The Student Room Group

Edexcel As Biology Help!!

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MohammedPatel96
I'm struggling with Biology everything I do in the exam when practising just doesn't seem to be enough if is a 2 mark question ill end up getting only 1 this happens consistently, my friends in Y13 who got A/B in their As biology essentially advice me to write as much as I know about the question because they say that you'd get the marks from somewhere (ie trolling) is this wise at A levels? And what can I do boost my grade from a C to a A

Have you looked at the mark schemes to see what you miss out? :smile: generally, if a question is worth two marks, you'll have to make two points, if three marks, three points and so on. It probably does help to write more than perhaps necessary in order to hit the marks, but obviously don't write too much as that would waste time. Do as many past paper questions as you can, scrutinise the mark schemes and hopefully you'll understand what they expect of you in order to achieve full marks for that question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm struggling with Biology everything I do in the exam when practising just doesn't seem to be enough if is a 2 mark question ill end up getting only 1 this happens consistently, my friends in Y13 who got A/B in their As biology essentially advice me to write as much as I know about the question because they say that you'd get the marks from somewhere (ie trolling) is this wise at A levels? And what can I do boost my grade from a C to a A
I had the exact same problem, what I did was look at the question, write it on a blank piece of paper then wrote down all the points from the mark scheme, meaning when/if the question comes up again in another paper, I know exactly what to write and how much. This is especially effective with questions regarding structures or core practicals. Also read through the examiner reports, they have examples of real answers which got full marks all the way down to 0
Reply 3
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
What I've started doing is for example at the end of my notes for example heart circulation I write all the Q and A relevant to that section of the spec I do this for chemistry but I understand the limitations of this methods but it now helps me a lot.what do you think good or bad method anything to look out for?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390849513.748520.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems good, if it works for you keep doing it :smile: I only started doing this "learning what the mark scheme says" technique once I had fully learnt the knowledge on the topic though. Learning what the mark scheme says only really works on how exactly to word and structure your answers.Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest