The Student Room Group

Old People Being Racist!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know a lot of people talk about racism in Britain, but I haven't really encountered it among the old so much as I have people from other countries. In my experience, Americans usually seem really tolerant, but Australians can be quite bad and a lot of European people I know are also surprisingly so. I wonder if it's a cultural difference.

(In b4 someone misunderstands racism and accuses me of being racist based on the above sentence.) :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by vendettax
Those comments will affect no one. You could've not brought it up, but you did, now you've made black people insecure.

nope i'm fine bro
Reply 22
Original post by Plainview
Maybe she just meant that he was a bit creepy.

Spoiler

Lmfao. "Looks like it's time to oil up" is my fave tho :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Alpha brah
Lmfao. "Looks like it's time to oil up" is my fave tho :tongue:

I changed it :redface:
Reply 24
Original post by Plainview
I changed it :redface:

Thanks hun :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
tigger? :s-smilie:

I'd say

eenie meenie minie mo, catch a goblin by his toe, if he squeals let him go, ernie meenie minie mo!

Yup we always said 'catch a tigger by his toe' at my primary school, no idea why tbh :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be fair, they grew up in a different generation.

When they all die out, things will get much better. Time is the biggest healer :yep:
My granddad is very racist but he hates everyone, particularly the English.
Reply 28
Original post by Wilfred Little
My granddad is very racist but he hates everyone, particularly the English.

Granddad not English?
Original post by Egghead123
Granddad not English?

He is Irish. He is from Belfast (technically British too but he would hate you saying that :biggrin:) so that should explain it.
To be honest, we only develop the attitudes that we're brought up to. When today's pensioners were born, there would have been very, very few people who weren't white in this country, and everyone is scared (or at least wary) of the unknown. Attitudes are changing, but only as education changes. Within a couple of generations things will be very different.

It's not like they're being intentionally racist with the intent to hurt somebody/their feelings.

When I was younger I was terrified of being on a plane with a Muslim. I was physically scared getting on a flight to New York in 2006, and even then I was old enough to know better! Yes, it sounds ridiculous now, but after listening to all the media attention, plus opinions of older relatives, I was convinced that we wouldn't complete the journey. But now, through education, I realise that it was all rubbish. But people who haven't had that education will still hold the same beliefs.
Original post by Wilfred Little
He is Irish. He is from Belfast (technically British too but he would hate you saying that :biggrin:) so that should explain it.

The best approach to take I think is to hate everyone equally.
Original post by Michael Moon
I find this very disappointing.

Aren't you suppose to be dead?
Reply 33
Original post by Harley
Yup we always said 'catch a tigger by his toe' at my primary school, no idea why tbh :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had fishy. Fishes don't even have toes :confused:

My grandad can be pretty racist, which surprises me because as a Jewish boy growing up he would have seen the effects of racism against his own people happening in another country. My 105 year old great grandmother is more tolerant than him. I dated an Indian Muslim and he was not happy at all! Invited him for Christmas dinner and he kept beating my grandad at cards :tongue: probably didn't help improve my grandad's perception of him, especially when my mum accidentally let slip that we were sleeping together! Shame I can't think of someone I could date that would upset him more.
Original post by Harley

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eenie meenie mo is very old, and there are dozens of versions. Unfortunately the racist one (which is a very modern version- the rhyme has versions predating that one) made it into print first, and then became very widespread.

And since then people have been trying to preserve the accustomed rhyme-scheme of the racist one, without using the offensive word. Some of the attempts are more obvious than others. Tigger? For crying out loud! That's too close to the original. We use tiger over where I live.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've experienced some racist from old people, but ah well they grew up in a different generation I guess. Once one old man was abusing me I wanted to smack him, but I thought he's old so I'll let him off.
Reply 36
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Eenie meenie mo is very old, and there are dozens of versions. Unfortunately the racist one (which is a very modern version- the rhyme has versions predating that one) made it into print first, and then became very widespread.

And since then people have been trying to preserve the accustomed rhyme-scheme of the racist one, without using the offensive word. Some of the attempts are more obvious than others. Tigger? For crying out loud! That's too close to the original. We use tiger over where I live.

Well I'd never twigged what tigger was close to until I was 12 and heard my granny saying the original version, I'd always just assumed it was about Winnie the Pooh. Maybe i was just a very naive child :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lord Harold
My friend was telling me how his 96 year old grandma was watching Ready Steady Cook, and remarked how 'it is scary that people like that might be touching your food' whilst pointing an accusing finger at Ainsley Harriot, when my friend enquired about what she meant by 'people like that' she said 'you know the blacks.' Needless to say he was disgusted, have any of you got any similar stories?

Like Oprah said “There are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die,”. Harsh but ....
My gran is pretty racist.
She's okay being around other races, so not in that sense, but she's a gross generaliser.
Original post by Harley
Well I'd never twigged what tigger was close to until I was 12 and heard my granny saying the original version, I'd always just assumed it was about Winnie the Pooh. Maybe i was just a very naive child :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't sound bad unless you know. But if you know, it sounds awful!

My father-in-law would have a field day with it.:tongue: He tried to tell me eenie meeie mo was intrinsically racist and always had been (this is why I know so much about it!) when he heard us using the tiger version! Tigger would send him into paroxyms.

Quick Reply

Latest