The Student Room Group

AQA 25 marker structure

I'm doing A2 economics this year and my 25 mark questions are appalling, I always get 11/25 marks maximum and I don't know how to get further.

If anyone can help me with the structure (including when to add diagrams and talk about how to make a good conclusion/evalutaion)

I would be very grateful if anyone helps :smile:
Thnx in advance!
Basic Structure, well I used it anyway, and got an A at AS, goodluck.

25 mark structure would usually consist of

-2 solid definitions explaining the relevant keywords the question is asking (backed with examples if applicable)

-An introduction to the topic at hand, depending on whether it's macro refer back to macroeconomic objectives

-1st Diagram / Explanation of what's happening (from the text)
-Analysis of first diagram, (Chain Links) words such as 'therefore, in hindsight'
-Evaluation of first diagram, words such as 'although, other factors effect' talk about stakeholder's affected
(Evaluation is where you use you're own knowledge to assess the impact of the ongoing of your analysis)

-2nd Diagram / Explanation of what's happening (from the text)
-Analysis of second diagram
-Evaluation of second diagram

-3rd Diagram / Explanation of what's happening (from the text)

-Conclusion
This is where you weigh up your argument to come to a finalized conclusion; taking into account you're evaluation of the 3 Analysis points you've made. You say what overall effects may occur, the effect on the economy and add relevant concluding factors in regard to the question. Argue different viewpoints and say which you think has the higher weighting. ALWAYS DIRECT YOU'RE ANSWER TO WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Basic Structure, well I used it anyway, and got an A at AS, goodluck.

25 mark structure would usually consist of

-2 solid definitions explaining the relevant keywords the question is asking (backed with examples if applicable)

-An introduction to the topic at hand, depending on whether it's macro refer back to macroeconomic objectives

-1st Diagram / Explanation of what's happening (from the text)
-Analysis of first diagram, (Chain Links) words such as 'therefore, in hindsight'
-Evaluation of first diagram, words such as 'although, other factors effect' talk about stakeholder's affected
(Evaluation is where you use you're own knowledge to assess the impact of the ongoing of your analysis)

-2nd Diagram / Explanation of what's happening (from the text)

-3rd Diagram / Explanation of what's happening (from the text)

-Conclusion
This is where you weigh up your argument to come to a finalized conclusion; taking into account you're evaluation of the 3 Analysis points you've made. You say what overall effects may occur, the effect on the economy and add relevant concluding factors in regard to the question. Argue different viewpoints and say which you think has the higher weighting. ALWAYS DIRECT YOU'RE ANSWER TO WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING.

Thank you for your help, I will use this :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by queenfatso
Thank you for your help, I will use this :smile:

The above structure is good, but you can get twenty five marks with two good arguments. Only add a third if you have time left at the end, main advice is to read then re-read the question and make sure you are answering it accurately.
Reply 4
Original post by Noahpinion
The above structure is good, but you can get twenty five marks with two good arguments. Only add a third if you have time left at the end, main advice is to read then re-read the question and make sure you are answering it accurately.

Thank you, it's really useful :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'd always start with a definition. You're usually allowed 2 definitions, each worth 2 marks. You can also add 2 diagrams as you go through, which are another 2 marks each. If you do this you'll already have 8/25 marks, if you give a good explanation of your diagrams and link them correctly to your point.

I'd then have two main paragraphs. In each of these, I'd explain one point, analysing and explaining as you go through, creating a logical sequence of thought, e.g. Interest rates rise, so people are more likely to save, meaning aggregate demand will fall so firms are likely to receive less revenue etc.

I'd then finish with a conclusion where you express which of your points will have the largest effect (evaluating) etc. Don't forget to introduce a few new points in your evaluation as you DO NOT just want to be repeating the points you've brought up earlier.
Reply 6
Original post by Jophesxi
I'd always start with a definition. You're usually allowed 2 definitions, each worth 2 marks. You can also add 2 diagrams as you go through, which are another 2 marks each. If you do this you'll already have 8/25 marks, if you give a good explanation of your diagrams and link them correctly to your point.

I'd then have two main paragraphs. In each of these, I'd explain one point, analysing and explaining as you go through, creating a logical sequence of thought, e.g. Interest rates rise, so people are more likely to save, meaning aggregate demand will fall so firms are likely to receive less revenue etc.

I'd then finish with a conclusion where you express which of your points will have the largest effect (evaluating) etc. Don't forget to introduce a few new points in your evaluation as you DO NOT just want to be repeating the points you've brought up earlier.

Thank youu so much :wink:
Reply 7
Another question, how do you start the conclusion? I've heard a lot of people say don't start with "To conclude", "All in one", "To summarise" etc..
Another question, how do you start the conclusion? I've heard a lot of people say don't start with "To conclude", "All in one", "To summarise" etc..

Start your conclusion by acknowledging the Macro-economic objectives and appreciating their value and how they will be affected in regards to your evaluation points. (Assuming it's Macro)

It's subjective to the question in most cases, so by understanding the question you can answer it appropriately. I was watching a good video about 25 mark question structure for the AQA exam board. It's rather long but if you take the time out to follow the tips, you cannot go wrong. Consider it a form of personal investment :wink: increase your productive potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hb_mJkWIA
I'm doing A2 economics this year and my 25 mark questions are appalling, I always get 11/25 marks maximum and I don't know how to get further.
If anyone can help me with the structure (including when to add diagrams and talk about how to make a good conclusion/evalutaion)
I would be very grateful if anyone helps :smile:
Thnx in advance!

Hello. The one thing I would keep in mind about A2 economics 25 markers is what perspective you are writing to. In all 25 markers, you want to be including households, firms and the government (with chains of reasoning) I would include the diagrams within your paragraphs, which you can describe every point within it to develop your answer (obviously including your economic agents). If you are writing a macroeconomic 25 marker, same rules apply, except you have to include Aggregate demand within your essay (consumption, investment, government spending and the balance of payments) Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest