The Student Room Group

What is the smartest A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Sure Chemistry and Physics are hard but in Further maths you cover stuff that you do at university level.

Having studied maths, f maths, chemistry and english lit at AS, I'd say that the two maths A levels are a breeze compared to chemistry.

Personally, I found chemistry nearly impossible - too much stuff to learn!
Reply 41
Chemistry for the sheer variety of skills ecompassed, bits of biology, physic and abstract reasoning.

Music for sheer specificity of skills, i was the only person in my county to get an A* in music. You need to be good at performing, composing, aural musical analysis, score analysis and writing essays on the history and development of music with respect to given works. You also need to actually be able to read music, which is essentially a different language when you factor in all the different transposing instruments and the different clefs and especially when you're reading from an old french language handwritten score which isn't written in concert pitch...Much harder than people give it credit for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
I'm going to say French, but I'm biased as I'm doing it. But basically because you need to do so much:

- You have to learn a lot of vocabulary (something common in humanities & sciences)
- You have to apply grammar rules or you'll fail (similar to maths)
- You have to communicate well and confidently
- You have to learn to read effectively and answer coherently (like English Literature or Language)
- You cannot use your own language to express things.
- You need to be able to argue a case and support it on the spot (Oral exams in particular!!!)
- You can never ever ever stop learning this subject!
Reply 43
Original post by Ben_K
Obviously Art, Drama, Photography or General studies right?

Art is actually hard

trust me
Reply 44
Original post by TheCynicalChild
Majority of people have told me it's Physics or Maths.

I do OCR Salters Chemistry though, and everyone I've ever told has winced at that. Guess that's one A Level I definitely shouldn't have high hopes for.

It depends on the person really.

I would say Physics is probably the hardest A level but thats just my opinion!

Oh btw, since you for OCR Chemistry, I was wondering if you could post a picture/scan of the following OCR B Salters Chemistry - Chemical ideas, as I have left my book at school and I urgently need a few pages :frown: Please :smile:

11.3 The P Block

5.8 Bonding, structure and properties: a summary

15.10 Green Chemistry and recycling

Thank you :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by TheMoho
Art is actually hard

trust me

It shouldn't even be an A level... If you can draw, you can draw... You do not need an A level/Degree.
Original post by Pip1309
1) Disappointed psychology isn't a contender when it's much harder than sociology.
2) Surely the most respected (and therefore hardest) A level is maths/further maths, just look at university websites.

i agree! i do psychology, biology and chemistry and i find it the hardest a level, sociology is way too easy, you dont even have to revise much to get an A i heard, but maths/further maths is insane
Original post by Ben_K
It shouldn't even be an A level... If you can draw, you can draw... You do not need an A level/Degree.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ahaha i agree but that is also kind of like saying english shouldnt be a degree, if you can read and write.. you can read and write.. you do not need an A level/Degree. why would you need a degree in that, just to prove you can read or write better than the average person?
Reply 48
Not maths, hard but I found it easyish.

Definitely Physics; plus it was a super massive step up from GCSE. No doubt in my mind!
Reply 49
Got to be Further Maths
Original post by James A
Chemistry, despite me getting an A overall.

Biology requires a different approach, more based on exam technique rather than understanding the material well.

i agree with this!!! but biology isn't entirely exam based technique you also need to understand the material because of the application questions, i enjoy how chemistry works so i don't really find it as hard as some people, can i ask you a question, do you think someone who got a first in chemistry at a russell group uni is smarter than someone who has a first in physics at the same russell group uni?
Original post by TheGameOfScience
i agree with this!!! but biology isn't entirely exam based technique you also need to understand the material because of the application questions, i enjoy how chemistry works so i don't really find it as hard as some people, can i ask you a question, do you think someone who got a first in chemistry at a russell group uni is smarter than someone who has a first in physics at the same russell group uni?

I honestly wouldn't know the answer to that question. So many things to consider.
Reply 52
Original post by TheGameOfScience
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ahaha i agree but that is also kind of like saying english shouldnt be a degree, if you can read and write.. you can read and write.. you do not need an A level/Degree. why would you need a degree in that, just to prove you can read or write better than the average person?

Possibly so yes, although it's more useful to be able to read and write correctly than to know how to draw a pretty drawing.
Reply 53
Personally, I'd say music, further maths, and non-European languages.
Reply 54
Original post by Ben_K

You do not "need" an A level or degree in anything tbh, everything can be taught and learned outside of a formal education environment.

i.e. I see what you're saying but I've never understood art snobbery.
I'd probably say a language. Learning a language requires all aspects of g.
Original post by Ben_K
Possibly so yes, although it's more useful to be able to read and write correctly than to know how to draw a pretty drawing.

true!
Original post by applicant2014
I personally think A2 is harder than AS Psychology.
AS Psycho was more interesting as there were some journals researching on topics which captivated me. ( Bystander apathy, characteristics of a liar, dissociative identity disorder aka mmultiple personality disorder ) I found it interesting so it wasn't that hard to me. A2 looked dull to me. The requirements of the examiners were insane. The time alloted wasn't sufficient. The topics didn't seem to be appealing me.

Ah, our topics for this year are much more interesting in my opinion compared to AS (we did attachments, social psychology and conformity). Although Media Psych started off incredibly boring.

Original post by shordie
I would say Physics is probably the hardest A level but thats just my opinion!

Oh btw, since you for OCR Chemistry, I was wondering if you could post a picture/scan of the following OCR B Salters Chemistry - Chemical ideas, as I have left my book at school and I urgently need a few pages :frown: Please :smile:

11.3 The P Block

5.8 Bonding, structure and properties: a summary

15.10 Green Chemistry and recycling

Thank you :smile:

I leave my books at school if I don't need them over the weekend...

Is it the questions you need from the sections or the content? If it's specific content, I could try looking through my notes for it?

Sorry :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by TheCynicalChild
Ah, our topics for this year are much more interesting in my opinion compared to AS (we did attachments, social psychology and conformity). Although Media Psych started off incredibly boring.

I leave my books at school if I don't need them over the weekend...

Is it the questions you need from the sections or the content? If it's specific content, I could try looking through my notes for it?

Sorry :frown:

Oh no! That's exactly what I did haha! I have a test on AI on monday so I needed the content from those particular sections. It would be amazing if you could please? Thank you for being so helpful :smile:
Reply 59
Maths is nothing when you compare it to FM.

Quick Reply

Latest