The Student Room Group

Should I take 5 hard A levels??

Hi, I don't know what to do.
I really wanted to take the following subjects, but didn't know if it would be too difficult and if I would have free time.
The subjects are:
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and English Literature.
I can absolutely not decide between them.
If you really want to take 5 hard ones I'd recommend Further maths - works well with maths and Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Further maths instead of English lit and you're good to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks, but further maths is way too difficult, totally out of reach.
Reply 4
so you've already done AS level in all these subjects? how did you find them?
Reply 5
No not yet, what I meant is AS levels
Reply 6
i do five and its hard, but i think worth it if you like the subjects and are good at them. I do biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and geography. I think start with five and you can drop one if you have to.
If you can manage 5 AS, I'd imagine you can do FM...but there's no way I want to put you off English! Bio, Chem, Maths and Lit is a common combination. What do you want to do at uni?

You could do these five, but they'll be a ton of work and you'll have barely any frees...I know from experience! :biggrin: But it is manageable and you'll enjoy it if you like the course content. I do Bio, Philo, Lit, Maths and Psych.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by underestimate
Thanks, but further maths is way too difficult, totally out of reach.

I'm currently doing A2 further maths and I can honestly say that AS FM isn't that much harder than just maths. I didn't even get an A* at GCSE and I still got high As in both maths and Fm at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really wanted to take the following subjects, but didn't know if it would be too difficult and if I would have free time.
The subjects are:

No. Especially if you are taking them for the benefit of getting into uni. Maths, Physics and Eng lit are all you need to be a well rounded intellect.

Physics makes Chemistry and Chemistry makes Biology. And all are underpinned by mathematics. As far as I know most unis only expect you to have 3 A-Levels, so it makes sense to to focus on just three and do your best in those. Ever heard the phrase "spreading yourself too thin"?

A good understanding of Maths, Physics and English will set you up for life.
Reply 10
If you think you can do it, go for it! Coming from someone who did 6 AS subjects, it can be done if you're willing to put in the time and effort, and cut back a little on your social life
Reply 11
No not yet, what I meant is AS levels

oh ok! I was thinking 5 A Levels would be a bit scary!

Really it depends how much time you're willing to put in, how important it is to you, how strong you are academically, how much homework your college sets etc. Obviously you'll need to spend more time studying than you otherwise would, but that shouldn't be to the extent that you have to cut back too badly on your social life. It's all about time management and using your time effectively.

I took AS biology, chemistry, maths, french and classics and got straight As without too much suffering :wink:. If you tend to be good at exams & essay writing and find it quite easy to remember information, you'll do fine. It's challenging, but (mostly!) enjoyably so, especially if you have a real passion for your subjects.
Reply 12
The subjects are:

I am doing Biology Chemistry Math Further Math Physics Critical Thinking and Chinese
Reply 13
you probably wont be able to fit it in the timetable, it depends what degree you want to do
Original post by oyyoyy
If you think you can do it, go for it! Coming from someone who did 6 AS subjects, it can be done if you're willing to put in the time and effort, and cut back a little on your social life

This maybe a bit late, but what AS levels did you take?
Original post by JackTeh96
I am doing Biology Chemistry Math Further Math Physics Critical Thinking and Chinese

Woah, thats a lot!
The subjects are:

Doable if you are willing to put in the effort :smile:
Woah, thats a lot!

regretting it a bit now.. but still a very exciting experience.
Reply 18
This maybe a bit late, but what AS levels did you take?

Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, economics

Quick Reply

Latest