The Student Room Group

Experiences with Citalopram?

Hey everyone,

I checked this hadn't been recently discussed before posting, but apologies if there should be somewhere else that I should be putting this.

I just got back from the doctors after an appointment about suffering from low moods, anxiety, panic attacks, generally feelings of depression in general. The Doctor prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram with the suggestion that in a month or so the dosage should be upped.

Generally I'm very happy about this decision, since it's a step towards stabilising my mood and tackling anxiety problems. However, after having a quick search on the web I found a barrage of negative experiences with the drug, people saying they felt horrible, had trouble sleeping, felt zombie-like on them, and other things. The doctor said it may be bad for the first couple of weeks, but now I'm a bit worried?

So I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences, good or bad? Preferably good, since I've not heard anything positive about it so far, but bad is always welcomed, too.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by who.the.heck
Hey everyone,

I checked this hadn't been recently discussed before posting, but apologies if there should be somewhere else that I should be putting this.

I just got back from the doctors after an appointment about suffering from low moods, anxiety, panic attacks, generally feelings of depression in general. The Doctor prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram with the suggestion that in a month or so the dosage should be upped.

Generally I'm very happy about this decision, since it's a step towards stabilising my mood and tackling anxiety problems. However, after having a quick search on the web I found a barrage of negative experiences with the drug, people saying they felt horrible, had trouble sleeping, felt zombie-like on them, and other things. The doctor said it may be bad for the first couple of weeks, but now I'm a bit worried?

So I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences, good or bad? Preferably good, since I've not heard anything positive about it so far, but bad is always welcomed, too.

Thanks!

It made my boyfriend really travel sick but it really helped him get through his final exams! So there's a positive :smile:
Didn't work for me, made me yawn all the time too. I was on them for 3 months. Sertraline was worse.
Reply 3
Original post by redferry
It made my boyfriend really travel sick but it really helped him get through his final exams! So there's a positive :smile:

Hey, thanks! It's strangely comforting to know it at least works for some people. Can imagine the travel sickness though, a day in and I'm feeling fairly disorientated already! :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
Didn't work for me, made me yawn all the time too. I was on them for 3 months. Sertraline was worse.

Hey, thanks for commenting. If you don't mind me asking, did it just not work or did you have any side effects to it?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, thanks! It's strangely comforting to know it at least works for some people. Can imagine the travel sickness though, a day in and I'm feeling fairly disorientated already! :smile:

Hey, thanks for commenting. If you don't mind me asking, did it just not work or did you have any side effects to it?

Thanks. :smile:

Hope it goes well! My advice is don't go to any theme parks! We made that mistake lol
Citalopram made me feel nauseous for the first few days and messed with my sleep a bit too. However, these side effects wore off pretty quickly. Citalopram is a widely prescribed drug and the side effects are mild for most people who take it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Day 1) threw up, shaking, cold, dizzy and nauseous
Day 2) still nauseous, but much better
Next 2 weeks or so) still nauseous, really low appitite, bit more agitated and anxious
Next few months) a mix of almost all of the side effects over time. Mostly tiredness, low appitite and nausea (after just taking them) and a massive case of the zombie effect.
The past couple of months and now) SO MUCH BETTER! No way I could have come this far on my own!
It's been worth all of the hardship to get to this point.
Almost feels as though it restarted my brain. The depression and anxiety went away (along with the happy aswell sadly) and it gave me time to think everything through without emotion getting in the way. Now it's leveled out into a more normal level of emotions.

It's annoying, but deffinately worth it.
For me it was kinda like the depression, but mostly just physical instead of the emotional being there too.

For most people the worst of the ses will be over in about two weeks. After a coupple of months you should notice more of an inprovement.

Give it a try and try not to be too worried. Remember if you're finding any se a pain you can post here and somebody may be able to give you a way to cope with it.
I suggest taking them on a full(ish) stomach to start with so it's more diluted and less of a shock to your system. I started doing that after my bad day 1 and I think it really did help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only felt a little bit sick the first time I took it, the biggest side effect for me is yawning all the time :redface:
Little to no side effects for me. First few days I had an upset stomach but overall, it's been okay.

One thing I have noticed is that when I urinate, I can't "push" it out, if you know what I mean. Can't really describe it any other way.
Reply 9
First two weeks I felt worse, more anxious and had urges to act on bad feelings. BUT I stuck it out and after about four weeks I felt completely cured, I was myself again. This drug pulled me out of the depths of crippling depression. I came off it after 6 months of being well and haven't had an episode since. This was two years ago.

Oh and I also got the side effect of yawning too much! It was very strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My knee-jerk reaction is to say that you shouldn't be concerned with how it has affected other people. If it works for you then that is all that matters. Also, reading about other people's experiences can influence your reaction to the drug e.g. you may be convinced it will/won't work.

I took 20mg for two weeks, then I took 10mg with Diazepam for two weeks. I couldn't eat or sleep so I just stopped taking them and then I started hallucinating, having fits of laughter and running around in traffic. I was put on citalopram as an emergency precaution by my GP as bipolar is suspected and I was sent to a psychiatrist who said we should be 'friends'. I am only 20 and I have seen/heard some funny things lol.
Reply 11
try not to read up on the internet about reviews on medication. most of the time People are only to share negative experiences. If these meds were working they'd be busy getting on with their lives and wouldn't feel the need to come onto these forums discussing their concerns. I was on them myself before being switched to effexor that finally worked for me but researching "worrying" is adding to yiur anxiety that then feeda your depression. you got to get into a positive mindset and believe that you are going to get better and do everything your GP says. I recommend CBT!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
No side effects whatsoever. 20mg made the depression even worse. Nearly got sectioned blah, blah, blah. Helped alot with anxiety though.

Dosage got doubled to 40mg. I got about 3 hours sleep a night on it and the 3 hours were very broken up. Safe to say I wasn't on it very long after that.
I got extreme nausea the first night I was on it, but it has died down (although it hasn't gone) now.

The main problem I'm having is trouble sleeping. I'm awake at least once an hour, and I think I'm only getting a maximum of 5 hours - when I'm one of those people that doesn't function until they've had at least 9! I'm really struggling with it.

Still, hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.
I love it!

My mood is so stable I'm not all over the place, crying or laughing.
I'm reasonable about everything, not going mental because the tea towels weren't hung up right.
I get out of bed at a reasonable time and have less daytime naps.
I'm not so anxious about every single thing.
OCD has lessened and I'm sleeping better.

Only side effects I found were nosebleeds in the morning for a few weeks, so I stopped blowing my nose so hard.

Also HORRIBLE headaches if I take it late or forget it, but that rarely happens.

Quick Reply

Latest