The Student Room Group

Bad sleeping pattern - Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder?

I came across this whilst browsing wikipedia... And I can't help but notice that it fits me perfectly. I'm a medstudent so I know I should probably go to a GP about it lol :P but was wondering if anyone has actually been diagnosed with it?

I can force myself to get into a normal sleep pattern when I am at uni, as I have to wake up really early to go to a babysitting job at 7am. But as soon as it's weekends and holidays, and I'm left to my own devices, my sleep pattern nearly always goes down the drain and I always end up falling asleep after 4am. Today for instance, I slept at 6am and woke up at like 11, went back to sleep and woke up at 2 :/ I don't have uni as I have exams coming up so am currently on study leave.

It's been like this for about a year, I would say. In the last summer holidays, I was waking up at like 3pm every day and my family were getting really annoyed with me (and I was getting annoyed with myself!)

So, anyone else in the same boat?
happens to me every day since I don't have a routine atm but try not going to bed one day, you will fall asleep very early and wake up at a reasonable time (around 9.00?)
Reply 2
Original post by shopoholic
happens to me every day since I don't have a routine atm but try not going to bed one day, you will fall asleep very early and wake up at a reasonable time (around 9.00?)

I do that whenever I have to go back to work/school after the holidays, but it doesn't work for the longterm :/ For instance, that weekend after the first week back, I would probably sleep late and wake up even later as a result.
Discipline.
haha I totally understand what you mean. Try moving around a lot, maybe even go for a run or something so your body will feel tired at night :smile: or read some boring book before going to bed.
When I used to go to school, I always stayed up late studying most of the school days but always went to bed at around 21.00 on Fridays because I really needed some sleep. Then I automatically woke up around 9 am and study or do other stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest