The Student Room Group

I'm depressed from still living at home and life in general. Any advice?

I am feeling really down at the moment as i still live at home with my dad. I am a 26 year old guy, so i feel i need to be living away from home. I just do not have the finances to afford to do it. i have had depression in the past, amongst other mental health issues and it really sucks.

i feel living at home also limits me from dating. I feel like it's a mental block in my head that a girl won't be able to accept. i meet girls who like me, but i ask them on dates then get insecure and cancel the date or never respond to them.

i just don't know how i can move out on my own at the moment. I have been in and out of low paid jobs since i left education a few years ago. i have never held a permanent job, mainly because of my previous mental health and depression.

it's either this or i go back to education to better my prospects, maybe in an area of study that will serve me better for finding a job.

it just gets me down because where i live is in the middle of nowhere, so i just have to carry on as best as possible.

sorry to moan so much, but i just feel like i'm in a rut and it's hard at the moment.

any advice would be great, thanks.
Hi there,

I guess you need to get out. Just make that your goal. Do whatever it takes. Get a job, try to stick it out and save as much as possible and then leave. It just seems like you're a bit trapped at home.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I don't see any positives at the moment. I am stuck in a rut and have zero motivation to do anything. I literally lack self esteem. I have motivation to go to the gym, but I feel at home there, but for anything else I have no motivation or drive. I don't want to feel like this and it never used to be like this. I don't know any more. It is frustrating.
Reply 3
No advice for you I'm afraid mate but just to say I know how you feel. I am twenty-nine and am staying in my mum's spare room, no job, no money, no mates and depressed and not knowing what to do.

All I can say is hang in there and I hope it looks up for you.
Original post by Jay84
No advice for you I'm afraid mate but just to say I know how you feel. I am twenty-nine and am staying in my mum's spare room, no job, no money, no mates and depressed and not knowing what to do.

I am in the same boat! how about education wise and past job experience?
Reply 5
Original post by Legendairy
I am in the same boat! how about education wise and past job experience?

I've got a degree and I have had good jobs but my CV is a bit chaotic tbh, done a few different things and earnt some decent coin in the past but I have always been a blagger and don't really have any skills.

At the moment I am just looking for unskilled work anyhow.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't see any positives at the moment. I am stuck in a rut and have zero motivation to do anything. I literally lack self esteem. I have motivation to go to the gym, but I feel at home there, but for anything else I have no motivation or drive. I don't want to feel like this and it never used to be like this. I don't know any more. It is frustrating.

If the gym's a positive in your life, why not turn it into something more than a hobby. I don't know what your qualifications are like but where I live there seems to be a lot of apprenticeships in sport and leisure centre work that the council run. If you find something you enjoy as a job then its not as much of a chore :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Jay84

Thanks, but at least you have more than me, mate. At least you have a degree. Having a degree Is a great back up. I would like to study for one, but have no idea what I would study. that is the most frustrating thing for me.
Reply 8
wow, your comment has made me lightened up. Thanks for sharing it

Quick Reply

Latest