The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by DanB1991
We've already been to mars...

And it's a bit funny, we give india £280million in aid a year... then it spend 45 million on a space programme.... lack of priorities I think...

I am laughing so hard. First, the Indian govt has told your PM many times that they do not need the paltry aid. Its peanuts. Its so tiny, its laughable. But your govt insists & begs India to accept the peanuts to the utter disgust of the Indian govt & people. Why do you wish to humiliate yourself? UK wants to give this symbolic aid , even forcibly, so that it can enjoy the benefits of trade with India, a future economic superpower. The aid is to keep a semblance of connection with India to benefit from India's rise.

India doesn't need aid from the UK and it is condescending in the extreme for us to be sending it. There are people in our own back yard who need it more and aren't getting it because we have to keep up colonialist impressions.

Our military spending is obscene for the same reasons and shows how skewed Britain is from what is really important.

Britain cant afford an aircraft carrier cant afford trident nuclear deterrent.they dont even have a space program.but britain has a prime minister who takes regular trips to newdelhi begging for new contracts more business to save their collapsing economy:biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by rika--chan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E... - history of Indian economy.

The gross domestic product of India in the 16th century was estimated at about 25.1% of the world economy, and before the British started colonizing India in the 18th century, India was the second-largest economy in the world, after the Manchu China. By the time British left India in 1947, India had been reduced to a 3rd world country! India's share of the world income went from 27% in 1700 (compared to Europe's share of 23%) to 3% in 1950.
So one can deduce who took money from whom.

Also that 25% of the world economy belonged to how many of india's people? Most likely about 2%.....

China today has the second largest economy but most of its people still live in poverty.... india has the ninth largest economy but still the majority of it's people also live in poverty, a countries economy means very little if it's wealth is not distributed.

Just think india is above, russia, mexico, canada, spain and australia in terms of its economy... and they have better standards of living in all those countries.
Original post by Inzamam99
Half the problems and conflicts in the world today are the by products of Western colonialism and interventionism.

With all due fairness, the West isn't entirely to blame. The Ottoman empire became far less tolerant after the rise of nationalism and the Arabs kinda sold every one down the river as well, which causes the tensions we see in the ME. Of course, the Arabs sided with the West etc... but it's a whole bunch of stuff that causes a lot of problems in the world today
Reply 63
Also that 25% of the world economy belonged to how many of india's people? Most likely about 2%.....

China today has the second largest economy but most of its people still live in poverty.... india has the ninth largest economy but still the majority of it's people also live in poverty, a countries economy means very little if it's wealth is not distributed.

Just think india is above, russia, mexico, canada, spain and australia in terms of its economy... and they have better standards of living in all those countries.

Please look at your own country before talking about China my friend:biggrin:
Reply 64
I am laughing so hard. First, the Indian govt has told your PM many times that they do not need the paltry aid. Its peanuts. Its so tiny, its laughable. But your govt insists & begs India to accept the peanuts to the utter disgust of the Indian govt & people. Why do you wish to humiliate yourself? UK wants to give this symbolic aid , even forcibly, so that it can enjoy the benefits of trade with India, a future economic superpower. The aid is to keep a semblance of connection with India to benefit from India's rise.

India doesn't need aid from the UK and it is condescending in the extreme for us to be sending it. There are people in our own back yard who need it more and aren't getting it because we have to keep up colonialist impressions.

Our military spending is obscene for the same reasons and shows how skewed Britain is from what is really important.

Britain cant afford an aircraft carrier cant afford trident nuclear deterrent.they dont even have a space program.but britain has a prime minister who takes regular trips to newdelhi begging for new contracts more business to save their collapsing economy:biggrin:

Afford an aircraft carrier... or afford to keep it's population out of poverty... I know what I would prefer our country to spend its money on.
We've already been to mars...

And it's a bit funny, we give india £280million in aid a year... then it spend 45 million on a space programme.... lack of priorities I think...

Tbf, that's pretty damn good value when we spent around 45 billion to go from London to Birmingham :biggrin: Take that as a tongue in cheek comment if you will
Now India, China rise once more!

Beautiful.
Reply 67
Original post by Bill_Gates
Now India, China rise once more!

Beautiful.

Exactly:biggrin:
China is doing very well,the USA cannot pay their debts:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Please look at your own country before talking about China my friend:biggrin:

As in global poverty or relative poverty? Because less than 2% of the british population (hell less that 1%) live on or under the global scale of poverty... compared to how much in india? I thought it was around 50%?

I think i'm going to stop here... because I think i've fallen into the trap of feeding the trolls.
P.S we came to this country for better "opportunities". I can tell you now the opportunities are back in Asia! and I'm profiting quite well from it!

Long may the rise continue. Nice to see Dave flying to Asia every other week begging for investments.
As in global poverty or relative poverty? Because less than 2% of the british population (hell less that 1%) live on or under the global scale of poverty... compared to how much in india? I thought it was around 50%?

I think i'm going to stop here... because I think i've fallen into the trap of feeding the trolls.

lol British empire was built on poverty. Even today your government lives on the back of the poor. Its creating a debt empire once its peasants refuse to pay it all falls down. You see Asia its actually making things and selling them to consumers who cant really afford it.

Improving its own trade balance. You are buying your own poverty.
Reply 71

India's massive poverty is the result of British loot and plundering. Indeed most of areas of the world ruled by British empire are still struggling to root out poverty and corruption. The present generation of UK is not responsible for this human tragedy of epic proportions but British media and historians should teach the true history in UK schools instead of painting a rosy picture about the Raj.:smile:

India has made massive gains in all sectors after independence but the massive population increase makes it increasingly harder to maintain standards of living. Indeed providing food, water, shelter etc. to 1.2 billion people in India is the biggest problem that the world needs to solve. I am sure current UK government would have struggled to do so if UK had the same population size. Even the Chinese system's heavy handed approach would not work in India since it would lead to disintegration of the nation. What India has managed to do is nothing short of a miracle.:wink:

Please remind me who is the richest man in this country? An INDIAN!

The rich in India/China can easily outweigh the rich of Britain.
Reply 73
Original post by de_monies
With all due fairness, the West isn't entirely to blame. The Ottoman empire became far less tolerant after the rise of nationalism and the Arabs kinda sold every one down the river as well, which causes the tensions we see in the ME. Of course, the Arabs sided with the West etc... but it's a whole bunch of stuff that causes a lot of problems in the world today

Ottoman empire is most likely directly responsible for the decline of the Arab world and the end of the golden age in arabian culture.

Sadly Europeans literally butchered north and south america, took advantage of the african slave market (which africans created) and took advantage of china and asia's internal conflicts.

I think the only none European country to do the same or something similar was japan and china in more recent years.
Reply 74

The income disparity in them countries is shocking, as it is with Dubai, Saudi Arabia etc. your GDP means nothing if the top 1% control 98% of it. the fact is there is not one single person (an average person) who would rather live in china or India than they would in the uk, regardless of what i have said about the India - British conflict - the country actually doesn't do too bad of a job of taking care of its people - as a British citizen i get free healthcare and i am guaranteed an education up until university level if i want it. Nobody in India, China, Dubai or Saudi Arabia can say that
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75

Then why do they not re-invest it into india?

Personal wealth means nothing if people continue to suffer, it's the epitome of whats wrong with capitalism. The richest man who lives in the UK is indian while half his country starves... says a lot really.
Reply 76

Personal wealth means nothing if people continue to suffer, it's the epitome of whats wrong with capitalism. The richest man who lives in the UK is indian while half his country starves... says a lot really.

Why are you still here???/
Weren't you suppose to leave???:biggrin:

The richest man in the uk is Indian dont be jealous:smile:

By the time you retire at the current rate Britain is declining you will see people starving here. You already have people dying in this country from lack of warmth, people lining up at food banks. The only reason Britain is still sustaining itself is from what its done to the world in the past. Britain does not "pay its way" any more.

The rich thrive off the poor. Oh i now know im talking to someone who does not know their stuff. Mittal is HEAVILY invested in India. Enjoy your decline.
Original post by SAS13
stop being an idiot, the income disparity in them countries is shocking, as it is with Dubai, Saudi Arabia etc. your GDP means nothing if the top 1% control 98% of it. the fact is there is not one single person (an average person) who would rather live in china or India than they would in the uk, regardless of what i have said about the India - British conflict - the country actually doesn't do too bad of a job of taking care of its people - as a British citizen i get free healthcare and i am guaranteed an education up until university level if i want it. Nobody in India, China, Dubai or Saudi Arabia can say that

lol NHS will be sold off sooner or later due to your corrupt government. This country is taxed too much for it to be economically profitable any more. Full of corruption and greed. Dont act like Britain is some type of utopia you have as much inequality here as anywhere else. People are dying in the NHS from lack of care.
Reply 79
By the time you retire at the current rate Britain is declining you will see people starving here. You already have people dying in this country from lack of warmth, people lining up at food banks. The only reason Britain is still sustaining itself is from what its done to the world in the past. Britain does not "pay its way" any more.

The rich thrive off the poor. Oh i now know im talking to someone who does not know their stuff. Mittal is HEAVILY invested in India. Enjoy your decline.

Well said!:smile:

India was never a poor country before. its economy deteriorated under british rule. Please check the history of world economy in the past 2000yrs & when british ruled india,why did it create so many poor?Where was humanity then?why did the british east india compny become the richest?
That is history.Truth is now you or no one can stop India

Latest

Trending

Trending