microbiology.

Did you ask at the interview what date we would hear back? I totally forgot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending