The Student Room Group

Views on abortion

Do you believe it should continue to be allowed or do you think it should be made illegal (worldwide wise)?
Some background:
''According to World Health Organization (WHO), every year in the world there are an estimated 40-50 million abortions. This corresponds to approximately 125,000 abortions per day.

In the USA, where nearly half of pregnancies are unintended and four in 10 of these are terminated by abortion, there are over 3,000 abortions per day.
''
http://www.worldometers.info/abortions/

Personally, I am not against it. There are some cases when I think it should be allowed, such as let's say accidental pregnancy (due to matter such as rape) or if the fetus was screened in its early developing stage and it was found to have some kind of strong disability. I think if the parents wish, they should be allowed to proceed with their decision to abort it.

It does make me angry when you have the 15 yr old teenage girls ending up pregnant because they couldn't be bothered to use the contraception; literally, but even in these situations if they really really couldn't afford/wouldn't have time to look after their babies, I believe only then should they be allowed to abort their unborn child. I am not saying it's right, nor am I promoting it, but it's their choice in the end.

Also, if my fetus was screened for disability, I am pretty sure I'd abort it. Look at the case of Shiloh Pepin; known as 'the Mermadi girl' - who was born in the USA and had condition 'sirenomelia'; in other words her legs were fused. She wasn't supposed to live as long as she did, but she lived to the age of 10 and then sadly passed away. Her parents knew that there's something wrong with the fetus when they went for the screening, yet they never aborted it. I cried when I watched a show about her (you can find it if you type ''mermaid girl'' into YouTube) because it was really emotional and I wouldn't want to get attached to my child and then suddenly lose it. She was a beautiful child and she didn't get to live too long. I'd rather have my child aborted then get attached to it so much and have it die before me. Also, even if my child had a strong disability but let's say they survived and grew to be an adult, they would still be dependent on others (most likely) and what kind of life is that.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223035/Girl-born-mermaid-syndrome-dies-aged-10.html

But what are your thoughts on this? Does your religious background clashes with such decisions&actions? For example, the Roman Catholic Church says that deliberately causing an abortion is a ''grave moral wrong''.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pro-life vs pro-death.
Im all for it however it's not something I could see myself going through.
Reply 3
Pro-choice. Always. Bear in mind that abortion does not stop when made illegal, it simply goes underground and becomes incredibly dangerous for the pregnant woman.

Highly restrictive abortion laws are not associated with lower abortion rates. For example, the abortion rate is 29 per 1,000 women of childbearing age in Africa and 32 per 1,000 in Latin America—regions in which abortion is illegal under most circumstances in the majority of countries. The rate is 12 per 1,000 in Western Europe, where abortion is generally permitted on broad grounds.
For more information, see the Guttmacher Institute's Facts on Induced Abortion Worldwide

If you're pro-life I highly suggest you read that article and assess the importance of the right to have an abortion. They serve a purpose.

Besides, since the world is already overpopulated and increasing daily, would it be viable to suggest an extra 50 million people a year being added to our planet?
Reply 4
IMHO- It's far less evil to terminate the embryo than allow it to grow and than create hell of a loveless parentship.
Also- I'd have no problems with someone terminating an ill fetus (like: mental or physical illness that cannot be cured/maintained in a sensible way). And I'd support an abortion if the kid is a result of rape.
Original post by xForeverx
Pro-life vs pro-death.

Team Pro-Death gets much snappier slogans. Way more hardcore. Alternatively "Pro women having autonomy over their own bodies Vs Pro patriarchal control of women by old white law makers." It's fun to recast positions in emotionally charged ways.
Reply 6
100% pro-choice.
15 year olds shouldn't be having sex.
I volunteer with a charity and the girls must be like 3rd year, they don't know what STIs are, what HIV is, they think it's a game to go round getting laid with every guy they can.

We did this for GCSE religion, where it was a little story of how the baby progresses, like, (probably not correct as it was a while ago):
day 1: Genetic map created
Week 5: my heart developed
Week 15: I heard what music my mum listens to
Week 24: My mum killed me

I found that very hard hitting. It bugs me to see girls carelessly get pregnant (and I know in some cases, it can be rape) but it annoys me when they get pregnant, abort the baby when there are hundreds of desperate parents trying and failing to have children.

I personally would not like to go through it myself, honestly, living with the guilt of knowing you have essentially, terminated a living person, that could be a possible genius child who is the key to curing something, maybe not.

Also, as said, I think it depends on the circumstance, would you want to bring up a child who may not have a life at all? How would you tell them that they are a result of a rape?
But what is a good life in today's society?

I think it's entirely up the the person but if you are careless enough to get pregnant well then, that's your problem.
Reply 8
Original post by LadyEcliptic
15 year olds shouldn't be having sex.
I volunteer with a charity and the girls must be like 3rd year, they don't know what STIs are, what HIV is, they think it's a game to go round getting laid with every guy they can.

We did this for GCSE religion, where it was a little story of how the baby progresses, like, (probably not correct as it was a while ago):
day 1: Genetic map created
Week 5: my heart developed
Week 15: I heard what music my mum listens to
Week 24: My mum killed me

I found that very hard hitting. It bugs me to see girls carelessly get pregnant (and I know in some cases, it can be rape) but it annoys me when they get pregnant, abort the baby when there are hundreds of desperate parents trying and failing to have children.

I personally would not like to go through it myself, honestly, living with the guilt of knowing you have essentially, terminated a living person, that could be a possible genius child who is the key to curing something, maybe not.

Also, as said, I think it depends on the circumstance, would you want to bring up a child who may not have a life at all? How would you tell them that they are a result of a rape?
But what is a good life in today's society?

I think it's entirely up the the person but if you are careless enough to get pregnant well then, that's your problem.

Good to know that Northern Ireland isn't biased in its teaching of GCSE religion... wait
Reply 9
Original post by Messalina
Pro-choice. Always. Bear in mind that abortion does not stop when made illegal, it simply goes underground and becomes incredibly dangerous for the pregnant woman.

If you're pro-life I highly suggest you read that article and assess the importance of the right to have an abortion. They serve a purpose.

Besides, since the world is already overpopulated and increasing daily, would it be viable to suggest an extra 50 million people a year being added to our planet?

This.

Pro-choice.
Reply 10
In b4 men come in trying to police women's bodies.
Original post by xForeverx
Pro-life vs pro-death.

It's not pro-death though is it, it's pro-choice. The choice to do what you want with your life and body.
Good to know that Northern Ireland isn't biased in its teaching of GCSE religion... wait

It gave you the good and bad points, but I suppose, being RC, you *should* believe it is wrong, only in extreme circumstances.

Are all other boards not like that? Don't pin out Northern Ireland, the board is also for England and Wales. So, from my understanding, it's not just NI taught this way.

But it's nice to know people don't discriminate the country but the board.
(edited 10 years ago)
No sure I should answer, especially after all the hate I got on the other abortion thread :s-smilie:

For me it depends on the situation I think. Is understandable if someone has an abortion because they became pregnant in horrible circumstances or if the child will have a poor quality of life due to financial/medical reasons. However personally it doesn't seem right when people have an abortion just because they can and don't care about having unprotected sex. If your old enough to have sex, especially unprotected sex then surely they should have thought about the consequences. I feel they should have thought about how it will affect their 'career' or 'personal/social life' before they made that decision.

(this is just my opinion, I'm not judging people who do make this decision)
I'm all for abortion.

Haters, RUN AT ME!
Reply 15

Overpopulation is not a threat. :nope:
But yes, it should be a choice. :tongue:
And in case I didn't phrase it right, I'm pro choice.

The world is already struggling with what, 7 billion? Another 50 million would put a lot more stress.

I don't think it's fair on women who are crucified for having abortions and then turn to back street abortions. That's turmoil in itself.
Reply 17
Original post by Add!ction
It's not pro-death though is it, it's pro-choice. The choice to do what you want with your life and body.

And to brutally murder someone at the same time.
Abortion's great by me! :yy:
Reply 19

Maybe people should use better contraception then or just not have sex? Simple.

Quick Reply

Latest