The Student Room Group

Does reading fiction depress you?

Anyone else find this? I much prefer reading factual books TBH, I can actually apply what I learn in them. Especially when you read classics and stuff, they're beautifully written but I just don't like the way they make me think.

Too over-dramatized IMO and not enough of a can-do attitude. I dunno, maybe I'm just reading the wrong books? Or it's that a lot of classics portray women badly and I can't relate to them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alpha brah
Anyone else find this? I much prefer reading factual books TBH, I can actually apply what I learn in them. Especially when you read classics and stuff, they're beautifully written but I just don't like the way they make me think.

Too over-dramatized IMO and not enough of a can-do attitude. I dunno, maybe I'm just reading the wrong books? Or it's that a lot of classics portray women badly and I can't relate to them?

Why don't you read non-classics then? I've never really felt that way, but maybe it's different because I'm a guy. I love reading the classics/modern classics. Hemingway is my favourite, he does not depress me at all. Although, the endings of his books usually bring me to tears. Ha.
Reply 2
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Why don't you read non-classics then? I've never really felt that way, but maybe it's different because I'm a guy. I love reading the classics/modern classics. Hemingway is my favourite, he does not depress me at all. Although, the endings of his books usually bring me to tears. Ha.

I haven't read much Hemingway, recommendations? :smile:
You're right, it could be because you're only really trying "classics" or the wrong type of books.
I read lots of fiction books, and find them very useful, thought provoking and educational at times. Many authors use fiction to express very interesting and forward thinking ideas, you just have to look for them. Pick up some newer books
Reply 4
Original post by Emaemmaemily
You're right, it could be because you're only really trying "classics" or the wrong type of books.
I read lots of fiction books, and find them very useful, thought provoking and educational at times. Many authors use fiction to express very interesting and forward thinking ideas, you just have to look for them. Pick up some newer books

What kind do you read? I'm thinking of trying The Hunger Games as I love the movies :smile:
I haven't read much Hemingway, recommendations? :smile:

I don't think Hemingway will change what you're feeling about fiction. His books are very male focused/deal with "manly themes" of war, resilience, strength etc. But aside from that, he's a fantastic author, I definitely recommend:

A Moveable Feast
Old Man and the Sea (short book)
Farewell to Arms

Those three are my favourites.
What kind do you read? I'm thinking of trying The Hunger Games as I love the movies :smile:

I read absolutely everything, such a mixture. I've read the hunger games books, which are entertaining. But I also read a huge mixture of other books and authors.
I suggest going into a book shop and just reading blurbs, and reviews, to find things you like.
Reply 7
I don't think Hemingway will change what you're feeling about fiction. His books are very male focused/deal with "manly themes" of war, resilience, strength etc. But aside from that, he's a fantastic author, I definitely recommend:

A Moveable Feast
Old Man and the Sea (short book)
Farewell to Arms

Those three are my favourites.

Thanks :smile: It's not the "manly themes" I mind, in fact I prefer reading about stuff like resilience and so on. I loved The Iliad and The Odyssey. It's just classics that go on and on about romantic love and doing stupid stuff in the name of it that sicken me a bit TBH. They often portray men as well as women as being irrational.
Thanks :smile: It's not the "manly themes" I mind, in fact I prefer reading about stuff like resilience and so on. I loved The Iliad and The Odyssey. It's just classics that go on and on about romantic love and doing stupid stuff in the name of it that sicken me a bit TBH. They often portray men as well as women as being irrational.

Haha okay I know where you're coming from now. I wouldn't read any Greek Tragedies then such as Euripides, Sophocles etc. They will get on your nerves, as they did mine :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Haha okay I know where you're coming from now. I wouldn't read any Greek Tragedies then. They will get on your nerves, as they did mine.

Any other good books you know of which don't prioritise romance and have people banging on about their feelings so much? Lol :tongue:
I love reading. Sitting for a few hours in my own little world is amazing.. and if that world is depressing then it's great to be able to get out of it again by coming back to reality.

Reading is one of the skills I'm most happy that I possess.
Reply 11
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I love reading. Sitting for a few hours in my own little world is amazing.. and if that world is depressing then it's great to be able to get out of it again by coming back to reality.

Reading is one of the skills I'm most happy that I possess.

But why would you want your own little world to be depressing? :frown:
But why would you want your own little world to be depressing? :frown:

If the fiction is depressing I mean. It's just like saying why would anyone want to watch a sad film!
Any other good books you know of which don't prioritise romance and have people banging on about their feelings so much? Lol :tongue:

Down and Out in London and Paris by George Orwell

Do you have an account on Goodreads btw? You should use it if you don't. Add me :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If the fiction is depressing I mean. It's just like saying why would anyone want to watch a sad film!

I hate sad films too :tongue: Though some of them are apparently great
Reply 15
Down and Out in London and Paris by George Orwell

Do you have an account on Goodreads btw? You should use it if you don't. Add me :biggrin:

I don't, will make an account later and add you though :smile:

When you say Fiction would you be interested in Magical/High Fantasy?
Sci-Fi?
Reply 17
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
When you say Fiction would you be interested in Magical/High Fantasy?
Sci-Fi?

Pretty much any genre. I prefer positive stuff with character development and not so many slushy romances lol :tongue:
Pretty much any genre. I prefer positive stuff with character development and not so many slushy romances lol :tongue:

Right in that case I recommend to you.

The Age of the Five Triology by Janny Wurts
Magician(and if you want the other thirty books in the series) by Raymond E Fiest
Any of the "Culture" books by Ian M Banks (Player of Games and The Hyrdogen Sonata being my fave)
The Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained set by Peter F Hamilton.

I'm currently on book Five of the "Twilight Reign" Saga by Tom Llyod and would recommend that hearty.
And also if you are a reader with real fortitude and a good memory for Epic Character Lists
And Mazlan Tail of the Fallen saga (It's twelve books, each larger than the last, in tiny font...fantastic though)

However without doubt the single most engaging, thought provking and emotionally engaging books I have ever read were "The Assasin Triology" by Robbin Hobbs.
Don't let the name fool you it's not some action packed teen-flick.
However it is the most depressing series of books ever written and will make you want to kill yourself..or cry for hours.
Once you get over that, it's litterally the best series of books ever written.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Right in that case I recommend to you.

The Age of the Five Triology by Janny Wurts
Magician(and if you want the other thirty books in the series) by Raymond E Fiest
Any of the "Culture" books by Ian M Banks (Player of Games and The Hyrdogen Sonata being my fave)
The Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained set by Peter F Hamilton.

I'm currently on book Five of the "Twilight Reign" Saga by Tom Llyod and would recommend that hearty.
And also if you are a reader with real fortitude and a good memory for Epic Character Lists
And Mazlan Tail of the Fallen saga (It's twelve books, each larger than the last, in tiny font...fantastic though)

However without doubt the single most engaging, thought provking and emotionally engaging books I have ever read were "The Assasin Triology" by Robbin Hobbs.
Don't let the name fool you it's not some action packed teen-flick.
However it is the most depressing series of books ever written and will make you want to kill yourself..or cry for hours.
Once you get over that, it's litterally the best series of books ever written.

Thank you very much :biggrin: Now where to get started? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending