The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

I want to get into LSE

Hi there, I am 15 years old and living in Luxembourg. My dream job is to become an investment banker and my dream university is LSE. The problem is that my check point grades were horrible, I got 28/50 for English, 25/50 for math and 32/50 for science. I know that LSE is an extremely hard university to get into and the acceptance rate is extremely low. These questions might be dumb but um. At what time should I apply for LSE? What A-levels do I need to take? Can I still turn my life around? Is going to university even worth it anymore? It will cost me at least 35,000 pounds for the undergraduate progamm in LSE... Then work a 9-5 job at a bank? Sure I get paid 120,000 a year but the tax on that is like 25%! What should I do? What A-level grades should I aim for???
Reply 1
Hi,
I am going to be brutally honest with you:
If you have bad grades it is unlikely that you will get an offer from the LSE, it is a very selective school (probably one of the most selective in the country)

If you find it difficult to have good grades in high school or to get an offer from LSE, let me tell you that investment banking is absurdly selective. I study at LSE, the vast majority of my classmates are smart and hard-working and yet many struggle to find a job in IB or consulting.

The price of higher education in the UK is crazy. You said you live in Luxembourg so I assume you don't have British citizenship. To study at LSE as an international student, you have to pay between 15k and 30k per year in academic fees (depending on the degree). If you live in LSE accommodations, it is between 10k and 12k of additional fees per year (but still less expensive than most private accommodations in London). Don't expect to pay 35k for your degree, it will be closer to 90k.

If you really want to study abroad, I suggest you apply to universities in continental European countries. France, the Netherlands and Germany have amazing universities where you can study for 1k per year.
(edited 6 months ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Happy homer
Hi there, I am 15 years old and living in Luxembourg. My dream job is to become an investment banker and my dream university is LSE. The problem is that my check point grades were horrible, I got 28/50 for English, 25/50 for math and 32/50 for science. I know that LSE is an extremely hard university to get into and the acceptance rate is extremely low. These questions might be dumb but um. At what time should I apply for LSE? What A-levels do I need to take? Can I still turn my life around? Is going to university even worth it anymore? It will cost me at least 35,000 pounds for the undergraduate progamm in LSE... Then work a 9-5 job at a bank? Sure I get paid 120,000 a year but the tax on that is like 25%! What should I do? What A-level grades should I aim for???

What are your subject choices at 16-19? :s-smilie: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics? If so, aim for the highest results by practicing a lot of past exam papers as possible. Or even better why not take International A-Levels with Pearson Edexcel examboard based here in London? :s-smilie: But the fact you'll pay "International Fees," is likely to 'boost' your application slightly, but ultimately, it will depend on you achieving all A* and A grades in your highschool exams.

You don't need to study BSc Economics, you could also go for less competitive courses which ask for AAA or AAB, take a look on the LSE website prospectus!!! :biggrin:

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Assets/PDF/Prospectus-and-Brochures/undergraduate-guide-2024.pdf

I pray you get into LSE!!! :smile:

Work 9-5 at a bank :giggle:

The first few years in a bank you’ll be doing 80-100hr weeks, and that goes for internships as well (work till 2am then start work at 9am). It’s worth knowing most people don’t land an internship let alone a full time offer & most people with full time offers don’t stay longer then 2-3 years. Roughly half the industry of investment bankers started after covid.

What particular area in IB appeal to you & why? (Other then money)

I think expecting to work 9-5 in an investment bank is rather optimistic.

In any event, you apply for LSE the year before you would be starting. E.g. if you were aiming to apply for starting the degree in autumn 2024, you would be applying in the current 2023 application cycle now (deadline 25th January 2024).

You need excellent grades though. Your A-level subjects will depend on the degree you will be applying to. Anthropology will have different requirements to economics.
Hi, In the SOP, if we have added details related to management, will it reduce the chance of getting an offer for BSc economics in LSE??? I added it because I am applying to some colleges for economics & management courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending