The Student Room Group

General Revising?

Hello!

I'm currently preparing to start revising for my GCSE's which will take place in May through to June. I'm here to ask what is a method of revising, as in how can I revise for everyone of my subjects and do well in them.

I'm not extremely clever, however I do know several programming languages. When I leave school I'm going to attend Sixth Form and study Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics and Photography. However I need two B's and three C's (the B's being the two of the chosen subjects). I've been entrusted to be entered to the higher paper for Science therefore I need a B or above in both Science and Computer Science.

When I first started Secondary School I screwed around a lot however I've become a lot more quiet and rarely talk at school now, I was bullied for four years thus resulting in my missing a lot of work.

So, I really need a good tactic on revising hard, and keeping it up whilst still not over doing it and allowing me to get back on my computer and program in between my breaks.

I must note; that I do not get study leave because two years ago the Year 11's went on study leave and didn't revise thus them failing their exams and ruining it last years Yr. 11 and my Year?

- Will
Hi :smile:

There are loads of revision methods out there, although some of them do not work for everyone. Some things depend on if you are a 'visual' or 'audible' learner.

Visual:
- Flash cards
- Mindmaps
- Flowcharts
- Diagrams
- Colour coded notes
- Nice stationary (if you buy nice looking pens and notebooks, you'll probably be more inclined to use them for note taking)

Audible:
- Record yourself reading your notes out loud, and then play it back.
- Teach others by reading your notes to them (even if you talk to a picture on your wall - it can work!)
- Listen to podcasts (iTunes U has some lectures that are free to download. Although many are at uni level, they're quite easy to understand and are very useful).
- For memorising sequences or formulas, maybe try putting them into a song to help you remember.

Also, no matter what kind of learner you are, DO PAST PAPERS! These are your saving grace and really prepare you for the exams. Keep a file of past papers and mark schemes. Don't be shy about asking your teachers to mark exam questions and papers!

I'm sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, please make sure you take frequent breaks! And don't work all day long - if you are tired/stressed your revision won't be as effective :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First week:

read everything over, books and textbooks and notes etc
highlight any important info. At this stage as much as you need to remember the page you just read

do this for all subjects

second week:

write out each page of TEXTBOOKS highlighted notes.
read through these notes. whittle it down until you get half a page of notes, that you can use to rewrite the whole page of the textbook and hopefully your schoolbook

do this for every subject

third week:

Start now whittling it down further. aim for no more than 3 words per paragraph.

for all subjects. By this stage, if you work hard and reasonably pacey, you should finish the first run through.

fourth week and fifth week - the hardest and most boring part:

repeat weeks 1 to 3

sixth week:

learn the whittled down notes. by this stage, everything should be fresh in the head and should be easier than before.
for each subject

seventh week:

write out the pages the notes show.

8 week:

read over books. Add anything you dont remember etc
learn it!

9 week:

start doing questions. Only a few papers though!

10 week:

review them. revise what you got wrong for a week and a half.

11 week

more papers, only a few again and different papers this time!

12 week:

review papers again and relearn what you got wrong!

13 week:

go crazy with the papers!

i got 9 A* 2 A with this method; personally it works for subjects like english, geography, computing and astronomy; not for maths.

good luck

pain and boredom is the proof of hard work. A* are the rewards.

GG enjoy :smile:
I always find flash cards and past papers useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazza ma razza
First week:

read everything over, books and textbooks and notes etc
highlight any important info. At this stage as much as you need to remember the page you just read

do this for all subjects

second week:

write out each page of TEXTBOOKS highlighted notes.
read through these notes. whittle it down until you get half a page of notes, that you can use to rewrite the whole page of the textbook and hopefully your schoolbook

do this for every subject

third week:

Start now whittling it down further. aim for no more than 3 words per paragraph.

for all subjects. By this stage, if you work hard and reasonably pacey, you should finish the first run through.

fourth week and fifth week - the hardest and most boring part:

repeat weeks 1 to 3

sixth week:

learn the whittled down notes. by this stage, everything should be fresh in the head and should be easier than before.
for each subject

seventh week:

write out the pages the notes show.

8 week:

read over books. Add anything you dont remember etc
learn it!

9 week:

start doing questions. Only a few papers though!

10 week:

review them. revise what you got wrong for a week and a half.

11 week

more papers, only a few again and different papers this time!

12 week:

review papers again and relearn what you got wrong!

13 week:

go crazy with the papers!

i got 9 A* 2 A with this method; personally it works for subjects like english, geography, computing and astronomy; not for maths.

good luck

pain and boredom is the proof of hard work. A* are the rewards.

GG enjoy :smile:

I am going to try this. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I am going to try this. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha no worries!

Very best of luck buddy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending