The Student Room Group

What is the smartest A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ben_K
It shouldn't even be an A level... If you can draw, you can draw... You do not need an A level/Degree.

Why not? Why can't someone have a solid qualification to prove their skill/development/level of expertise in something like the Arts?

And Art isn't just about being "able to draw". It's about independent research, an exploration of an idea or theme, experimentation with media etc. etc. You cannot achieve a good Art grade if you cannot demonstrate those things effectively. Just being able to draw something does not get you anywhere. I can draw realistic fruits but if I did a whole project just drawing really good apples I would not get a good grade in Art because I've only recorded what I've seen. I haven't explored anything.

Most contemporary artists have studied art or something art related as a degree. They have a qualification which shows their level of expertise in their field. Surely that shows something about the importance of an Art degree.

If the only art-related qualification my school can offer to me is in the form of an Art A Level, why shouldn't I be able to do that?

Yes, Art can be a hobby but it can also be an important subject within a curriculum. Just like, someone can read history books as a hobby or do it as a proper A Level subject in school.

"If you can draw, you can draw... You do not need an A level/Degree.".... well, I say, if you can naturally solve mathematical equations, you can naturally solve mathematical equations... You do not need and A Level/Degree for it. Do you see the flaw in your argument?
Having a natural ability in a particular subject does not dismiss the need for it as an A Level or Degree qualification.

I am so done with people discriminating against art as a proper subject. It is one of the only subjects where you have to create something completely new and independently come up with original ideas, unlike most other subjects where you are literally fed information from a textbook which you then regurgitate into an exam paper.

People who think art isn't a "proper" subject are biased, misinformed, or old-fashioned.

Everyone needs to give more reverence to Art as a subject.
Unless you do the subject as a a GCSE or an A Level or a Degree you are in no position to judge whether it should be taught as a qualification or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Chemistry. Really don't see how anyone would want to progress and do a degree in it.
Reply 62
Original post by TheMoho
Why not? Why can't someone have a solid qualification to prove their skill/development/level of expertise in something like the Arts?

And Art isn't just about being "able to draw". It's about independent research, an exploration of an idea or theme, experimentation with media etc. etc. You cannot achieve a good Art grade if you cannot demonstrate those things effectively. Just being able to draw something does not get you anywhere. I can draw realistic fruits but if I did a whole project just drawing really good apples I would not get a good grade in Art because I've only recorded what I've seen. I haven't explored anything.

Most contemporary artists have studied art or something art related as a degree. They have a qualification which shows their level of expertise in their field. Surely that shows something about the importance of an Art degree.

If the only art-related qualification my school can offer to me is in the form of an Art A Level, why shouldn't I be able to do that?

Yes, Art can be a hobby but it can also be an important subject within a curriculum. Just like, someone can read history books as a hobby or do it as a proper A Level subject in school.

"If you can draw, you can draw... You do not need an A level/Degree.".... well, I say, if you can naturally solve mathematical equations, you can naturally solve mathematical equations... You do not need and A Level/Degree for it. Do you see the flaw in your argument?
Having a natural ability in a particular subject does not dismiss the need for it as an A Level or Degree qualification.

I am so done with people discriminating against art as a proper subject. It is one of the only subjects where you have to create something completely new and independently come up with original ideas, unlike most other subjects where you are literally fed information from a textbook which you then regurgitate into an exam paper.

People who think art isn't a "proper" subject are biased, misinformed, or old-fashioned.

Everyone needs to give more reverence to Art as a subject.
Unless you do the subject as a a GCSE or an A Level or a Degree you are in no position to judge whether it should be taught as a qualification or not.

TLDR most of it... I read the last bit though, I did take Art as a GCSE and it was a waste of time, so I guess that justifies my decision to say it shouldn't be taught as a qualification then based on what you said.
Reply 63
I'd say further maths on the condition that you don't cop out and do decision modules. If you did a combo like (FP1-4 + M4-M5) it would be by far the most advanced A Level.
Reply 64
Original post by Ben_K
TLDR most of it... I read the last bit though, I did take Art as a GCSE and it was a waste of time, so I guess that justifies my decision to say it shouldn't be taught as a qualification then based on what you said.

Well you missed the best bit of my argument...
Your school might have taught it badly.... because I learnt a lot out of my own art gcse...
May I ask why it was a waste of time?
Reply 65
Original post by TheMoho
Well you missed the best bit of my argument...
Your school might have taught it badly.... because I learnt a lot out of my own art gcse...
May I ask why it was a waste of time?

It's useless. I think people who can draw/paint however are extremely talented, although I do not feel they need an A level/degree qualification, as I said earlier - If you can draw, you can draw - you do not need a qualification to tell me that.
Reply 66
Original post by Pip1309
1) Disappointed psychology isn't a contender when it's much harder than sociology.
2) Surely the most respected (and therefore hardest) A level is maths/further maths, just look at university websites.

Maths actually has the highest percentage of students attaining an A*
Reply 67
Original post by James A
Chemistry, despite me getting an A overall.

Biology requires a different approach, more based on exam technique rather than understanding the material well.

Yeah I know, you can know everything in biology and still get a B rather than an A or higher as you need to know what the examiner is looking for in an answer. Usually half of my answer I get no marks for, even if it's relevant.

I'd say the hardest A levels to obtain an A* in are Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Further Maths
Original post by JAIYEKO
What I mean by the smartest is which a level will be most respected if you said you got an A* in? Or in other hand, which subject would you need the most knowledge in to excel

English Language
English Literature
Further Maths
Single Mathematics
Use of Mathematics
Physics
History
Biology
Chemistry
Law
Geography
Geology
IT
DT
French
Spanish
German
Art
Photography
Food
Economics
Accounting
Business
Dance
Drama
Government and Politics
General Studies
PE
Sociology
Physiology
And Music?

Notoriously, the hardest A-level is Further Mathematics. However, if you think logically I'd argue the hardest subject would possibly be a foreign language or English Literature.
Reply 69
not sure, they all take different skill sets really. Personally I found humanities subjects the hardest and sciences relatively easy.
Reply 70
I would argue and say that there is no "smartest" A-level. Sure, there are statistically smart subjects...there are subjects that are viewed as the smartest for their accreditation...but there can't be one.

If someone has a strong talent in Maths, then surely A-Level maths, with the right previous knowledge, would be easy? The same would go for every subject. I know plenty of people who do Art and Photography and ace it, and have done for as long as they've done art; simply because they are talented with Art. Whereas those like me, without much artistic-in-this-form skill, failed it even before GCSE.

I also believe that if you bring a child up in a certain way, you can give that child talent. 90% of a child's abilities, aspirations and opinions is down to upbringing. For example, the Chinese government bring up some children from a very young age to compete in the Olympics for example.

Just my 2p.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Latin is awful. I have no idea why I took it. It has such a huge range of skills- vocab learning, grammar rules, noun and verb endings, literature analysis..
All of my other A levels are an absolute breeze compared to Latin.
Reply 72
Original post by GeogBerry
Maths actually has the highest percentage of students attaining an A*

Maybe because the lower ability students don't give it a go. Idk... It's one of the only subjects that need certain GCSE requirements i.e. at least a B in GCSE maths to do (at my sixth form anyway).
Reply 73
Original post by Ben_K
It's useless. I think people who can draw/paint however are extremely talented, although I do not feel they need an A level/degree qualification, as I said earlier - If you can draw, you can draw - you do not need a qualification to tell me that.

An Art qualification does not simply show that a person can draw. It shows much more than that. This is the point I am trying to make and you are missing it.
im just saying, only 1.3% of media studies students achieved A*, only 9.4% got an A.

ridiculously hard to do well in.
Reply 75
Original post by Mike_123
Everybody knows Chemistry is harder than Physics.

The two hardest A levels are Chemistry and Further Maths.

And how would you know since you don't study both subjects?

Getting an A* in Further Maths isn't any harder than getting one in Maths. The AS is really easy and it's only modules such as FP2/3 and M3+ that constitute as being hard. But most of these can be avoided by Decision, Stats or whatever...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Chloe_P
And how would you know since you don't study both subjects?

Getting an A* in Further Maths isn't any harder than getting one in Maths. The AS is really easy and it's only modules such as FP2/3 and M3+ that constitute as being hard. But most of these can be avoided by Decision, Stats or whatever...

It's the general consensus that Chemistry is harder than Physics.

Also, A* FM is still difficult, considering most take FP2 and FP3. AS modules mean nothing when it comes to getting the A*. You can't compare A* maths to A* FM. That's ridiculous.
I'd say Further Maths (but as usually it is only taken be highly able mathematicians, it has the highest percentage of top grades).

I would say chemistry comes in at a close second, as it has both some tough concepts and a large amount of material to study.
Reply 78
Lower ability students DO take maths A level. That's why the standard is lowered in core subjects- English, maths and sciences have grade boundaries lowered because people who aren't particularly good at any subject tend to take the most common subjects. More niche subjects, however, are only really taken by people who are very good at them- no one takes music or art A level unless they are extremely good at music or art.
Probably maths and everything within it (like pure maths, core, statistics,mechanics and whatever else is there) history, Biology and Chemistry.. Personally wouldnt say language a levels are hard if youre a fluent speaker, I did russian came out with A's in as and a2.

Quick Reply

Latest