The Student Room Group

FP4 invariant lines

Hi, just started the last chapter on FP4 and was wondering how I know when to use mx or y if I am just given a 2x2 matrix. I have just got myself into a lot of confusion since sometimes I see on and other times I see the other.
So what's the difference between times by the vector x and the vector x
mx y

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by firsedge
Hi, just started the last chapter on FP4 and was wondering how I know when to use mx or y if I am just given a 2x2 matrix. I have just got myself into a lot of confusion since sometimes I see on and other times I see the other.
mx y

Thanks in advance

Sorry, but that's incomprehensible. Can you clarify your question, with examples if it would help.
Reply 2
mx y

Thanks in advance

I can't understand that either I'm afraid. Can you give an exam question or an example piece of text from a book to illustrate what you're asking?
Reply 3
off topic but there's an fp4, I thought it only went to fp3?
Reply 4
Original post by blairxoxo
off topic but there's an fp4, I thought it only went to fp3?

AQA has an FP4 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
AQA has an FP4 :smile:

oh right nice, are you doing additional further maths a level then :smile:

I think he's a teacher.
If not, I'm pretty sure he's a maths grad.
Reply 7

I'm a maths grad, but not a teacher - I just help out here voluntarily from time to time :smile:
Reply 8
There's an FP4 textbook online that covers this quite well! It's on the learning resources section!:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by davros
I'm a maths grad, but not a teacher - I just help out here voluntarily from time to time :smile:

Original post by keromedic
I think he's a teacher.
If not, I'm pretty sure he's a maths grad.

Oh right cool, its only now that I realised I meant to ask the OP if they were doing add fm a level.

Is add fm a level a big step up from the further maths a level, so the d2,m3,m4,m5,s3,s4 modules specifically if you have taken them. :smile:
Reply 10
Oh right cool, its only now that I realised I meant to ask the OP if they were doing add fm a level.

Is add fm a level a big step up from the further maths a level, so the d2,m3,m4,m5,s3,s4 modules specifically if you have taken them. :smile:

I took maths before the modular system came in(!) so I'm not familiar with the way everything is broken down in to modules, but from what I know:

D2 is basically more of the same algorithms etc as D1 - nothing mathematically difficult, you either love it or hate it!

S3/4 contain more interesting concepts than S1 (as does S2) but not much more difficult mathematics

M3/4/5 tend to be taken by people who have a keen interest in mechanics/physics. The concepts aren't too difficult, but there is more reliance on advanced trig and calculus e.g. differential equations, hyperbolic functions, complicated integrals etc, some of which is covered in the FP modules.
Reply 11
Original post by davros

When did you graduate? I think I'll forget most of a level maths within a few weeks of taking the final exams.
Original post by davros
I took maths before the modular system came in(!) so I'm not familiar with the way everything is broken down in to modules, but from what I know:

D2 is basically more of the same algorithms etc as D1 - nothing mathematically difficult, you either love it or hate it!

S3/4 contain more interesting concepts than S1 (as does S2) but not much more difficult mathematics

M3/4/5 tend to be taken by people who have a keen interest in mechanics/physics. The concepts aren't too difficult, but there is more reliance on advanced trig and calculus e.g. differential equations, hyperbolic functions, complicated integrals etc, some of which is covered in the FP modules.

Ah right nice, thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Liamnut
When did you graduate? I think I'll forget most of a level maths within a few weeks of taking the final exams.

Late 1980s! There was no internet then but I discovered TSR about 10 years ago when I was doing some work as a mature student and just stayed around to help a bit!

I've forgotten most of my applied maths unfortunately but the pure isn't to hard to remember because it just reinforces itself with practice :smile:
Original post by davros
Late 1980s! There was no internet then but I discovered TSR about 10 years ago when I was doing some work as a mature student and just stayed around to help a bit!

I've forgotten most of my applied maths unfortunately but the pure isn't to hard to remember because it just reinforces itself with practice :smile:

Given that you took A-Levels in the late 80s, how did you come across Discrete Maths?

As far as I can remember, it wasn't in the A-Level syllabus back then. But then again, the Applied paper consisted of Newtonian Mechanics, Engineering Statics, Numerical Methods and Diff Eqns!
Reply 15
Original post by dugdugdug
Given that you took A-Levels in the late 80s, how did you come across Discrete Maths?

As far as I can remember, it wasn't in the A-Level syllabus back then. But then again, the Applied paper consisted of Newtonian Mechanics, Engineering Statics, Numerical Methods and Diff Eqns!

One of my 2nd year uni courses was on Optimisation which covered some of the material.

I've also had a look at some of the threads posted on TSR and skimmed through the D1/D2 textbooks to see what is being taught there. Nothing that inspires me unfortunately :biggrin:
Original post by davros
One of my 2nd year uni courses was on Optimisation which covered some of the material.

I've also had a look at some of the threads posted on TSR and skimmed through the D1/D2 textbooks to see what is being taught there. Nothing that inspires me unfortunately :biggrin:

You should check out Numb3rs. Loads of crap 'maths' on there but he regularly employs algorithms.
mx y

Thanks in advance

Does this help?
Original post by davros

Unfortunately I was only taught stats, no mechanics at schoo,l so had problems catching up at uni.

Always felt school level stats is not proper maths but a soft option, rather like discrete! Obviously uni level stats is just another view of pure maths analysis.

What do you think?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by dugdugdug
Unfortunately I was only taught stats, no mechanics at schoo,l so had problems catching up at uni.

Always felt stats is not proper maths but a soft option, rather like discrete!

What do you think?

Stats shouldn't be a soft option, but a lot of the interesting stuff like probability generating functions, Markov Chains etc have disappeared from the school syllabus now.

I've never been a particular fan of Stats, but it is important - unfortunately the A Level syllabus (for stats) is an utter mess IMHO :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest